PDA

View Full Version : Stove questions

ec.hiker
02-25-2011, 02:33
I have a couple different stoves The Msr Dragonfly >Need to order new pump

an alcohol stove which I don't like to use in the winter

a no name full size burner that hooks up to the full size gas canisters. The gas canisters go for 5 bucks at walmart of two of them they are about 9 inces with a 6 inch circumference.

my question is this. Should I pick up the pocket rocket and ust the little gas canisters or will these extra large canisters be available on the trail also? Also I am worried what the little gas canisters will run out super fast I have never used one. I am thiking I would shed close to a pound switching to the msr I am not sure if its worth it though?

mkmangold
02-25-2011, 03:23
Pocket Rocket and Mangold Mamba has you covered. Consider a woodstove, too.

crazystick
02-25-2011, 03:55
Pocket rocket is a great choice. I have used it for all my backpacking til now, I just recently decided to try an alky stove for my thru. The fuel canisters last! There are two sizes of those fuel canisters for the pocket rocket. Small one will last a week about and the bigger one lasts about two weeks. Rest assured they don't run out super fast like u might think.

JaxHiker
02-25-2011, 10:37
I love my Snow Peak LiteMax.

Spokes
02-25-2011, 10:49
The pocket rocket is a nice little stove. No worries finding canisters along the way. Many thru's end up swapping out half-empties left in all the hiker boxes all the way to Katahdin.

But, I think you'll be tempted switching over to your alchy stove since it's by far the most popular on the trail. Put it in your bounce box just in case you have an epiphany.

Good luck.

ARambler
02-25-2011, 11:06
Large cylinders are pure high pressure propane and are very heavy even when empty. So they are only available where car campers frequent.

I gave up on white gas in 2008. It is useful for extended periods below 20F or parties of 4 or more. Otherwise, there is a weight, convenience, and availability penalty.

Pocket Rocket is very old technology, but still popular. I would consider a newer, lighter version. I use the Soto.

Alcohol is the smart choice, but I'm happer stupid. I'm looking forward to being very stupid and giving up the stove altogether.