PDA

View Full Version : Rehydrating salsa

Different Socks
02-26-2011, 13:40
Got the idea for dehydrating salsa in this forum. Starting doing it last week, but now I am wondering what will be the consistency of it when I rehydrate it. Will it look anything like it came out of a bottle? I suppose I'd have to add water slowly to get a good thickness? Besides eating with chips, crackers or pretzels as a lunch snack what dinner meals could I add it to?

johnnyblisters
02-26-2011, 14:03
Dehydrate some beans (refried or regular cooked) and/or ground beef/turkey. Spice it up, add some cheese, slap it all on a tortilla and you got backcountry burritos.

sarbar
02-28-2011, 12:56
Do a 2:1 ratio of water and salsa, let rehydrate, then add more water as needed.

Farr Away
02-28-2011, 13:03
Dehydrate some beans (refried or regular cooked) and/or ground beef/turkey. Spice it up, add some cheese, slap it all on a tortilla and you got backcountry burritos.

What he said - add some additional water, and you have chili. Serve with corn chips or tortillas.

Different Socks
02-28-2011, 20:33

This sounds interesting! I will try it this week. Changing my menu so much compared to previous hikes, that sometimes it is very difficult not to eat them before I go on the trail!

Navy Salad
03-03-2011, 16:06
...I am wondering what will be the consistency of it when I rehydrate it. Will it look anything like it came out of a bottle?...

In my experience, salsa rehydrates closer to the original product better than perhaps any other dehydrated food -- almost indistinguishable from the original (I only wish that were true of more foods). I suggest starting with a little less liquid than you think it will need and add more liquid later on as needed and it should be very close to the original consistency.

One tip: If drying on solid food trays, oil the trays lightly first -- otherwise it can be extremely difficult getting the dried salsa off.

OK, second tip: Throw the finished product into a blender for a few seconds (don't go overboard, just a few) to help provide an even consistency. (If you blend it too much, you'll end up with spicy tomato sauce -- which isn't too bad, I just like a little texture in my salsa.)