PDA

View Full Version : Questions for an educated/experienced AT hiker.

mot13ley
02-25-2011, 13:54
Hey guys,

I'm a college student, and I'm planning on month-long backpacking trip on the AT. It's mostly for time to get away and relax before I have to start working to pay for next semester expenses. I'm starting just a few miles down in the road in Port Clinton, Pa. I'm looking for an average price most people spend on a month hike. And I'm heading North Bound any guesses on how far I can make it before the month is over?

With the greatest appreciation,
mot13ley

sparky2000
02-25-2011, 14:07
A hard one to answer - there are to many unknowns - if u intend to sleep out every night and pay only for food - get free showers in the creek and free hostels (Dele wtr gap) then give ur self an average of 15 miles a day and do the math.

Cookerhiker
02-25-2011, 14:09
Hey guys,

I'm a college student, and I'm planning on month-long backpacking trip on the AT. It's mostly for time to get away and relax before I have to start working to pay for next semester expenses. I'm starting just a few miles down in the road in Port Clinton, Pa. I'm looking for an average price most people spend on a month hike. And I'm heading North Bound any guesses on how far I can make it before the month is over?

With the greatest appreciation,
mot13ley

Assuming you're in decent condition, averaging about 13 miles per day gets you to Bennington, VT (state rt. 9). Until you get to Greenwood Lake NY, your hike will have very little up and down so you can make good time. But that depends on how nimble-footed you are in dealing with the fabled PA rocks.

If you reach Bennington with time to spare, the next major road crossing is 40 miles further at Rt. 11 & 30 outside Manchester.

Perhaps you can hike faster or more miles since you have longer daylight. But you also have town days for resupply and perhaps a night or 2 in a hostel or motel throughout your hike.

Good luck - hope it works!

bigcranky
02-25-2011, 14:13
You could walk for a month for $500 if you were careful. Sleep on the trail, buy food in grocery stores, enjoy a couple of hostel stays and a restaurant meal in the occasional town, and get the bus back home.

Cookerhiker
02-25-2011, 14:18
BTW coming from Pottsville, you do realize that Yuengling has a Trailwide reputation?!:)

Slo-go'en
02-25-2011, 14:41
That is one of the more expensive sections of trail to hike. The only hostle you'll hit is in the Delaware water gap. Unless you meet up with someone to split hotel rooms with, it's going to cost a bundle just to get a shower.

15 miles a day shouldn't be too hard to do, so I would think you could get to the MA/VT line with no problem. That would be a good place to get off, as there is a bus to Boston near-by at Williamstown. Port Clinton to Williamstown is 376 miles, assume 27 days of hiking averages about 14 miles a day.

As how much it will cost, bring as much money as you can.

mot13ley
02-26-2011, 16:42
Thanks for help guys! It seems as though I'll just have to save up as much as possible and hike as far as I possibly can! And Cooker, it seems as though where ever I step foot, Yuengling has some sort of reputation!