PDA

View Full Version : SoRuck!!

Miss Janet
01-08-2005, 02:41
One week until the SoRuck!

We are really excited about holding this event at the NOC. I think they guys have us set up with a great place to meet, show gear, talk trail, talk "as the trail turns", eat, watch great slide shows, excellent new trail films... and a fire every night!!! What more can you ask for?

Speaking of films... I have two new AT related films to preview at the SoRuck. I had planned to watch them for the first time with everyone there but I broke down and watched my friend Lion Kings "Walking With Freedom".

I enjoyed it so much! He was able to capture so many details about the AT and thruhiking that I haven't seen in other trail films. GREAT SOUNDTRACK!!!! BUT I wonder if he had someone setting up all the wildlife encounters he was able to capture on film... And I enjoyed the little animals as much as the big ones! It was great to be sitting here and watching to see familiar faces popping up as he moved up the trail! Thank you Lion King! They are going to love this at the Ruck!

minnesotasmith
01-08-2005, 05:38
Sounds interesting...

orangebug
01-08-2005, 08:01
It might be a good idea to get a government map to show where the AT bisects NOC at the Nantahalla River. Private persons might not be so helpful. :rolleyes:

MileMonster
01-08-2005, 10:36
Here's some info:

http://www.soruck.com/

papa john
01-08-2005, 11:04
Anyone from LA (lower Alabama) going that would want to share a ride (and fuel)?

PJ

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 12:37
I was hoping to make it, but it doesn't look god at all anymore.

orangebug
01-08-2005, 15:51
I'm picking up at least one person from ATL (airport) before heading up. I anticipate leaving Atlanta area by 2PM. I could probably handle one or two more.

email me off list if interested.

shades of blue
01-08-2005, 15:58
I'm planning on going and hammocking. Is anyone else going to hammock? Rock...I hate you aren't going to make it. I was really looking forward to meeting you there.

orangebug
01-08-2005, 16:32
I am certain that you will find other hammockers. Ed Speer is expected to attend, along with a few hammocks. In the past, his demonstrations have been real popular and educational.

peter_pan
01-08-2005, 16:55
I'll be there hanging out and demonstrating all the Jacks 'R' Better quilts and other hammock accessories. Look for the pair of jacks logo signs.

Youngblood
01-09-2005, 11:00
Anybody looked at the 10 day weather forecast for Bryson City, NC this morning?

Friday, Jan 14th, few showers, high 46, low 15.
Saturday Jan 15th, partly cloudy, high 39, low 20.
Sunday Jan 16th, mostly sunny, high 42, low 21.
Mounday Jan 17th, parly cloudy, high 45, low 28.

I was just getting use to these 70 highs and 50 lows... guess they're bringing winter back to the SE just in time for the ruck. Maybe we'll get real lucky and have an ice storm. I was thinking about going and hammock camping along the AT on the way to A. Rufus Morgan Shelter, wonder if I will have to skate across the bridge?

Youngblood

orangebug
01-09-2005, 11:33
Depending on the timing, there might be ice or snow on Friday to great us.

Capt Chaos
01-09-2005, 11:52
Hey guys. I am going to head down late Friday afternoon. I get off work around 4-5 P.M. I guess I am going to camp at the shelter south of NOC. How big of a group are we expecting at that shelter site? And you Miss Janet, I look forward to seeing you again.:cool:

Hope to see a good crowd. Rock, that really sucks you cant make it. Call me when you do get back to the home front.

MOWGLI
01-09-2005, 12:19
Depending on the timing, there might be ice or snow on Friday to great us.

Did you mean to "grate us" or to "greet us"? :D

shades of blue
01-09-2005, 17:39
Mowgli...are you planning to go to soruck? I just read your journal on trailjournals, it was good (except for the missing middle, I'd loved to read about the whole trip).
Youngblood what time are you planning on ariving at the NOC. I am hoping to arrive around 5:00....which is right at dark. Are you planning on night hiking up to Rufus/morgan shelter?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2005, 10:06
I'll have to make an appearance. My calendar is empty this weekend. :)

Youngblood
01-10-2005, 10:28
...Youngblood what time are you planning on ariving at the NOC. I am hoping to arrive around 5:00....which is right at dark. Are you planning on night hiking up to Rufus/morgan shelter?

I hadn't really thought it through that well, that seems like a long way to go when it is dark and the weather is lousy. Plus, I don't think I would be very comfortable leaving anything behind when I went to the ruck. What are you thinking?

Youngblood

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 10:29
Mowgli...are you planning to go to soruck? I just read your journal on trailjournals, it was good (except for the missing middle, I'd loved to read about the whole trip).

I am on the fence about attending. My wife is going to Atlanta that weekend, so it's all predicated on convincing my 14 y.o. daughter to join me. She's not much of a hiker, so it might take some convincing. Perhaps I'll offer her to bring along a friend. We'll see....

Yeah, the journal thang. I have debated pulling the last week. I found that recently in a Web Archive. The journal originally appeared on Trailplace, but Wingfoot took it down without any notice. The evening before he removed the website, I went through and updated my grammer, spelling, and added a bunch of stories. Ouch!

One note for anyone who read my journal in 2000. It was strictly G-Rated, as I was corresponding with at least 3 elementary schools at the time. I am adding some of the "spicier" details, now that the hike is over & done. I'd say the current rating is PG-13. The evening at the Overmountain Shelter involving Wild Child & SHotgun is one example of a new story. :D

shades of blue
01-10-2005, 11:32
I'd prefer to hammock close to the group, if that is possible. That way, I could still spend a lot of time meeting the group as it is my first AT get together. That bonfire will feel good that evening (if anyone can get it started with the bad weather.) If the front moves through early enough, maybe Friday evening/night will be clear. That is my hope anyway. We should know better as we get closer.
Mowgli...hope you can make it and as for L. Wolf, I'll finally get to meet you.

The Solemates
01-10-2005, 11:41
still debating on SORUCK...

Youngblood
01-10-2005, 13:30
I'd prefer to hammock close to the group, if that is possible. That way, I could still spend a lot of time meeting the group as it is my first AT get together. That bonfire will feel good that evening (if anyone can get it started with the bad weather.) If the front moves through early enough, maybe Friday evening/night will be clear. That is my hope anyway. We should know better as we get closer.
Mowgli...hope you can make it and as for L. Wolf, I'll finally get to meet you.
This is on the SoRuck web site:

"If anyone wishes to rough it, there is a shelter 0.8 miles South of NOC on the Appalachian Trail. Going either direction on the AT, there should be a few places to drop a tent. There should be a few good stealth tenting/hammock opportunities within the NOC property. Scope it out and stake a claim when you arrive.

If you wish to stay in your car or van, go for it. There are no hook-ups.".

May be best to get their early enough to see what you can find before it gets dark. I've got an old tent type thing that attaches to the tailgate and camper top of my truck, maybe I'll dig it out as a backup. It ought to be about as cold sleeping in that as a hammock.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
01-10-2005, 19:33
I'm working like hell to get done by Friday, it might not happen, so I may still try and get there Saturday or Sunday.

orangebug
01-10-2005, 20:59
There will be room. Just try to be there by 7:30 AM Saturday for Blueberry Patch pancakes.

BTW, it is a good idea to bring a dish of something with you to share.

LionKing
01-10-2005, 21:18
Its nice to go to that website and just see my film listed!

Makes me all giddy. Wish I could make it, but I will be on my way out West on the 16th...hopefully getting info about raisng some funds to do the PCT (and another reality-adventure-musical-whatever DVD) this year. Ye Haw!

and thanks for the kind words Miss Janet, and I am already missing that breakfeast of yours at the ruck...

have fun guys, see U at Trail Dazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze.

LK:cool:

shades of blue
01-11-2005, 12:29
Orangebug...if we go on the AT hike in the morning, do we still get the blueberry patch pancakes? UMMMMMMM

MOWGLI
01-11-2005, 12:33
There will be room. Just try to be there by 7:30 AM Saturday for Blueberry Patch pancakes.

BTW, it is a good idea to bring a dish of something with you to share.

Guard those berries jealously!! I remeber what happened last year!

orangebug
01-11-2005, 21:29
If you get up and are holding a plate at 7AM, you'll get the first pancakes. I like to start early and play hard. I'd be very surprised if the Sat AM hike passes up breakfast.

And I have a surfeit of blueberries, organically grown and picked by Blue Ridge apes residing in North Georgia. My knuckles are dragging the ground.

MileMonster
01-12-2005, 09:06
I'm hoping to make it. See everyone there.

shades of blue
01-12-2005, 09:07
Do you think we would be allowed to stealth hammock in the same area as the bonfire? (not too close of course). I was looking at the NOC map and saw that they had a tent platform area, and that is where the bonfire would be. When I hiked through last summer, I didn't go into that part of the camp. Is the area wooded enough for a hammock a few yards off the developed area?

orangebug
01-12-2005, 19:49
You can always try, but there is no promise that NOC won't object.

shades of blue
01-12-2005, 23:55
The soruck page says that there are campsites and areas to camp on the NOC property...is this not allowed? I don't want to upset people, especially with being able to hike down the AT a ways and put up the hammock. Orangebug...if you happen to know this info, I'd be glad to hear it.

SGT Rock
01-13-2005, 07:41
I remember crossing a dirt road about 1.5 miles up on the AT north of the NOC. IF one was driving a car,maybe that would be a place to stay. I can't remember the gap or the road name since I don't have my maps or guides here in Hattiesburg with me.

orangebug
01-13-2005, 08:30
The comment was about stealth camping near the campfires. There are tenting areas. We previously had park officials at Amicalola object to any and all hammocks, fearing we were killing the trees. I trust NOC has more intelligence.

I'm only suggesting that you be prepared with a Plan B, just as if you were hiking.

shades of blue
01-13-2005, 08:38
Thanks Orangebug and Sgt. Rock. I'm spending only Friday night and Sat. during the day at soruck anyway. I looked at the website again, and it appears the bonfire is sat. night, not Fri. So, I guess it doesn't matter how close I am to the group....except for being able to get to those blueberry pancakes early am Sat. Look forward to meeting everyone.

MileMonster
01-13-2005, 09:12
Looks like I'm out. Have fun folks. Next time...

Lone Wolf
01-13-2005, 09:20
What time are most folks arriving for this shindig?

Bolo
01-13-2005, 11:26
Looks like you all might be in for some BIG weather this weekend with the front coming through!
I'll be skiing in West Virginia. Stay warm and don't let the blueberries freeze! ;)

Bolo

Capt Chaos
01-13-2005, 20:53
Hey guys. It looks like I may be able to arrive sooner. I worked things out at work and will be leaving Knoxville around 11:00 A.M. I have no clue how long it will take for me to get there. I have not decided where I will camp. I will either sleep in car, tarp in the camp area, or hike south to the shelter. It all depends on what everyone else is doing. Hope to see everyone there.

To Much Peace and Chaos,

shades of blue
01-14-2005, 06:35
Planning of leaving home around 3:00. I hope to be at the NOC between 5:30 and 6:00 PM. Anyone know when dinner begins?

orangebug
01-14-2005, 07:03
Dinner Friday night is usually catch as catch can. I plan on hitting Fat Buddy's BBQ in Franklin on my way up, even if it is 4:30PM.

Youngblood
01-14-2005, 08:05
Dinner Friday night is usually catch as catch can. I plan on hitting Fat Buddy's BBQ in Franklin on my way up, even if it is 4:30PM.I'll be coming up through Franklin, where is Fat Buddy's BBQ relative to the Franklin Motel?

... five minutes later it dawned on me to check the net... http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com/. I'll find it.

Youngblood

Lone Wolf
01-16-2005, 16:02
Was a fun SORUCK. Great folks, food, presentations and weather. Pittsburgh led 20+ ruckers on a hike from Tellico Gap back to Wesser. But 7 of us blue-blazed down the Wesser Creek Trail back to the NOC. :) Got me some converts maybe. Thanks to Pittsburgh, his wife, Miss Janet and all the other ladies that worked thier asses off in the kitchen cooking, serving and cleaning. And Orangebug for the mess of blueberry pancakes he whipped up. Lotsa chow at Rucks! :banana

LionKing
01-16-2005, 16:09
Blow Downs still pretty thick on Wesser Blue Blaze Wolf?

2003 every switchback had like 3...made for fun climbing, crawling and transveresing. A little scratchy, but thats the woods.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2005, 16:26
Nope. No blowdowns to speak of. Just a few here and there. BTW your DVD was a hit at last nights viewing.

LionKing
01-16-2005, 16:52
Nope. No blowdowns to speak of. Just a few here and there. BTW your DVD was a hit at last nights viewing.
DAMN! I Wish I could have been there!

hopefully someone will PM me with an opinion or two. Glad to hear that.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2005, 16:55
Lotsa folks liked it better than the other one which seemed long and had goofy narration.

Youngblood
01-16-2005, 17:14
Had a great time talking, meeting old & new friends, hiking, eating, watching slides, movies, presentations, bonfireing, camping out down by the river, etc. Lots of folks, no idea how many. I couldn't figure out how to create a folder for the 2005 SoRuck photos so I just put some of mine here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=661 . Maybe Sgt Rock or ATTroll can create and move them to a 2005 SoRuck folder?

Youngblood

Dances with Mice
01-16-2005, 17:20
I want a tie-dye Miss J's t-shirt just like Captain Crunch's. How do I get?

Capt Chaos
01-16-2005, 20:32
This weekend was very good. Great people, excellent food, and good times (especially Lion King's film). Many issues were discussed such as trail maintenance, Communism, Abortion, Jane Fonda, Anti-gravity gear stuff, and much more. Wow, now that I think about it, it was quite eventfull.

Wolf, you better watch out, if you talk too much more about how great communism is, you may get blacklisted. You're turning way too liberal.

Thanks for a great weekend all. Look forward to the next one.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2005, 20:37
Did you give Alpha a warm embrace before you left, there Capt. No Hike Who Wears a Dress? :D

orangebug
01-16-2005, 20:40
It was a terrific time, meeting many new faces from WB, the women hiker's list as well as many old friends from AT-L. While there were many conversations on politics and other forbidden topics, there was none of the vitriole that seems to reign on listservs and similar resources. We had opportunity to help newbie hikers prepare for this year.

This was what was intended in creating the RUCKs.

Brushy Sage
01-16-2005, 20:54
I was there for just a couple hours on Saturday, with Piet Bodenhorst of Carolina Mtn Club, who presented on trail construction and maintenance. I truly enjoyed seeing all of you, and getting to know several Whiteblaze members I had not met before. Also met Nimblewood Will (spelled correctly?), who sponsored the birthday party I received at Neels Gap in 2002.

orangebug
01-16-2005, 22:24
That would have been Nimblewill Nomad that you met. He was about as relaxed and had a blast, from what I saw of him. He is a terrific example and mentor for many.

Brushy Sage
01-16-2005, 22:32
That would have been Nimblewill Nomad that you met. He was about as relaxed and had a blast, from what I saw of him. He is a terrific example and mentor for many.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I knew him to be a legend.

dharmabum86
01-17-2005, 10:45
O.J. here!!! Just wanted to say that I had an incredible weekend and can't wait to see everyone again soon! Capt. Chaos, Youngblood, Alpha, L.Wolf, Spiff, Moose, and so on...You guys ROCK!!! It's been along time since I've had such though-provoking (and lack there of) conversations. I hope to keep in touch with all of you and as soon as I get my pics done I'll post'em. Capt. Chaos there a really good one of you. :bse
Wicked cool times,
OJ

PaulB
01-17-2005, 12:10
Hi, Just wanted to tell you guys that I really enjoyed meeting you and attending my first SORUCK. Nothing better than people that like to hike and eat.

I've lived about 45 minutes from the AT for the last 10 years, but never really thought seriously about doing a long hike on it. But after watching all those great videos I feel the bug biting. Wonder how far north I could get from Springer on my next vacation? Or then again, I turn 50 next year, may be time for something more ....:)

Tha Wookie
01-17-2005, 16:08
looks like a good time. thanks for the update, ya'll

Youngblood
01-17-2005, 16:29
Blite blazing is a term that Chris (aka Alpha or WacoCelt) came up with to describe our hike on the Wesser Creek Trail. It is kind of 'hiking back in time' to when the AT used that trailway. L. Wolf pointed out that the white blazes sometimes bleed thru or shadowed the blue blazes that had been painted over them. Can you, or do you really want to completely remove all traces of the AT from some of these proud old trailways? Anyway, it was a beautiful trail with many smaller streams, a good sized fresh land slide that erased about 30 feet of trail, Wesser Creek and an old picnic table left behind where the Wesser Creek Shelter once stood and offered shelter to weary pilgrims in days gone by. A great hike and it takes you by a convience store for ice cream, cokes, resupply and such. Only downside was a couple of miles of roadwalk that could be a little challenging on US19 during the busier summer months.

And besides, how many chances do you get to go Blite Blazing with Lone Wolf, the King of Blue Blazing?

I was wondering if there is a list of AT shelters that are no longer on the AT? I think I have seen references at one time or another to about 4 in Georgia that are no longer there.

Youngblood

orangebug
01-18-2005, 00:48
There is an old shelter south of Abington Gap Shelter in Tennessee that was moved from a former AT section. I've dissassembled my guidebook for that section after finishing it last year, so I don't recall and name and details.

That hike sounded like a great deal of fun. I hope we get to do it next year.

Hikerhead
01-18-2005, 00:57
I didn't arrive till 2 am sat morning. Arose from sleeping in my car just in time to hitch a ride with Ms Janet driving half of the 20 some hikers for the group hike. I met a lot of nice folks. Some I'm afraid I didn't catch their names. Chatted a little with Ms Janet, Tattoo Granny. Sunset helped me out big time, and it was fun talking to him and his buddy and Paul on the hike. I wanted to chat with Youngblood about the BMT but didn't get a chance. Before this weekend, the last time I saw Pittsburg was at a cemetary handing out brownies. I got to met Nancy Hoch, we have the same last name but hers is spelled wrong :D And I did wash a few dishes, I swear I did. And now I can say I've been in Ms Janet's van. I slipped something in Weathercarrot's hand and he slipped a CD into my other hand. It was a good time. And the nice couple from Monroe WVa. I'm ready anytime you guys want to hike the Allegheny/AT across Peters Mtn.

Oh, and the food was awesome. :clap

Lugnut
01-18-2005, 01:44
There is an old shelter south of Abington Gap Shelter in Tennessee that was moved from a former AT section. I've dissassembled my guidebook for that section after finishing it last year, so I don't recall and name and details.

That hike sounded like a great deal of fun. I hope we get to do it next year.
I don't think that shelter was moved there. My understanding is that it is one of the "originals" that Earl Shafer stayed in on his '48 hike. Really run down. Maybe LW can shed some light on the history since he's in the neighborhood.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-18-2005, 02:28

Lion King, I gotta tell ya that I really enjoyed the presentation. Thanks for lettin' Janet bring it with her! Sooo....when do we get the next installation? ;-)

Lone Wolf
01-18-2005, 04:41
The "shelter" orangebug is referring to is an old fire warden's cabin. It never was an "official" AT shelter but folks use it in an emergency.

shades of blue
01-18-2005, 08:50
I had a wonderful time at the ruck...especially the blue blazing part. If you've never hiked the Wesser creek(bald)trail (whatever it is named) you should. The trail was narrow in places, but the creek and cascades were beautiful. Wolf was a great hike leader....telling us the history of the place...even pointing out the white blaze that has been painted over with blue. Wolf was even nice to a white blazing (mostly now :) liberal democrat...me.) Enjoyed seeing Youngblood and getting hammock advice, FINALLY meeting Miss Janet! I even rode in her van. Life is good. I don't know if the other AT get togethers are similar to the ruck, but it is definately worth attending if they are.

Lone Wolf
01-18-2005, 08:55
If you liked the Ruck, you'll love the ALDHA Gatherings. Tons of seminars, info and socializing. Trail Days is a big reunion party. Lotsa drinking, not many seminars and such.

Sly
01-18-2005, 14:22
....to all the whiteblaze.netters for showing up and helping to make the Southern Ruck as successful as it was. A special thanks to Lion King for making his awesome flick available.

See y'all at Trail Days! :banana

weathercarrot
01-18-2005, 16:36
I bought a CD from Weathercarrot.
In case there's any confusion out there, I just want to clarify - I wasn't actually attempting to sell anything. I had a bunch of my A.T. DVD's at the Ruck, and did not want people to feel obligated or expected in any way to pay anything at all for them. Donations were entirely up to each individual (which were very much appreciated) and I was happy to give them to people regardless of money.

I had a great ruck experience. Looking forward to the next one in PA... I'll have more DVD copies (and soundtracks) there.

wc

Hikerhead
01-18-2005, 22:33
Sorry about that Weathercarrot. BTW, that's a great CD and thanks for the many hours of work you've done on the AT.

Mizter SPiFF
01-19-2005, 00:56
it's beyond inspiring to see random strangers get together and have more fun than some friends or family that have known each other their whole lives! it boggles my mind how such a strong community of people who may not even know each other's "real" names can exist in a world where people seem to be pushing each other away and isolating themselves. what's even more mind-boggling is why more people don't realize how amazing it is, and get the inspiration to embrace this ideal of a trail family in other walks of life. what's our secret. what is the glue that holds us all together so tightly yet so loosely all at the same time? i certainly hope i can figure it out before i die. otherwise it's gonna be REAL difficult to save this planet full of chuckleheads from themselves before it's too late. well, enough of my babbling. u must excuse me. i just wanted to thank everyone for a perfect weekend. no more mushy crap. don't be strangers, eh? blueberry muffin raincheck? hmm?? much love, more PEACE, God Bless!!:jump Allriiiiiiiiight!!! :bse

Nightwalker
01-19-2005, 19:01
I'll have to make an appearance. My calendar is empty this weekend. :)
He did. And I was absolutely tickled to finally meet him. A great time was had by all. :D

Nightwalker
01-19-2005, 19:15

I especially liked those "15 minutes later" scenes.

Nightwalker
01-19-2005, 19:19
One of the best times of my weekend was spending time with NN and Dwinda in his room, talking to him and his great old blind dog, and seeing someone that just exuded "mellow" like no one I've ever seen. I guess walking that much'll do it to ya', if it don't make you crazy. :)

(That isn't a skin cancer on his forehead is it?)

Nightwalker
01-19-2005, 19:20
See y'all at Trail Days! :banana
I sure hope so. It was great meeting you! I doubt I'll walk in though, as I'm slow and starting around April hiking fools day. :-)

orangebug
01-19-2005, 20:54
(That isn't a skin cancer on his forehead is it?)If you thought it looked suspicious, you should have mentioned it to him.

I noticed what I thought was a small abrasion over his right forehead. However, your conjecture is very reasonable given the amount of outdoor time he has spent.

All of us are at higher risk than the average flatlander for skin cancers. This is a good reason to wear hats (you admired mine, thank you) and/or sun screen.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-19-2005, 22:42
Guys!!! I need your help. We're trying to get a list of attendees together. Below is the list that we've gotten thus far. If you don't see your trail name/real name or someone that you know was there, please email me and let me know so that I can add them to the list.

Thanks for your help on this!!!

?-Cheryl (Janice Joplin? LOL) ?
?-Marta Clark
?-Rogene ?
?-Thomas?
(None)-Paul Benson
(None)-Linda Beja
anklebear-?
Birdman ?
Black Wolfe - Bruce W. Calkins
Captain Chaos-?
Chainsaw-David Hicks
Chief-??
Circuit Rider-?
DaleAmerica-Dale Moore
Dancin Free-Marietta ?
Dawg-Rosalen Seagroves
Dutch Treat-Jan Benschop
Free Spirit-Francis ?
?-Mr. Francis ?
Fubar-??
Greenbriar-Gary Ticknor
Hopeful-Lamar Powell
Hummingbird-Linda Benschop
Hunter-?
Hunter's companion-Becky ?
Kinnickinic-?
Lonewolf-?
Lookout-Tattoo Granny's hubby ??
Macon Tracks-Randy Moore
Mainframe-Doug Mathews
Mizter Spiff-??
Moonbeam-Debbie Sherman
Moose-Matt Pulsts
Mrs. Moose-Megan Pulsts
Nightwalker-Frank Looper
Nimblewill Nomad-M. J. Eberhart
Mrs. Nomad-Dwinda Eberhart
Nocona-??
Not to Worry-Ed Speer
Not Yet-Janie Moore
OJ-Brandi ?
Orange Bug-Bill Thorneloe
Ox-Frank Lafond
Peanuts-IJ (& her beautiful pooch Mocha)
POG-Karen Sousa
Pittsburg-Richard Mann
Mrs. Pittsburg-Barb Mann
Rock Dancer-?
Sheltowee-Daniel Rogers
Sherlock-Henri Aldunte
SloeToe-?
Mr. Magic-Conner ?
Bug-Cole ?
Sly-?
Spur-?
Squeaky-Paula Looper
Swallowtail-Bett Middleton
Mr. Swallowtail-Mike Middleton
Sunset-?
Tagalong-Jan Kerns
Tattoo Granny-?
Tenacious Tanasi-Shelly Hale
Mr. Tanasi-Jerry Hale
Blondie-Mandy Morgan
The Miss Janet-Janet Hensley
Thee Clyde-Clyde ?
TinMan-George Andrews
Waterfall-Nina Rogers
Weathercarrot-?

Youngblood
01-20-2005, 10:07
Youngblood- Dave Womble.

But I didn't do it... I swear I didn't, I had already left by then. :)

dharmabum86
01-20-2005, 12:38
Mr. Spiff, You are soooo right on!!!!!! I can't wait for the next get-together! Who knows, I might have my own to break in my new apartment!!!! Gotta bring the outdoors in... even if it means having "dirty hippies" hangin' at the pad, LOL!!!

Wicked Cool Times, OJ

it's beyond inspiring to see random strangers get together and have more fun than some friends or family that have known each other their whole lives! it boggles my mind how such a strong community of people who may not even know each other's "real" names can exist in a world where people seem to be pushing each other away and isolating themselves. what's even more mind-boggling is why more people don't realize how amazing it is, and get the inspiration to embrace this ideal of a trail family in other walks of life. what's our secret. what is the glue that holds us all together so tightly yet so loosely all at the same time? i certainly hope i can figure it out before i die. otherwise it's gonna be REAL difficult to save this planet full of chuckleheads from themselves before it's too late. well, enough of my babbling. u must excuse me. i just wanted to thank everyone for a perfect weekend. no more mushy crap. don't be strangers, eh? blueberry muffin raincheck? hmm?? much love, more PEACE, God Bless!!:jump Allriiiiiiiiight!!! :bse

Mizter SPiFF
01-21-2005, 01:31
Mizter (or Mr.) SPiFF=Christopher J. Parker (2003 did only 600 miles, went only by SPiFF) (no diggity)

peter_pan
01-21-2005, 10:29
Please add Peter_pan to the attendees list.

Big thanks to Pittsburg and Miss Janet and all who made the SoRuck so cool...Really enjoyed hanging out with you all and in my hammock...warm and toasty at 25 nice... Late posting, as I just slid home between the snow storms, 3300 miles on the motorcycle...what a great 10 days.. :D ..TRUE pleasure to meet sooo many Whiteblazers, as well as the other famous and infamous... see you at Trail Days or onthe trail.

LionKing
01-22-2005, 21:36
Thank you all for the kind words.
It means a lot to me that other hikers feel the emotional side I was trying to get across.

Rock on!
See ya at trail days!

Smile
01-28-2006, 20:27
Add Smile and Rubberbandman to the list.
:-)

Sly
01-28-2006, 21:22
Add Smile and Rubberbandman to the list.
:-)

Smile that's the 2005 list. I could probably come up with a list for this year. Give me some time and I'll post it.

Sly
01-28-2006, 21:39
Sly
Cheryl
Dawg
HotDog
Waterfall
Sheltowee
Kinnickinic
Tagalong
Ox
Mainframe
No Chance
Scrunchy
Sleepy
Clyde
eArThworm
Tin Man
Mrs. Tin Man
Sunrise
Liteshoe
Dr Feek
Swallowtail
Spur
Ready
Marsha
Shelly
OB
Ellen
Lexie
Gracie
MadDuck
Stormy
Greenbrier
Trailtalker
Smile
Weathercarrot
Sloetoe
Bug
Mr. Magic
The Wookie
Island Mama
Debbie
Stillness
Miss Janet
Jeff Hunter
Pittsburgh
Barb
Rockdancer
Frosty
Spirit Walker
Bald Eagle
Black Wolfe
Rogene
Matt
Sparrow
Bill Murphy
Bayou
Bearbait
Dick Evans
Reverse
general
Turtle
Redbeard
Cutty
Moose '97
Megan
Moonbeam
Hutch
Blue Gill
Cool Change
Pavolov's Dog
Martha
Marta
Smokestack
Happy Feet
Suzy Miles
Craig Miles
Ron Haven
The Soulmate
First Pilgrim
Subman
Chief
OJ
David A.
Youngblood
Swiss
Radio
Krazy Katie
Circuit Rider
Sherlock
Rubberbandman
Ron Moak
L. Wolf
Gypsy
Almost There
Stumpknocker
Junker
Hopeful
Kelly

This is a fairly accurate list although there may be a couple that didn't make it and weren't eliminated and few others that were there but didn't request name tags.

Also, here's a list of the people that signed the register. Some day I'll go through it and add or delete as needed...

http://www.soruck.com/images/reg06/reg06a.jpg http://www.soruck.com/images/reg06/reg06b.jpg http://www.soruck.com/images/reg06/reg06c.jpg http://www.soruck.com/images/reg06/reg06d.jpg http://www.soruck.com/images/reg06/reg06e.jpg

attroll
01-28-2006, 22:19
How about someone posting some pictures of this Ruck as we can put some faces to names.

Sly
01-28-2006, 22:26
I brought my camera but didn't take a single picture! I hope to do better next year.

Some (with labels) can be found on the backcountry.net gallery

http://gallery.backcountry.net/

Smile
01-28-2006, 22:59
Whoops Sly! Didn't read the date on that list, sorry 'bout that!

You did such an organized job with name tags and everything, how could I be so foolish to think you'd forget me and the 'bandman!

Great Ruck, can't wait till the next one!

attroll
01-28-2006, 23:06
Thanks for the link Sly. I wish I had know Frosty was going be there. I might have been able to catch a ride with him. Oh Well. It looks like I missed another good time.

Smile
01-28-2006, 23:19
A few SoRuck photos (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=4947)

Sly
01-28-2006, 23:25
Troll, Frosty met Rockdancer in the Boston area, and drove down with him. If I hear about anyone driving down from New England next year, I'll let you know.

Or, if you fly into Asheville, I should be able to hook you up with a ride from there.

attroll
01-29-2006, 00:08
Troll, Frosty met Rockdancer in the Boston area, and drove down with him. If I hear about anyone driving down from New England next year, I'll let you know.

Or, if you fly into Asheville, I should be able to hook you up with a ride from there.

Thanks Sly. Next year we'll see what happens.

Frosty
01-29-2006, 00:46
Thanks for the link Sly. I wish I had know Frosty was going be there. I might have been able to catch a ride with him. Oh Well. It looks like I missed another good time.You missed a great time. Actually, with Sly's help, I caught a ride with Rockdancer. the ride was more fun (say it isn't so!) than our jaunt to Trail Days. Rockdancer and I spent a night camping in Pine Grove Furnace and a night in Kincora. Of course, on this trip Rockdancer and I didn't have time constraints that you, the Scribe and I did.

attroll
01-29-2006, 01:37
You missed a great time. Actually, with Sly's help, I caught a ride with Rockdancer. the ride was more fun (say it isn't so!) than our jaunt to Trail Days. Rockdancer and I spent a night camping in Pine Grove Furnace and a night in Kincora. Of course, on this trip Rockdancer and I didn't have time constraints that you, the Scribe and I did.
I would have been on time contraints with this one too so I would not have been able to go. But Trail Days is looking good for me this year. Just need to decide how I am going to do it. I am going to take the week prior to Trail Days off. So there will not be as many contraints this year if all goes well.

The Solemates
01-30-2006, 13:40
once again sly, you spelled my name wrong :)

The Solemates
01-30-2006, 13:42
How about someone posting some pictures of this Ruck as we can put some faces to names.

dont have many, but there are some on my photos link below under the Bartram/SoRuck album.

Sly
01-30-2006, 13:57
once again sly, you spelled my name wrong :)

LOL... Sorry. That was from the original name tag list. I'll get it right next year though. Remind me. ;)