PDA

View Full Version : Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket Video Review

STICK
02-26-2011, 18:25
After eyeballing these things for so long I was finally able to pull the trigger on one. Since it showed up on my door step a few weeks ago I haven't wanted to take it off. It's awesome!

Anyway, I made a video review showing it off this morning, so if anyone is interested they can check it out on my site:

Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Review (http://stick13.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/mont-bell-ul-down-inner-jacket-review/)

Thanks for checking it out.

Kia Kaha
02-26-2011, 19:20
Don't know if it is the same fabric as the thermawrap, but I wear my pack with my thermawrap under it all the time and have had no abrasion issues. I went with the thermawrap due to the synthetic insulation, I sweat a lot and do not like my down insulation pieces wet! MB makes some really nice insulation items, I am thinking of getting something with a hood next.

STICK
02-26-2011, 20:12
Kia, it is the same 15D Ballistic Airlight fabric, so that is good to know. Thanks. I figure once I get to use it for a while I will see how durable it is for myself. Until then I am still cautious initially with my light weight gear...

I was also debating the hooded version of this jacket. But in the end, I figured a down boggin would be more versatile. Now I just need to get the down boggin...at least though temps are warming up and I shouldn't need a down boggin for quite a while. I do believe the colder temps are gone from us now. I can just use a regular boggin for now if I need to.

Kia Kaha
02-26-2011, 21:05
I wear a hat (Mt Hware dome perignon) and like it better as well, but there are those few times when the cold air goes down my neck that I wish I had a hood. On the lighter pieces they are not as desired. I wear my thermawrap all the time out and about as well, i think it is about 3 years old and no issues, except that I lost the stuff sack! I thought it was the same fabric. I have the thermawrap pants, but my wife has the ul down inner pants and they seem about the same. The UL down packs a bit smaller, warmth is pretty close, I'd give the edge to the down. enjoy the jacket.

STICK
02-26-2011, 21:39
I have that same boggin. That joker can be warm. I like wearing my buff around my neck to block out the drafts from sneaking in. Then if it is warm enough I wear the buff as a skull cap and obviously I don't worry about drafts.

I will have to try out some of those pants...bet they are great in camp!

Kia Kaha
02-27-2011, 00:28
I don't pull the pants out unless it is below freezing, but they are pretty warm.

Raul Perez
02-27-2011, 10:08
I traded in my UL Down Inner Parka for the EX Light Down Jacket. I have the black rock down hat and that is fine and the hood was overkill. I also have the down inner pants I use them for lows between 45*F - 30*F with a base layer they are off the hook.

Great video Stick.

10-K
02-27-2011, 10:17
I traded in my UL Down Inner Parka for the EX Light Down Jacket. I have the black rock down hat and that is fine and the hood was overkill. I also have the down inner pants I use them for lows between 45*F - 30*F with a base layer they are off the hook.

Great video Stick.

Another vote for the BR down hat. Combined with my Goosefeet booties my head and feet are plenty warm.

STICK
02-27-2011, 10:39
I have been eyeballing those black rock hats for a while. Same as the goosefeet...and the pants...just when you think you get over the mountain, there are more... :) at least they are fun...