PDA

View Full Version : May start... GAME or Flip-flop?

UpTheDubs
02-26-2011, 07:57
Hi All,

I'm planning to thru hike this summer, but can't start until the first week of May. I also have to take a week off for a wedding in the end of August. I'd like to just start in the south and walk north, but I'm wondering if that is reasonable since it sounds like a fairly late start date.

Is it reasonable to think I can make it to Katahdin before it closes if I start so late? Has anyone here done it? I haven't done a lot of distance hiking, but I'm pretty good shape, so I think I can keep a decent pace. That said, I don't want to set an unreasonable goal if it just isn't enough time.

Also, if I start in GA in May, will I be so far behind the pack that I'm on my own the whole time?

Would I be better off starting in VA somewhere and flip-flopping?

Opinions, please... thanks!

warpzilla
02-26-2011, 10:24
It is definitely possible to start in May and get to Katahdin before it closes. I started May 21st and finished with plenty of time. There are some things you should think about/ask though.

How fast do you want to go? A May start still gives you a lot of time before Baxter State Park Closes ~ 135 days. Just 16 miles a day on average will get you there.
If you are in decent shape, you'll be fine. You don't have to push hard at the start, you can start slow and work your way up.

Do you want the full social trail experience? Starting in May you will be a few months behind the main pack of hikers. I was hiking fairly fast, but I caught the "bubble" of hikers that started in Spring at Harpers Ferry/Pennsylvania. People are almost always out on the AT though. So although you might not be meeting other thru-hikers until later, you will meet plenty of day/section hikers and weekend warriors. Whether you want to hike faster and catch the main group of thru-hikers would be up to you, If you catch them would you stay with them or keep going ahead of them?

Location of wedding? Would it be better to flip-flop to be closer to the wedding? It could make getting off the trail and back on a bit easier (If you want to base your trip plans around one week that won't even be on the trail).

There's probably more to think about, but I would start with that. Hope this helps.

4shot
02-26-2011, 10:48
It's doable as lot of people finish in 5 months or less. Really depends on your age, fitness level, etc. and how much you want to hike (hours and miles per day) vs. take in some of the towns/hostels/festivals/etc. along the way. You can always start with the intention of doing a complete NOBO and if you see that you can't or don't want to sustain the pace, you can always go to Katadhin and hike back south.So you really don't have to make your decision now unless you prefer a set itinerary.

max patch
02-26-2011, 11:12
I started 5/1, took a week vacation, and finished.

You are talking about a 5 month thru. Very doable, however, most contemporary hikers take closer to 6 months. No one here knows your hiking pace.

I would normally say start at Springer and decide once you hit New England if you need to flip or not.

However, since you plan on taking a week off for a wedding I'd say start furthur north and plan to hit K when you need to get off the trail for the wedding. After the wedding then return to your starting point and hike south.

Personally, I'd blow off the wedding but that of course is up to you.

johnnybgood
02-26-2011, 11:24
As others have mentioned above the NOBO to Katahdin hike is doable but if your goal is to enjoy the experience of walking 2,181 miles and complete a thru , then do a flip flop.

Begin at Harpers Ferry,W.Va hiking north to Maine then flip flop back to begin your trek SOBO to Georgia. One caveat , the hiking crowd will still be behind you going north to Maine and likely past you on the return to Harpers Ferry, if that's important to you.

UpTheDubs
02-26-2011, 18:11
Thanks for the re-assurance that it is a doable amount of time.

Also, I guess you're right that I don't have to figure it out in advance. Honestly, it never occurred to me to just start in GA and if I thought I was running out of time, skip up to Katahdin and hike back south to where I left off. I thought I had to decide now and then I was trying to figure out how to start in the middle and coordinate the timing to reach Katahdin to suit the wedding. It seemed like way over-planning and I'm sure it never would have worked out according to "plan" anyway!

Thanks everyone! You've put my mind at ease that I can make it work. Now I just have to finish getting my gear!

weary
02-26-2011, 22:21
Thanks for the re-assurance that it is a doable amount of time.

Also, I guess you're right that I don't have to figure it out in advance. Honestly, it never occurred to me to just start in GA and if I thought I was running out of time, skip up to Katahdin and hike back south to where I left off. I thought I had to decide now and then I was trying to figure out how to start in the middle and coordinate the timing to reach Katahdin to suit the wedding. It seemed like way over-planning and I'm sure it never would have worked out according to "plan" anyway!

Thanks everyone! You've put my mind at ease that I can make it work. Now I just have to finish getting my gear!

There's a lot to be said for doing Katahdin towards the end of a 2000 miler hike. I started April 15 -- later than I had planned because of inlaw and family conflicts.

When my health caused delays I simply skipped a couple of hundred miles and moved on to New Hampshire and Maine, finishing on Katahdin on Oct. 16. I thought about going back and finishing skipped sections the same year, but it no longer seemed a priority. I did go back a couple of years later and had a most enjoyable walk.

Blissful
02-26-2011, 22:26
You can always start at Harpers Ferry, walk north to K, then turn around, go to HF and walk to Springer. That way you can go to the wedding, enjoy the walk, and not feel rushed or stressed. I met many hikers that did it this way last year.

bigcranky
02-26-2011, 23:55
You can always start at Harpers Ferry, walk north to K, then turn around, go to HF and walk to Springer. That way you can go to the wedding, enjoy the walk, and not feel rushed or stressed. I met many hikers that did it this way last year.

Plus you get to "finish" twice, once on Katahdin and once again on Springer. No rush at all on the trail, and you get to enjoy late fall hiking in the South -- my favorite time of year to hike.