PDA

View Full Version : Searching for...

GlassSunrise413
02-25-2011, 16:16
I am searching for a book or journal with little bits of inspirational (Christian or otherwise) text to lift the spirits of an AT Thru-hiker.

If you know of a book or journal, or even an inspirational quote that helped you, please let me know. Thanks!!

DapperD
02-25-2011, 22:42
I am searching for a book or journal with little bits of inspirational (Christian or otherwise) text to lift the spirits of an AT Thru-hiker.

If you know of a book or journal, or even an inspirational quote that helped you, please let me know. Thanks!!There is a 2010 online trail journal I have read of a man who started out from Springer Mountain to hike the trail but wound up unfortunately having to leave the trail long before his goal. In his journal he talks of his desire to have God guide and enlighten him:http://www.trailjournals.com/FrankieTheSleeper/

couscous
02-26-2011, 00:59
A small booklet of Samuel Langhorne Clemen's (Mark Twain) quotes could be inspirational.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one."

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education."

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to."

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain."

"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful."

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

"Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Trailweaver
02-26-2011, 03:00
There is a website that has quotes on any number of subjects. . . you could find several quotes there and create your own "booklet" to send the hiker - or send him/her quotes on postcards at the P.O. stops you know he/she plans to make.

quotegarden.com

GlassSunrise413
02-27-2011, 13:17
thanks for all the help guys! I've found something temporary but the idea of sending inspiration to mail drops is a fantastic idea!

bigcranky
02-27-2011, 16:03
You could try Blind Courage, by Bill Irwin.

Hoop
02-27-2011, 23:13
Hiker Eric Kampmann spoke at this year's SoRuck's Sunday service & distributed his devotional, Signposts, a one-a-day reflection of his thoughts on short passages (lots from Proverbs, Psalms, Ecclesiastes).