PDA

View Full Version : New to the A.T. / Seeking your Guidance

RhodesArt
02-25-2011, 01:06
Hello all.

The other day I decided I need to get back into Nature and finally step foot on the Appalachian Trail. I want to hike for at least a week and will have a friend coming along with me. We're both experienced, athletic, and photographers.

We will leave New Orleans on March 27th. My first thought was to summit Mt. Mitchell. I just read about Roan Mountain and its surroundings. This area seems to be what I'm after as well...

Half of the fun is in discovering the trail and its secrets on your own, over time. At the same time, some advice on a good Starting Point to hike this area for roughly a week would be most appreciated. I have read about shuttle service's and know I will have to organize this as well.

It really feels like I'm meant to be going on this trip, to this area.

Thank you for your time.

Dave Rhodes
www.RhodesArt.com

Second Half
02-25-2011, 01:30
Can't help you in that region, but if you decide to drive up to Pennsylvania for your hike I have a request.

Throw a case of Blue Runners, a couple jars of olive salad, some bags of Zapps, a couple pounds of andouille, about a dozen Hubig's and a sack of oysters in the car. I'll pay ya!:)

On second thought, I'm on a diet.

Have a great hike!

RhodesArt
02-25-2011, 01:51
Ha! I actually just sent friends back in LA a care package of Gator Jerky, Crawfish Boil Spices, Hot Sauce, and Beignet Mix... just in time for Fat Tuesday.

Cookerhiker
02-25-2011, 10:13
Hello all.

The other day I decided I need to get back into Nature and finally step foot on the Appalachian Trail. I want to hike for at least a week and will have a friend coming along with me. We're both experienced, athletic, and photographers.

We will leave New Orleans on March 27th. My first thought was to summit Mt. Mitchell. I just read about Roan Mountain and its surroundings. This area seems to be what I'm after as well...

Half of the fun is in discovering the trail and its secrets on your own, over time. At the same time, some advice on a good Starting Point to hike this area for roughly a week would be most appreciated. I have read about shuttle service's and know I will have to organize this as well.

It really feels like I'm meant to be going on this trip, to this area.

Thank you for your time.

Dave Rhodes
www.RhodesArt.com (http://www.RhodesArt.com)

I guess you know by now that Mt. Mitchell is not on the AT.

Taking you at your word that you're athletic and experienced, you're still coming from a flat, warmer climate to hiking up and down mountains with potentially 2,000' of elevation gain & loss at a clip (depending on where you hike) under conditions which can be very winterlike in the high Southern Appalachians. So the most important consideration for you IMO is (1) being aerobically fit and (2) gear & clothing. Make sure you're prepared for nights in the teens, snow, freezing rain, etc.

As far as where to hike, my first thought is starting at Springer and hiking as far north as you can get - 67 miles to the last road crossing in GA at Dick's Creek Gap (Rt. 76), 108 miles to Winding Stair Gap (Rt. 64) in NC. Or if you want a generally more challenging hike, start at Dick's Creek and hike 96 miles to Fontana, southern gateway to the Smokies. Both hikes take you over Standing Indian Mountain, highest on AT south of the Smokies, but the latter hike also takes you to some nice balds with wonderful views - Wayah, Wesser, Swim, Cheoah.

No matter what, a late March start means you'll be sharing the campsites/shelters with thruhikers.

Have a great hike! Glad to see anyone who gets back to nature.

Memphis Tim
02-25-2011, 11:16
Years ago I was staying the village of Montreat near Ashville and hiked to Mt Mitchell on something called The Old Toll Road. It is an an abandoned tourist highway that was made obsolete by the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a beautiful solitary walk if a little creepy when I passed through a seemly abandoned squatter camp of old trailers just before the gate to the BRP.

Blissful
02-25-2011, 11:21
The balds of NC are beautiful. You can also get some good photogprahy in north of Damascus in the Grayson Highlands SP

Tennessee Viking
02-25-2011, 13:17
Roan is a popular place for beginners. Carvers Gap to 19E is a good overnighter. I would suggest maybe starting at Erwin or Indian Grave Gap, and end at 19E for a multi-day trip. Or go as far as Dennis Cove/Hampton Blue Blaze.

If you want to do Mt Mitchell, I would suggest doing the Mountains to Sea Trail or Black Mtn Crest Trail. The trails are very rugid and steep in parts, and not for beginners.

The MST you will have to watch for because you can't camp on NPS Parkway property. But once you step onto Pisgah Forest property you can camp anywhere you want to as long as there are no restrictions.

If you want to get some true backcountry on the MST and away from the parkway. I would start at Jonas Ridge/Table Rock Rec Area and go towards Beacon Heights.

If you bring two cars, you can car-hop along the parkway section of the MST from Asheville.

RhodesArt
02-25-2011, 13:56
Thanks for all the help everyone. Definitely great information.

I do realize I am coming from (below) sea level and plan on hiking the high elevation. I used to be a professional snowboarder and have climbed and camped on many Fourteeners. I've been in some hairy situations, even saved a friends life in a major avalanche (still have the newspaper article). I'm smart enough to know it will be challenging, but I run 5 miles a day and am actually in better shape now than in my earlier 20's. My friend coming with is a fire fighter. We're good.

Time to hike!

RhodesArt
02-25-2011, 14:45
Not sure if I came off overly confident in my reply... was in a rush. I'm thankful for all of your time and helpful hints. I'm just really really excited and want to be hiking today :)