PDA

View Full Version : 2 new HS tarptents out

fullofadventure
01-07-2005, 19:48
For people who want to gear up early for 3 season backpacking check out Henry’s new designs.

http://www.tarptent.com/new.html (http://www.tarptent.com/new.html)

I like this new version over the old ones because of the extra headroom and peak vent. I might just have to get me one. I am conflicted with this tent and the Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo.

poison_ivy
01-07-2005, 21:16
Aarrgh! Just when I convinced myself that I don't need to buy any more tents!!

I didn't see the weights for the new Squall listed anywhere though. Is it not on there yet or am I just missing it?

- Ivy

fullofadventure
01-07-2005, 21:45
Henry wrote this one 2 other sites.

Weights are 1-2 ounces more than the current models (but well worth it, IMHO). The Squall 2 with full extended floor (as shown) weighs 35 ounces on my scale in the stuffsack. If you bring your own pole (or dual poles), you save 2 ounces for a total of 33 ounces. If you want to go even lighter, you can leave a stake at home (but bring another piece of guyline) for the 3-stake setup and a savings of another 10 grams or so. Subtract another 7 ounces or so for the sewn-in extended floor if you want to go floorless.

Pricing will be about the same as the pre-sale pricing of last year (and the tents now come with dual ditty pockets inside).

Big Dawg
01-07-2005, 23:30
I spoke w/ Henry about a month ago, & he said a new Cloudburst would be out in the spring. Can't wait to see what improvements he made to that one. I'm 6'5", & Henry agreed a bit snugg, end to end, w/ extended floor in the original model. He said the new Cloudburst would better accomodate us tall hikers!!!

SiuWonfung
01-07-2005, 23:58
Awsome, thank you for this post on the tents! I will definitely have to check them out further.
you might be interested in checking out the catenary ridgeline tents post too, it has some info that I found very useful as well.

Sincerely, McGuyver

steve hiker
01-08-2005, 00:03
You're aging fast there, McGuyver

stickman
01-08-2005, 21:32
I have an old model Squall w/o floor, and I've wondered why folks like the sewn in floor. Without a floor, you can tuck in the edges of your groundsheet if you want to seal up, then untuck them in the middle of the night, lie on your side, stick your peeshooter outside the tent, and take a leak without even getting out of yoursleeping bag. Now that's what I call convenience!

Stickman