PDA

View Full Version : tarping

cupcake
01-07-2005, 22:03
i carried a tarptent on my last thru-hike (attempt) -- i chose it for light wt. and bug protection. this time, i heading out in march, so i don't think bugs will be an issue for awhile ..... thus, i'm considering just a tarp. i know tarps, nor my tarptent, provide any warmth, but my bag is super warm.
how many of you out there used tarps? where can i learn more about pitching variations? i do have a tarp i made that's about 10' x 12', silnylon. it has lots of tie out loops, and a couple of grommets, though no tie outs on the actual body. i plan to use my hiking poles as part of the set up.
and then, what is a durable waterproof lt. wt. groundsheet option?
any advice would be much appreciated. thank you. d.

grandview
01-07-2005, 23:08
a painter's plastic drop sheet at home depot or lowes....cheap and waterproof...cut it to size

peter_pan
01-07-2005, 23:12
10x12 is huge and therefore heavier than necessary....consider 8x10,9x9, 8x8...tarps smaller than these are for the experienced tarper, ie risky unless you know what you are doing...

Doctari
01-07-2005, 23:19
Here are a few ideas to get you started, practice at home until you can set as many as you can up, in the dark, with the wind blowing & the rain falling. Most can be set up, with a little inventivness ou your part, using one or more hiking poles. My tarp is square & has tie outs at all points shown. I believe that the most popular tarp set up using hiking poles is the "A frame" as this can be set up without any trees. The vertacal lines are supposed to be atht he corners, sorry.

Your tarp (square) :
A___________________4_____________________B
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
1 | |3
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|__________________________________________|
C 2 D

Your tarp (rectangle):
A____________________2_____________________B
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|__________________________________________|
C 1 D

My favorite configuration is the “flying wedge”: Tie corner A to tree (hiking pole, hiking partner, etc) then stake corner D to the ground, pulling the tarp as tight as possible. (Or: Tie rope to tree etc. stake to ground appropriate distance, then tie tarp to rope as above.) Then stake corners B & C to the ground forming a V. Try as much as possible to point corner D into the wind. On a nice/warm day, you can leave a gap under the staked points. I also stake at points 2 & 3 (1 if rectangle) and in windy conditions you can add rope to points 1 & 4. (2 if rectangle)
If you use a rectangle tarp, allowing for: wind, terrain, view, etc. you can switch points A & D with points C & B.
Another way is a “lean to”: tie a rope between 2 trees (hiking partners, wildebeests, etc) Fasten tarp between points C/2 & A/4, secure points D & B & 3 to the ground, & rope A, & C (& 1 if you want) to the ground. If using a rectangle tarp, theory is the same, use tie points as needed.
“A frame”: Picture an old style “pup tent”.
Most other configurations are modifications of the above 3.

With all configurations, use a ground cloth of some sort, mine is a piece of coated nylon 3’ x 7’.

Enjoy!

Doctari.

bobgessner57
01-08-2005, 00:12
I use a piece of tyvek with duct tape reinforced "grommet holes" at the corners and middle for a groundsheet or windbreak or mini tarp for lunch in the rain. I have one for solo trips and a larger one suitable for two people.
The one person is 3 1/2 x9 and the larger is maybe 7x9. Tyvek is often sold in a 9 foot roll. The extra length can be flipped up to make a bivy type cover for your feet if the tarp is set up with both or 3 sides open and the generous width allows for a bathtub effect by using long sticks parallel to your bag and leaves plenty of room for gear.

Your tarp sounds plenty big for two or even three people, 8x8 or 8x10 is plenty big for one person plus pack and clutter even pitched low and tight for foul weather.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 00:37
Here are some pictures of tarp set ups: http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

My favorite in bad weather is a trapeziod.

Tha Wookie
01-08-2005, 01:49
piching my tarp is always on of the best parts of the day. It's ALWAYS different, and gives me a chance to really connect to my immediate surroundings as I reach for a tree, rock, feel the bark, guage the wind, stop and listen for storms and animals (not with my ears) to see how I'll set it up. Kind of a peaceful zen time for me. As my skills have gotten better, I've found I can pitch one just about anywhere -even on a bare sand dune in high winds. The AT is a piece of cake for tarping.

Give it a try, and know that it works whether you are successful at first or not.

Clear you mind and sleep well.

cupcake
01-08-2005, 09:46
thanks to all who contributed here --- i did check out rock's links, and doctari's 'charts', which were very helpful. i also did a google search and found a couple of sites with photos to illustrate options. and, as a good google search would lead me, i also found a link to mr. ray-way's book on tarping. i've never seen a printed copy of that book, has anyone here seen it or think it's worth its printed pages? i have the light wt. back packing book, and think it's useful. i'm thinking that if a 10'x 12' tarp is overkill for a single person, i could easily make a smaller tarp. is square better than rectangle? what size/shape is the most flexible? thank you again, d.

PKH
01-08-2005, 11:21
However, I would not recommend going smaller than 8 X 10. Your 10 by 12 is not all that much heavier - it is silnylon after. In fact I would stick with what you have. For just a few ounces you get a great deal of security in bad weather, and you know from experience that bad weather is definitely a part of your future.

Cheers,

PKH

cupcake
01-08-2005, 11:41
i was thinking about the size more in terms of manageability and function vs. ounces --- if i made another, it too would be silnylon. 10'x12' is a lot of tarp, i just don't know (yet) if i need that much coverage, plus, it's a lot of fabric to contend with. i will probably answer my own questions once i get outside and try different pitches.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 11:56
I think an 8'x10'would be plenty.Get one like the Oware Tarp with the tie outs on the sides. Get 6 of those small carabineer keychain things and put 10' of cord on each one and about 8 stakes. That way you have a dozen different ways you can set it up, you can move the ropes to where you need them and not fight with ropes where you don't, and you can always get rid of the excess ones after you narrow down how you like to use the tarp.

Alligator
01-10-2005, 11:25
I use an 8X10 and it is plenty big enough for one hiker and pack. If you haven't bought any lines yet, consider eventually using either Kelty Triptease or Spectra aircore. These are very light. The aircore will not hold certain knots, check this link.

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/acatalog/Bozeman_Spectra_Cord.html

However, get a feel for pitching options first as mentioned by Sgt. Rock by using cheaper cord. Once you do that, you will be able to permanently trim off some of the lengths he suggested. Then cut up the more expensive cord. I used to use 4mm cord, which I had picked up on sale. I was able to shave a few ounces off by learning some knots, reducing total cordage, and removing sliders by switching to the Triptease. I prefer it over the aircore due to knotting issues.

Additionally, in the summer, I carry a rectangular bug screen (Cot type). This will hang over the opening of a pyramid tarp setup. I can also use it in the shelter in the event that I stay in it.

I use 3 mil plastic for a groundcloth. I will switch to tyvek at next opportunity, because I have on occasion found myself sliding off the plastic on sloping ground.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 12:40
If you want to tarp it and don't like bugs you might want to check out the "Bug Bivy" by OR.

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/shelter/40500

I used it with a GoLite Cave I during part of my thru-hike in 2003 and really enjoyed the combination. Both components together weighed about 26 oz. Nice thing about the Bug Bivy is that the underside is waterproof so you don't need a ground cloth.

Happy Tarping ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Youngblood
01-10-2005, 12:58
If you want to tarp it and don't like bugs you might want to check out the "Bug Bivy" by OR.

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/shelter/40500

I used it with a GoLite Cave I during part of my thru-hike in 2003 and really enjoyed the combination. Both components together weighed about 26 oz. Nice thing about the Bug Bivy is that the underside is waterproof so you don't need a ground cloth.

Happy Tarping ...

'Slogger
AT 2003What shelters did you try on your thru? I thought you also used a Hennessy Hammock and a Nomad tent?

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 13:28
What shelters did you try on your thru? I thought you also used a Hennessy Hammock and a Nomad tent?=============================
Busted ...yeah, I'm a gear head. Switched backpacks 3 times too, but let's not go there ...

Truth be told, I tend to try things out myself rather than take peoples word for it. Not that I don't trust other hikers ...I just want the personal experience.

I started at Springer with the Nomad Lite. Wasn't all that happy with the way it handled the wind/rain (which we had a lot of in 2003) and I wanted to try and drop some weight so I sent for my hammock (HH) right after the Smokies. Used my hammock for about a month and a half but just didn't like it. I have the older model with the smaller fly. With all the wind and rain we had it was tough staying comfortable and dry. At least for me it was still too cold for a hammock. Plus, I determined that I am happiest when I can spread out a little at night in my tent and read or journal. Anyway, I sent home for my Nomad (yeah ...rather than stuff it in my bounce box and keep it close, I sent it home ...DUH) and when I hit Troutville (or is it Troutdale ...I always get those two mixed up) I visited the outfitter to see what options he could offer. Of everything he had I liked the combination of the Cave I and the Bug Bivy, so I splurged and bought them. I had seen another hiker with the Bug Bivy and they were even able to use it in a shelter on nights when the insects were really bad.

I received my Nomad back in Front Royal and carried it the rest of the way to Katahdin. In retrospect though, I think I would have been happier with the Cave I and the Bug Bivy ...and as the weather got cooler up North, just lose the Bug Bivy all together.

So ...you read correctly.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Youngblood
01-10-2005, 13:40
'Slogger,

With all that rain ya'll had in '03 I would have thought that some folks would have switched to an inflatable raft, intertube... or at least one of them big Down Air Mats, with oars.

Youngblood

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 13:49
'Slogger,

With all that rain ya'll had in '03 I would have thought that some folks would have switched to an inflatable raft, intertube... or at least one of them big Down Air Mats, with oars.

Youngblood=============================
Believe me ....I was very close to picking up a thick air mattress (no oars though !!) All I had was a 3/4 ultralight thermarest and at times the underside was soaked for days.

'Slogger
AT 2003