PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section in May

mississippihiker
02-24-2011, 17:35
First section hike in May, six nights and seven days in GA. I've researched weather and tried to read up on here, but I could use some point blank suggestions from you experienced hikers. Here's my initial thoughts, feel free to make suggestions. Thanks!

North Face Convertible Pants
Extra pair of shorts
Under Armor T-Shirt (2)
Patagonia Capilene2 Crew (1)
Patagonia Capilene2 Pants (1) (not sure how cold it will be at night)
Light Fleece Jacket (morning time)
Hiking Socks (2 Pair)
Under Armor Compression Underwear

Go easy on me...I'm a rookie!

scope
02-24-2011, 17:55
I think this is pretty good. How about camp shoes, like crocs? Personally, I like to have extra u/w since its light and stuffable anywhere in the pack, even though I typically don't have to use it (except right before getting into my car, or getting a ride back to the car).

FatMan
02-24-2011, 21:35
Early May or late May?

bigmac_in
02-24-2011, 22:43
I'd only take one pair of pants, and also add an extra pair of unnerwear.

Otherwise you look OK - although I personally wouldn't spend the money for the name brands.

I am, however, a big fan of the NF convertible pants.

JaxHiker
02-24-2011, 23:28
I concur with bigmac. Where and when exactly?

daddytwosticks
02-25-2011, 08:31
For me, if I was going in the early part of May, I'd bring more/better insulation. What's your raingear look like? :)

Speer Carrier
02-25-2011, 09:49
I'll add to the question of what part of May? I spent one night on a May 1st several years ago at Woods Hole Shelter, when the temp went down to 29 degrees. That would not be likely in late May.

JaxHiker
02-25-2011, 10:46
Definitely want some insulation if hiking earlier in the month. And daddy made a good catch. You want raingear. Spent 2.5 days in solid rain last May.

mississippihiker
02-28-2011, 03:27
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm looking at the second week of May. Starting at the State Park to Dicks Creek Gap. So for the suggestion of better insulation what would that be?

As for rain gear, I've got a North Face Jacket that has worked in some rough conditions in the Dominican Republic, but still working on the pants aspect. Suggestions?

This is a great help so keep it coming. Thanks!

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 22:39
mississippihiker, what's your trail name? I'll be doing the same section (76 mi) in June and will keep an eye out at the shelters for your name in the log.