PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands to Damascus Va.

dhock83
02-25-2011, 00:47
I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.
Thanks for any tips or hints.

dhock83
02-25-2011, 01:07
I am thinking of hiking from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus Va. in the end of March. I figured it to be about 33 miles but am not sure of what the climbs will be like going sobo. I also plan of haning in my hammock and was wondering what camping was like between shelters. I am planning on cold nights and rain but if anyone has any tips of weather it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure yet if I want to take three or four days to do this strech since I will be with two other novice hikers.

Ok I may aslo be extending the trip by starting at Fox Creek.

Pony
02-25-2011, 01:24
I think sobo, may be easier than nobo, but I'm sure others with more experince will chime in on this. Even so, it looks as though you have a few decent climbs in there, so don't under estimate that section. I would take a minimum of four days if you have inexperienced hikers with you. The weather can turn nasty up there, even in late march. Camping shouldn't be a problem, and if the weather is good, you'll be hiking through a little slice of heaven. Just be prepared.

p.s. I'll be hiking this section sobo in May, so I am curious to see what others have to say.

Rick500
02-25-2011, 01:44
I did that section northbound in October. You're in for a treat--it's really something to see. You should have an easier hike southbound; there's a whole lot of uphill northbound.

harrisonholly
02-25-2011, 09:52
10 years ago, I and 3 other family members did the excact hike that you are talking about doing the first week in April. The forecast looked good so we prepared for moderate weather conditions. Woke up the next morning inside the (Thomas Knob) shelter, covered in snow (including those in the loft), 8 degree weather, without the chill factor, howling winds, horizontal snow and limited visibility. Like idiots we continued on to Damascus, over Whitetop in blizzard conditions. It was freezing cold, horribly wet and miserable but......the best damn experience ever! We all lost our trail virginity that trip (ooohhhh Baby!) and it's an amazing place to hike. But as previously stated, conditions can change unexpectedly and quickly so be prepared. And defenitely plan for 4 days. Any less for a group with some novice hikers would be rushing it and not fun.
Good luck and kiss the ponies for me!

bigcranky
02-25-2011, 10:00
Awesome section. Well graded climbs. Plenty of places to hang along the way -- I'd especially recommend hanging along the creek under the Hassinger bridge.

Frog
02-25-2011, 10:13
Great section some ups and downs add at least one extra day if leaving from fox creek. And if you have not that section add it. I left my car at Mount Rogers Outfitters and used there shuttle service to get to my starting point. Cost around $30.00 .There are some good hammock areas on this section too.Weather can change up there at any time I had 14 inches of snow in the first week of April and had 80 degree days in march too.

wornoutboots
02-25-2011, 11:06
Great section some ups and downs add at least one extra day if leaving from fox creek. And if you have not that section add it. I left my car at Mount Rogers Outfitters and used there shuttle service to get to my starting point. Cost around $30.00 .There are some good hammock areas on this section too.Weather can change up there at any time I had 14 inches of snow in the first week of April and had 80 degree days in march too.

+1

Definately extend it to Fox Creek, even if you get in late on the 1st day, Old Orchard isn't far from there & there should be plenty of place to hang. Many, many cool campsites all along this section. The views are so amazing if you have good weather you won't even notice the climbs. The climb up the Saunders SOBO is a bear!! I suggest rewarding yourself the next day by hitting the Cafe @ 1/2 mile off the trail in Taylors Valley for a real meal & and Ice Cream :sun

Enjoy!

TheCheek
02-25-2011, 13:03
Novices should be able to do this in 3 days no problem. I did this section Sobo during my Nobo thru. Family came to visit during trail days and we took a 2 night trip with them, ended up being back in town for lunch on the 3rd day. Absolutely beautiful section, pretty easy going, but challenging enough for folks out of backpacking shape.

fredmugs
02-25-2011, 13:47
4 days for 33 miles???

I'm not bragging but I did the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus SOBO in 3 days. Very easy section to hike. I also took a hammock and spent one night about a mile or so past the side trail to the summit of Mt Rogers. Plenty of spots to stealth hammock and I wanted to make sure I was out of the pony zone.

Rick500
02-25-2011, 14:37
I did the section (northbound) in 3 1/2 days (late Thursday afternoon through Sunday noon) at a relatively leisurely pace. Started at dawn on Friday and Saturday and hiked through very early afternoon. Stopped at the hiker parking lot in Grayson Highlands, didn't go through to Fox Creek.

bigcranky
02-25-2011, 14:42
I'm not bragging but I did the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus SOBO in 3 days. Very easy section to hike.

You're not bragging, but you are doing at least TWICE the average daily mileage of a section hiker.

Four days to hike from Fox Creek to Damascus is a pretty good average for less experienced hikers, or those who aren't in thru-hiking shape.

Rick500
02-25-2011, 15:26
I did the section (northbound) in 3 1/2 days (late Thursday afternoon through Sunday noon) at a relatively leisurely pace. Started at dawn on Friday and Saturday and hiked through very early afternoon. Stopped at the hiker parking lot in Grayson Highlands, didn't go through to Fox Creek.

Er...incorrect math...about 3 days actually.

Blissful
02-25-2011, 21:35
SOBO is easier, imo. Hope you're used to cold weather hanging, it can get cold there (esp the new hikers you are with also). And with two novice hikers, take your time and enjoy it.

fredmugs
02-26-2011, 10:22
You're not bragging, but you are doing at least TWICE the average daily mileage of a section hiker.

Four days to hike from Fox Creek to Damascus is a pretty good average for less experienced hikers, or those who aren't in thru-hiking shape.

Now that I think about it I guess 12 miles is probably about the average for a section hiker. When I started hiking the AT a 15 mile day was pretty tough on me. Then I blew out my knee hiking in Maine. I started riding an exercise bike for rehab and kept getting stronger and stronger and stronger. I now have zero knee pain and can knock out 20 or more miles from day one. My pace never hits 3 mph - I just keep going and only take one break longer than 10 minutes all day. No rush - just don't like standing still.

ShaneP
02-27-2011, 17:39
Going SOBO, I'd suggest that you stop on the ridges about 1/4 mile before Thomas Knob shelter. Views are incredible and plenty of places to hang with views from the hammock.

S

Ashman
02-27-2011, 18:07
Great section be prepared for anything weather wise. It changes on a dime in that area. enjoy the hike!

wornoutboots
02-27-2011, 19:51
Great section be prepared for anything weather wise. It changes on a dime in that area. enjoy the hike!

+1 about the weather! My wife I were hiking Fox Creek to Elk Garden a few years ago on 4th of July weekend. Day 1 & 2 = picture perfect high 70's all the way along the Crest trail (Day1), to Wise (Day 2) but on Day 3 totally different story! foggy & breezy all day with severe temp drops! by the time we climbed out of Massie gap, I knew about Fatman's Squeeze from a previous trip & I knew I had to get my wife warmed up & that is the only place to getout of the weather up there, I made her hot chocolate & Ramen & stayed @ 30 minutes. Being the trooper she is she said let's get to the shelter, we trudged through worsening conditions all the way to Thomas Knob. We got there in the early afternoon & throughout the day many many hikers came in & one was so hypothermic, that he stripped down & got in 2 sleeping bags for several hours b4 he recovered. Neat area but always remember "The Mountains Create their own weather" especially in those exposed tops of the highest mountain in VA. FYI- I'm a section Hiker & hike from Fox Creek to Damascus in 4 days, after Daylight savings

Have a Smashing Good Hike!

Montana Mac
03-12-2011, 22:59
I have planned to hike from Mount Rogers back to Damascus the week of 4/18. I have hiked this section twice n/b.

The last time was 4/9/09 on my attempted thru hike. It snowed the day prior.

This is my trail journals for that trip

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=267025

From Partnership Shelter to Damascus is 63 miles based on the 2009 guide book I used. I am figuring taking about 5 1/2 days to hike this at a leisurely pace. This will be my first multi-day hike since getting off the trail in 09 with a foot injury.

When you get to Dickey Gap it is a short hitch into Troutdale - there is a hostel there and also Jerry's. If you go to Jerry's, if he can, he will shuttle you back to Dickey Gap.

The profile generally is an easier one going SOBO as compared to going NOBO

The cost of the shuttle from Damascus to Mount Rogers is $60.00 for one person. The parking fee to leave a vehicle at the outfitters is $2.00/day but that also gives you a free shower

Good luck on your hike

Montana Mac
03-13-2011, 11:59
# DAY START--------------------- END ------------------------------- DAILY

1 Partnership Shelter --------->Trimpi Shelter -----------------> 10.60 miles

2 Trimpi Shelter ---------------> Hurricane Mtn Shelter --------> 9.10

3 Hurricane Mtn Shelter -----> Wise Shelter -------------------> 10.90

4 Wise Shelter -----------------> White Top Mtn Camp --------> 11.80

5 White Top Mtn -------------> Camp Saunders Shelter -------> 11.90

6 Saunders Shelter -----------> Damascus -------------------------> 9.40

Total 63.70

This is my planned days/ mileage for this trip. This is based on my 2009 Appalachian Pages guide book

bigcranky
03-13-2011, 12:44
This is my planned days/ mileage for this trip. This is based on my 2009 Appalachian Pages guide book

Looks like a great plan. Have a fun hike -- that's a great area.

dhock83
03-14-2011, 23:27
Going SOBO, I'd suggest that you stop on the ridges about 1/4 mile before Thomas Knob shelter. Views are incredible and plenty of places to hang with views from the hammock.

S
What is the water like in this area?

sam4msu
03-15-2011, 02:54

....Wet!!!

jigsaw
03-15-2011, 18:10
gonna be out there from april 15th thru the 22nd atkins-damascus with my wife and 12 year old daughter cant wait lets hope for nice weather.

D'Artagnan
03-17-2011, 10:08
It probably goes without saying, but be sure to take a decent camera on this hike. No farther than you're hiking, the extra weight shouldn't be a huge concern and you'll definitely have some great opportunities for photos you'll treasure for a lifetime -- especially for your newer hikers. This is probably my all-time favorite section and it's definitely easier SOBO. If the weather's decent, don't rush yourself.

As an aside, the spur trail to summit Mount Rogers is a little disappointing other than being able to say you've been to the highest point in Virginia. It's a wooded summit without a view. The change in flora at that elevation is interesting though.

wornoutboots
03-17-2011, 11:12

The only water is at Thomas Knob Shelter, down the hill behind the shelter inside a corral. I would set up camp, then head over to the shelter, like mentioned, there are many many GREAT sites w/in a 1/4 mile, North of shelter sites have the views, South of shelter sites have more wind blocks, that might help some ppl depending on what weather you hit while up there.

Berserker
03-17-2011, 12:14
The only water is at Thomas Knob Shelter, down the hill behind the shelter inside a corral. I would set up camp, then head over to the shelter, like mentioned, there are many many GREAT sites w/in a 1/4 mile, North of shelter sites have the views, South of shelter sites have more wind blocks, that might help some ppl depending on what weather you hit while up there.
Actually there is a more reliable source in that area at Rhododendron Gap. I've been up there when the Thomas Knob source was dried up, and the one at Rhodo Gap was still flowing. The one at Rhodo Gap is about 0.1 miles off of the AT. Just follow the horse trail going (South) and you'll see a fenced in area where the spring is located.

Montana Mac
03-17-2011, 13:34
Actually there is a more reliable source in that area at Rhododendron Gap. I've been up there when the Thomas Knob source was dried up, and the one at Rhodo Gap was still flowing. The one at Rhodo Gap is about 0.1 miles off of the AT. Just follow the horse trail going (South) and you'll see a fenced in area where the spring is located.

Two quick questions.

Is there a sign for Rhododendron Gap? I know in the south they have signage for a lot of the gaps - I also know this should be about 8/10 of a mile before I get to Thomas Knob Shelter and after Fatman Squeeze if I am hiking SOBO

Does the horse trail go off to the left if I am SOBO?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Lone Wolf
03-17-2011, 13:54
Two quick questions.

Is there a sign for Rhododendron Gap? I know in the south they have signage for a lot of the gaps - I also know this should be about 8/10 of a mile before I get to Thomas Knob Shelter and after Fatman Squeeze if I am hiking SOBO

Does the horse trail go off to the left if I am SOBO?

Thanks in advance for your reply

yes and yes

Bare Bear
03-17-2011, 15:07
And always order pizza from Parnership! Looks like a good plan. I took a friend from FS 42 up to Springer and back this week and it was great meeting all of the 2011 starters that day.

Montana Mac
03-17-2011, 15:17
Thanks Lone Wolf

Berserker
03-17-2011, 15:52
yes and yes
Yeah, what LW said.

Make sure to pay attention to where you are going when you hit those junctions because there are trails going all over the place up there. You won't likely get lost because it's fairly open with not much foliage, but just pay attention...especially if it's foggy.

Montana Mac
03-17-2011, 16:00
Thank you Berserker

wornoutboots
03-22-2011, 11:04

Thanks for the correction! is that a running stream or a boxed spring??

Ladytrekker
03-22-2011, 11:41
http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/

http://www.atdist.com/

Berserker
03-22-2011, 12:13
Thanks for the correction! is that a running stream or a boxed spring??
It's a tiny stream that generates from a spring coming out of a big rock. The spring is the first thing you come to when you go into the fenced in area, and there is usually a nice pool to collect water out of right there. Thought I might have had a pic of it (cause I've probably hiked that area 8 - 10 times, and I take pictures of everything), but I couldn't find one.

ChinMusic
03-22-2011, 14:36
Consider the Creeper Trail as an alternative for the last ~10 miles SOBO into Damascus. It is a nice stroll along a river to end your hike. There are several places to camp along the river as well.

schnikel
03-22-2011, 17:18
My wife and I did most of the section you are talking about a week ago. First 2 days out was sunny and amazing. the last day we were socked in fog and had freezing rain and ice with probably 50 MPH winds at Thomas Knob shelter. Prepare for any weather!
FYI- there was water everywhere, no worries.
schnikel

Montana Mac
03-22-2011, 17:21
Consider the Creeper Trail as an alternative for the last ~10 miles SOBO into Damascus. It is a nice stroll along a river to end your hike. There are several places to camp along the river as well.

Is it "open camping" or only at designated sites?.

I've done the AT twice through there - the Creeper might be a nice alternative.

ChinMusic
03-22-2011, 21:26
Is it "open camping" or only at designated sites?.

I've done the AT twice through there - the Creeper might be a nice alternative.
I will defer to Lone Wolf or another local for details of the rules. I do know that there are plenty of established sites along the river. Been there, done that.

The Creeper ain't anything like the AT. It is just a VERY gradual, smooth, wide downhill trail into Damascus. It is very pretty. If one does not hike it I would suggest hiring a local bike business to drive you up to the pass and coast to Damascus on a bike, like 17 miles into town. I did that last year at Trail Days and enjoyed the ride. I plan on doing it again this year. There are restaurants/shops along the way for ice cream/lunches. Hours of operation for these shops can be dicey.

wornoutboots
03-22-2011, 21:45
though the Creeper is beautiful, it is so flat & hard packed, it kills my feet & my back, I've hiked the last 10+ miles in a few times. That's just me. I would suggest grabbing a bike out of Damascus at the many bike rentals & riding up the creeper for a day! To each their own!! Have a Blast!

wornoutboots
03-22-2011, 21:47
Sorry Chin music I didn't read you post about the biking but hey, Great minds think Alike : o )

Hooch
03-22-2011, 22:17
I'll be doing this section starting this coming Sunday from Wise Shelter to Damascus. Looking forward to it. :D

ChinMusic
03-22-2011, 23:05
I'll be doing this section starting this coming Sunday from Wise Shelter to Damascus. Looking forward to it. :D
There is a VERY nice site to camp just north (~1/8 of a mile) of Wise if you wish to camp instead of sheltering. It's just accoss a small creek up on top of a small hill......beautiful.

chelko
03-23-2011, 13:25
There is a VERY nice site to camp just north (~1/8 of a mile) of Wise if you wish to camp instead of sheltering. It's just accoss a small creek up on top of a small hill......beautiful.

Stayed there this past Friday. Hiked in at night under the full moon from Massie gap. The shelter was full and there were about 8 tents around it (elegally) and about 10 tents and a couple hammocks at the site. All the water sources were flowing strong.

TexasEd
03-23-2011, 16:41

I did this in 2009, but we started at Dickey Gap which is 50 miles from Damascus and we did the 50 miles in 3.5 days. I would recommend considering this if you think you can do it.

Our campsites were Old Orchard the first night, White top Mtn the second (long day and rain after lunch) and Thomas Knob the 3rd.

Highlights were Blueberries on Pine Mtn. Ponies and views at Rhododendron Gap and the view from Buzzard Rock after White top mtn. We took the Creeper trail into town.

The water at Thomas Knob was almost non-existent when we were there.

TexasEd
03-23-2011, 16:45
Argggh messed up my post. Last night was Saunders Shelter .

schnikel
03-23-2011, 16:47
Just an FYI- the water at Thomas Knob is flowing fine as of last week.
schnikel

ChinMusic
03-23-2011, 16:56
The water at Thomas Knob was almost non-existent when we were there.
That's the one where you have to hike behind the shelter to a fenced-in area? The idea being the water coming out of the fenced-in area is void of pony void.

TexasEd
03-23-2011, 17:06
That's the one where you have to hike behind the shelter to a fenced-in area? The idea being the water coming out of the fenced-in area is void of pony void.

If by pony void you mean pony poo then yes.

We went down to the fenced area (Aug 09) and it was basically a stagnant puddle. While we were deciding what to do a big rain cloud blew over the mountain and completely fogged us out. We went back to the shelter; which has a new corrugated steel roof and put out bottles on the picnic table and caught rain water.

ChinMusic
03-23-2011, 17:19
If by pony void you mean pony poo then yes.

We went down to the fenced area (Aug 09) and it was basically a stagnant puddle. While we were deciding what to do a big rain cloud blew over the mountain and completely fogged us out. We went back to the shelter; which has a new corrugated steel roof and put out bottles on the picnic table and caught rain water.
I left my water bottle on that picnic table last May. Luckily I didn't have to use my "back up bottle" when a group of bird watchers gave me a bottle of water at the next road crossing (SOBO). They heard me talking to my buddy about the next water source and offered us water. An accidental Yogi.

Doc Mike
04-16-2011, 19:29
I'm doing the section from fox creek(603) to Damascus from 4/28 to 5/1. thanks LW for the suggested starting point. hope to see some of you on the trail.

Doc Mike

cnikirk
03-07-2013, 22:56

I'm responding to an old post, but I am getting ready to do this same hike with a few friends. I also figure this will be about 33 miles from Grayson to Damascus, but I'm not sure which entry point or trailhead I should start on. Since I will be travelling with some beginners, I really want to keep this hike to no more than 33 miles in 3 days time, which may be a tall order anyway. Does anyone have any advice on where to start exactly? Looks like water is not a problem on this route.

Thanks!

wornoutboots
03-07-2013, 23:21
Massie Gap - PM Loan Wolf & he can arrange a shuttle out of Damascus

wornoutboots
03-07-2013, 23:23
or Lone Wolf :D

& A BIG WELCOME to WB :welcome:welcome:welcome

schnikel
03-07-2013, 23:26
If you start at the backpacker's trailhead in Grayson highlands, you hike up a .8 mile spur trail to meet the AT, i think. Then head south to damascus. It's a great hike with great views! Never had to use a shuttle in that area but never heard anything thing bad about LW!
Schnikel

cnikirk
03-08-2013, 21:39
Wow thanks all, this is great info!

cnikirk
03-08-2013, 21:39
or Lone Wolf :D

& A BIG WELCOME to WB :welcome:welcome:welcome

Cool, thank you!

cnikirk
03-12-2013, 19:33
I have been looking at the map and it also seems a good place to start is Wise Shelter to get in 33 miles proper to Damascus. If I start there, it would be nice to go past Thomas Knob and camp somewhere around Elk Garden? Is that doable and/or recommended? I am going to have a couple of people with me that may struggle with anything larger than 12 miles a day, so I'm trying to break this hike up into two nights of camping and three days hiking. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2013, 19:41
I have been looking at the map and it also seems a good place to start is Wise Shelter to get in 33 miles proper to Damascus. If I start there, it would be nice to go past Thomas Knob and camp somewhere around Elk Garden? Is that doable and/or recommended? I am going to have a couple of people with me that may struggle with anything larger than 12 miles a day, so I'm trying to break this hike up into two nights of camping and three days hiking. Thanks.

good plan. there's good camping just in the woods beyond the parking lot at elk garden

cnikirk
03-12-2013, 21:04
good plan. there's good camping just in the woods beyond the parking lot at elk garden

Excellent thanks! You guys are great.

flytuc
03-26-2016, 16:21
I know this is a very old thread but guess its the best place to ask this. I am planning on hiking around the area to see the bald and the ponies. I am trying to put together a 5 - 6 day hike using a shuttle and either going northbound or southbound. If I am going southbound is there any way to park before hiking into Damascus. would really like to bike the rest of the way down to Damascus. I have an email into one of the bike rental/shuttles to see if they do this? Like bring the bikes to us up on top of the hill. Anyone have any suggestions other than what I am planning. Thanks and glad to be here..

MuddyWaters
03-26-2016, 17:49
I presume you mean biking the virginia creeper. There is parking for it several places, but sounds like you want to do it from whitetop all way to damascus. I think you probably should be able to roadwalk to the parking there from an AT road crossing in mt. Rogers area.

Someone more knowledgeable will chime in Im sure.