PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

LHMJones
02-24-2011, 23:07
We have provided Trail Magic every year and sometime twice each year along the AT in VA. Any suggestions on getting out the word on our location and dataes? We provide meals, snack, drinks, and moral support. Over these few years we have helped anywhere from 5 to 35 hikers over a weekend. Want to help as many as possible so date and location are important. Thinking the last weekend in June (25 and 26).

Pony
02-25-2011, 01:42
Magic should be unexpected. That's why it's magic. If you get the word out, then it's just a hiker feed.

Toli
02-25-2011, 07:28
REALLY Pony??? "Then its just a hiker feed"... That's harsh... Here's a little 411 for you... Magic is an illusion, umm that means it's fake... Umm, not real(Tryin' to dumb it down so you can understand it) What LHMJones does ROCKS!!! Just like Christmas, I know Santa did not bring those presents... On that specific day... Just for me... But I like 'em... Thanks LHMJones...

C Seeker
02-25-2011, 07:40
To make sure you get a good amount of people I would say look at the place you want to do the magic at. Here is a artical which map man published which I find really useful. I tells you the mean and medium hiking days per section. Looking at where you live I would say to get the most people would be around June 5-15. But that also does depend on weather to. Huge snow storm would hold people back a few days.

Hope this helps you out. Thank you for providing your magic.

LHMJones
03-24-2011, 12:38
Thanks for the input. Yes, that is why we are doing it at South River Hut near milepost 65 in SNP. Appreciate the reply,

LHMJones
03-24-2011, 12:40
Actually, the magic is in meeting the hikers and giving something back to the community of hikers and trail workers. Its magic!

skooch
03-24-2011, 12:53
So there is no summertime magic because "most" of the hikes have passed the southern states by then? :( My long distance hike is starting at Springer June 1st thru July and August due to wk commitments.

Trail Dancer
03-24-2011, 13:27
LHMJones is my dad...he came out in 07' while I was thru hiking to support the hikers! My husband and I thru hiked in 07' and my husband thru hiked also in 04'. I think that random acts of kindness can always be considered MAGIC! We are trying to spread the word so we see as many hikers as we can. We will be located just after SWIFT RUN GAP at SOUTH RIVER HUT on JUNE 25/26 in the SNP.

skooch
03-24-2011, 14:32
you guys sound awesome. thank you

Tinker
03-24-2011, 14:48
Magic should be unexpected. That's why it's magic. If you get the word out, then it's just a hiker feed.

LHMJones: "Want to help as many as possible".
I doubt that what anyone would call it makes any difference to the OP.
I'm sure that they are taking into consideration the possibility of non-hiking freeloaders showing up.
I just hope they can say "No".

Blissful
03-24-2011, 15:31
Thanks for the input. Yes, that is why we are doing it at South River Hut near milepost 65 in SNP. Appreciate the reply,

There is no "hiker" hut at South River in SNP, only a PATC work storage area. Also the last week of June is pretty late for helping hikers at this point. Most have already past

We will be at Smith Roach Gap parking (near Hightop Hut) on Friday of Memorial Day weekend for our annual hiker picnic if you all want to come out with us. My hubby and I host it, and we've had a few WBers come out in the past. We usually get 15 -20 hikers and most spend several hours with us.

Hey and Trail Dancer my son and I hiked in '07.

Gray Blazer
03-25-2011, 08:29
Ignore the naysayers and have fun (and save a piece of bread for Lone Wolf).

weary
03-25-2011, 13:08
Ignore the naysayers and have fun (and save a piece of bread for Lone Wolf).
A lot of people certainly seem to enjoy the trail vicariously by providing food and drinks to hikers. But charity to folks with the leisure to go hiking for six months has always struck me as a bit misplaced. Surely there are far more needy people given the state of the economy.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2011, 13:11
But charity to folks with the leisure to go hiking for six months has always struck me as a bit misplaced. Surely there are far more needy people given the state of the economy.

yeah i agree

WingedMonkey
03-25-2011, 14:12
A lot of people certainly seem to enjoy the trail vicariously by providing food and drinks to hikers. But charity to folks with the leisure to go hiking for six months has always struck me as a bit misplaced. Surely there are far more needy people given the state of the economy.

The only trail magic i remember is when someone leaves water jugs along the trail in an area that's springs are dry.

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2011, 14:43
The only trail magic i remember is when someone leaves water jugs along the trail in an area that's springs are dry.
I see your TH was in 1995, since then it's become a circus, especially in the south at the start of thru-hiker season. But also in other places, too much in my opinion.

WingedMonkey
03-25-2011, 15:03
I see your TH was in 1995, since then it's become a circus, especially in the south at the start of thru-hiker season. But also in other places, too much in my opinion.

I've been back. I've seen the hostels full to the rafters and the road crossings full of cars with hiker picnics and preachers. Kinda shocks the system when coming out of the solitude.
:-?

brian039
03-25-2011, 15:27
I enjoyed trail magic more when it was unexpected. I say go find the most random dirt road crossing you can find and set up there. It will mean more to hikers that way and you'll get a much better feeling knowing you truly made someone's day unexpectedly!

max patch
03-25-2011, 15:38
since then it's become a circus, especially in the south at the start of thru-hiker season.

I ran in zero pre-planned hiker feeds on my thru way back in the dark ages.

Couple years ago I did an 8 mile day hike from Woody Gap to Neels Gap. In that short stretch I came across 3 pre-planned hiker feeds. Fancy ones at Woody and Neels, and a smaller one at Jarrad Gap (group humped their stuff about a mile from Lake Winfield Scott).

Given those 2 alternatives which would like to experience on your hike?

mikec
03-25-2011, 15:59
As a section hiker, it made my day when I came across someone giving out food or drinks on the trail. I also have cooked hot dogs and given out drinks on the trail and have gotten appreciation by hikers as well as a sense of satisfaction myself. I say go for it.

weary
03-25-2011, 20:34
As a section hiker, it made my day when I came across someone giving out food or drinks on the trail. I also have cooked hot dogs and given out drinks on the trail and have gotten appreciation by hikers as well as a sense of satisfaction myself. I say go for it.
Well, the trail, and those that use it, is obviously important to folks on White Blaze.

My question is whether we have seriously thought about alternative contributions to the trail. I decided long ago that more important than feeding folks with the leisure of a six month walk, is the trail itself. We all complain about the condition of the trail. Think about improving that trail condition, rather than feeding folks perfectly capable of feeding themselves.

And in the unlikely likelihood that we can achieve that to our satisfaction, let's think about needs of society beyond feeding folks on a six month vacation.

mikec
03-25-2011, 21:50
Well, the trail, and those that use it, is obviously important to folks on White Blaze.

My question is whether we have seriously thought about alternative contributions to the trail. I decided long ago that more important than feeding folks with the leisure of a six month walk, is the trail itself. We all complain about the condition of the trail. Think about improving that trail condition, rather than feeding folks perfectly capable of feeding themselves.

And in the unlikely likelihood that we can achieve that to our satisfaction, let's think about needs of society beyond feeding folks on a six month vacation.

I work with two different trail clubs maintaining the trail as well as shelters so I've contributed to the trail. But I still say that nothing beats trail magic, especially when you are having a rough time on the trail.

Blissful
03-25-2011, 22:02
Excuse me = Can you guys lay off and let us do what we want?? If we want to feed hikers it is OUR CHOICE

For heavens sake.

Go work in the soup kitchen or a trail if that's where you feel led.

I feel led to feed hikers at Smith Roach Gap in SNP on Memorial Day weekend.

No one I know is keeping score on do-gooding. Its all "filthy rags" anyway

End of story

weary
03-25-2011, 22:30
Excuse me = Can you guys lay off and let us do what we want?? If we want to feed hikers it is OUR CHOICE

For heavens sake.

Go work in the soup kitchen or a trail if that's where you feel led.

I feel led to feed hikers at Smith Roach Gap in SNP on Memorial Day weekend.

No one I know is keeping score on do-gooding. Its all "filthy rags" anyway

End of story
I don't have a clue to what you mean by "it's all filthy rags anyway." But why the anger? Everyone is obviously free to do what they want -- within the limits of the law and common sense. This is a public forum. People post in hopes of getting a response. It becomes an interesting forum if people occasionally get a response they may not like.

If you feel inclined to feed hikers at Smith Roach Gap in SNP, just do it. Feel free to ignore my thoughts that you should think about possibly more useful things to do with your spare time.

Frankly, I was a bit embarrassed on my walk north when a guy with treadless tires on a junk car offered me coffee and donuts. He obviously was sincere. I just felt he didn't have a clue about the reality of the situation, that I should be giving him things, not the other way around.

Perhaps your anger is based on perceived criticism of something you enjoy.

Well none of us like criticism. But I intended none. Do whatever you want. I was just suggesting more useful things might give you even more pleasure.

max patch
03-25-2011, 23:15
Mr Bruce used to say that most pre-planned trail feeds were actually for the benefit of the giver, not the recipient.

Mr Bruce is a wise man.

Northern Lights
03-25-2011, 23:24
I have never heard of trail magic, but I think it is the nicest, sweetest thing for people to do. And if they wish to do it because it makes them feel good, or because they want to continue to be a part of the trail when not hiking, I think it is a really nice gesture.

Penguin
03-25-2011, 23:35
I have never heard of trail magic, but I think it is the nicest, sweetest thing for people to do. And if they wish to do it because it makes them feel good, or because they want to continue to be a part of the trail when not hiking, I think it is a really nice gesture.

Trail magic is anything that is an unexpected gift of charity to the hikers on the trail. It can be from a person, or nature. People will often leave coolers of beer along a trail, or soda, water, fruit whatever. Sometimes people will set up in a site accessed by car, and cook for hikers, give them massages, or even type letters dictated by the hiker and hand deliver them (Pete and Simons Correspondence Service)

Nature gives trail magic, in beautiful views, a clear stream, 15 sunny days in a row, or a frost that kills the mosquitos.

By rule trail magic is something that is always free. Trail magicians never expect a fee from the hiker or ask for a suggested donation. Not that if you have funds you shouldn't shove a few bills in the guys pocket. It is always free though and monetary fees are never asked for. To repay trail magic, it is hoped that in the future the hiker helps other hikers by offering his/her own magic. If you don't live near one of the dozen or so National Scenic Trail. A donation to the trail association for tools or what not would suffice.

Some people expect money from hikers. This isn't trail magic. Nothing magic about a store, even if it's near the trail, best you get is someone taking money for a burger made with dirty hands.

A lot of Trail Magic is anonymous you never know who left the 100 gallons of water in that dry stretch, or that 30 pack under the tree. You are expected to pack out your empties though and not litter. If you can't pack out a banana peal, for example, don't eat it. Also a trail magician should come back and pick up the remains of the magic.

mweinstone
03-25-2011, 23:48
i watched wolf do magic. dont need film to prove it. he aint a lier so he will admit it. he waltzed into the campground at td and had a six of cold beverages specificaly to hand out. later in the eve he came by with cake. he was loking for anyone who wanted a non alcoholic drink and some sustanance other than hops in their gut. ive seen him make coffie for folks and help little old ladys across trails.

Penguin
03-25-2011, 23:51
now thats trail magic!
I just offer my place up for free to AZT hikers, I live about a mile from the Arizona trail in Flagstaff. No donations accepted. Free Starbucks coffee and pastries to boot. Washer Dryer, Wifi on my Mac or Dell when im using the Mac for school. Couples get my bed, I'll take the couch.

Gray Blazer
03-26-2011, 00:00

Hiker feed is like a party. You can invite needy people to your party ifn you want to. Most people prolly wouldn't.

Trailweaver
03-26-2011, 00:19
I don't live close enough to do any trail magic on a regular basis, but have always wanted to. Also, I've never had the experience of trail magic in the form of a cool drink or burgers. . . there were times I would have loved to top a hill and seen a cooler down below. Still wishing for that someday.

I did, however, get a ride into town that was unexpected and most welcome, and although it's been several years ago, I absolutely cannot thank those folks enough for that kindness. I will never forget it.

Trail Dancer
05-23-2011, 14:20
Thanks for all of the comments. My LHM and I have

Trail Dancer
05-23-2011, 14:27
We have provided Trail Magic every year and sometime twice each year along the AT in VA. Any suggestions on getting out the word on our location and dataes? We provide meals, snack, drinks, and moral support. Over these few years we have helped anywhere from 5 to 35 hikers over a weekend. Want to help as many as possible so date and location are important. Thinking the last weekend in June (25 and 26).
Thanks for all of the comments...

LHMJones and I (plus a few others) will be just past SWIFT RUN GAP at SOUTH RIVER HUT on JUNE 25/26 in the SNP. We are Potomac Application Trail Club volunteers and have been maintaining trails for 15+ years. After doing trail magic in 2007 when I was thru hiking we have tried to give back by doing trail magic each year. It is fun to meet other thru hikers, give advise, trade stories, have fun and eat. Hikers have always appreciated the kindness.

sarman
06-05-2011, 09:33
So how was it? We were at Loft Mtn campground doing the same that weekend. Over 2 dozen hikers, 3 dozen meals. 9 actually spent the night with us. A ridgerunner came by and ate as well.

One Half
06-05-2011, 09:50
I don't live close enough to do any trail magic on a regular basis, but have always wanted to. Also, I've never had the experience of trail magic in the form of a cool drink or burgers. . . there were times I would have loved to top a hill and seen a cooler down below. Still wishing for that someday.

I did, however, get a ride into town that was unexpected and most welcome, and although it's been several years ago, I absolutely cannot thank those folks enough for that kindness. I will never forget it.

I'm not close to the trail either but I like to think I do my share of magic. If I meet a thru hiker or anyone who is in need of food and I know I have extra - I share it. Recently met a thru hiker while I was on a weekend hike and then met him 5 days later up the trail to give him a lift to the train into Boston. I drove out 2.5 hours to get him and 2.5 hours to drop him off. I will also share anything else I have and don't need for the completion of my trip or know I can do without until I get home (extra water treatment, etc).

On a recent trip that was blisteringly hot, I got a lift back to my van from some folks on my way back to my van and then ran into other hikers I had seen earlier on the trail who were a little short on water. Had a case of water in the back of my van and let them take all they wanted to refill their water bottles so they could finish their day hike a little more comfortably.

Just do what you can. You may be surprised how something unplanned and seemingly small can go a long way to making someone's day.

curtisvowen
06-05-2011, 15:51
At the A.T. & Interstate 40 crossing, I've picked up 2 coolers left behind with food in them and garbage nearby. I'm in bear country and have a cub nearby that's robbed one of them before I picked it up. Do your thing but please pick up after yourself.

hikerboy57
06-05-2011, 16:02
I just finished Earl Shaffers "Walking with Spring". Trail magic is nothing new, and earl took advantage of peoples kindness when it fit his schedule, but when he didnt feel so inclined, he just kept on moving.HYOH WOWTM.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2011, 16:06
I just finished Earl Shaffers "Walking with Spring". Trail magic is nothing new, and earl took advantage of peoples kindness when it fit his schedule, but when he didnt feel so inclined, he just kept on moving.HYOH WOWTM.

I also recently re-read Walking with Spring and I was struck by how often Earl accepted meals in the homes of people he met but moved on afterwards and declined offers to stay overnight, sometimes moving on in darkness or pouring rain.

hikerboy57
06-05-2011, 16:12
Ive read AWOL, becoming odyssa,just passin thru, and Earls book is easily my favorite.Anyone who hasnt read it, you can order it from ATC.Point though is if you dont want trail magiic, take earls example and simply keep walking. And if you happen to be an "angel" dont get insulted if someone refuses your genorosity.