PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you pick up along the way rather than pack in initially?

zombiegrad
02-24-2011, 16:55
There are a few items that I don't know if I'll need on my thru, such as sun screen, body glide, etc. I'm wondering if I should not bring or buy them until I know for sure whether they'll be useful for me. Thoughts?

What items do you wait to pick up along the trail?

Red Hat
02-24-2011, 17:02
probably won't need any sunscreen or deet until later. Bodyglide is good to have to start, imo.

Slo-go'en
02-24-2011, 17:13
I've had to buy both sunscreen and a long sleeve, sun block shirt because I didn't think to bring either. (Georgia in early April). Its not until sometime in late April or early May that you start to get consistant shade.

Since you come from a warm climate, don't forget a warm hat and light gloves.

the goat
02-24-2011, 17:24
you should definitely carry a spare pair of boots with you at all times.:D

Spirit Walker
02-24-2011, 18:17
It is good to have sunscreen until the leaves come out on the trees. My husband got badly burned ears in March on the AT.

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 19:19
On the PCT I ended up buying an enormous can of DEET and a T-shirt to protect me from mosquitoes. I also bought a light cotton skirt to wear when I did laundry. You can't wear rain chaps while doing laundry.

Blissful
02-24-2011, 20:41
Oh I'd bring body glide right off the bat. I really didn't use sunscreen to be honest. I packed in DEET later. Other stuff I picked up - decent insoles and Crocs, the brand name, not the knock offs. My feet and ankles did better in them. And decent socks. A new t-shirt later on when the other stunk.

SassyWindsor
02-24-2011, 20:49
Not a good idea to buy any gear at the last moment.