PDA

View Full Version : REI Buying Trip Tomorrow - Advice Appreciated

DarkBunny
02-26-2011, 21:19
I know this is short notice, but I am looking for anybody's quick input as I got the go-ahead to drive out to REI tomorrow (over an hour away) and get my first backpack. I am looking at the following and would love any comments about durability, quality, best value for price, etc. Looking to start section hiking this summer, first trip planned for Georgia in August. Wanting to spend between $185-$240 and get a pack that is reasonably light and good for 5-7 day hike. Posted earlier in general gear thread on a specific pack and got great info. Thanks to all who can reply promptly, really appreciate it.

Looking specifically at these packs:

REI Flash 65
REI Crestrail 70
Gregory Z65
Osprey Atmos 65
Deuter Aircontact 65+10

TIA, DarkBunny

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-26-2011, 21:27
Try em all on, with dead weight in them... make the salesperson hate you for making him stay through his lunch time... you'll be happy. Looks like a good variety of packs. Just don't get your heart set on one before you really try em all. I had my heart set on an Osprey and ended up with a Deuter and SO glad I did. With that price range you will be able to find a good quality pack.

tirebiter
02-26-2011, 21:28
Big, big fan of my Black Diamond Infinity 60, which they carry at REI.

V Eight
02-26-2011, 21:31
I only have about 250 miles on my Flash 65 But I have been very please with it doing the same type of hikes
that you are planing. Just be careful not to overload it.
40lbs is it's max I think. When i go out for 5/6 days mine
weighs 28 to 32 pounds with food & water, is very comfortable for me.

Good luck on your up coming hikes

vibbertations
02-26-2011, 22:19
Are you going to Brentwood? If so, I think everyone there is trained in selling you a pack or at least it seems that way! We've bought 4 packs there now (Lowe Alpine, REI, and TNF) and each time we were there to buy a different pack than what we ended up with. Try them on and make several laps around the store and shove various things in your pack to see how they feel. Good luck!

LDog
02-26-2011, 22:40
Here's some homwork for you BPL's state of the market report on internal frame packs:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_2.html

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2011, 22:42
I know this is short notice, but I am looking for anybody's quick input as I got the go-ahead to drive out to REI tomorrow (over an hour away) and get my first backpack. I am looking at the following and would love any comments about durability, quality, best value for price, etc. Looking to start section hiking this summer, first trip planned for Georgia in August. Wanting to spend between $185-$240 and get a pack that is reasonably light and good for 5-7 day hike. Posted earlier in general gear thread on a specific pack and got great info. Thanks to all who can reply promptly, really appreciate it.

Looking specifically at these packs:

REI Flash 65
REI Crestrail 70
Gregory Z65
Osprey Atmos 65
Deuter Aircontact 65+10

TIA, DarkBunny

http://www.golite.com/carry-gear/mens/backcountry

just enter - BSF10 - coupon code at checkout at golite.com

40 percent discount, till end of march.

double d
02-26-2011, 23:38
I only have about 250 miles on my Flash 65 But I have been very please with it doing the same type of hikes
that you are planing. Just be careful not to overload it.
40lbs is it's max I think. When i go out for 5/6 days mine
weighs 28 to 32 pounds with food & water, is very comfortable for me.

Good luck on your up coming hikes

I agree, the Flash 65 (REI model backpack) is outstanding. I hiked with it last summer on the AT/LT in Vermont and have nothing but good things to say about it. Try it on and see what you think.

bigcranky
02-26-2011, 23:48
Try them all, maybe add the Osprey Exos 58. Anything in the 3500-4000 cubic inch range that weighs around 3 pounds or so would be about right. Make sure it fits and is comfortable -- once you think you've found the right pack, carry it around the store for 20 or 30 or 60 minutes, fully loaded, up the stairs, etc.

DarkBunny
02-28-2011, 03:45
The REI trip went great, thanks for all the help.

bigcranky
02-28-2011, 08:27
So, what did you end up buying? Inquiring minds want to know...

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-28-2011, 09:09
^^^^^^^^^^

DarkBunny
02-28-2011, 21:04
After trying quite a few, I ended up with the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. I liked the Gregory a lot, but the selling point on the Deuter was that with the same weight in it, I felt like I was carrying about half the load in the other packs. Thanks for the advice, guys, I really appreciate it. Can't wait to test-drive this baby this weekend. Thinking of doing a short 10 miles or so here in one of the local state parks.

Sierra Echo
02-28-2011, 21:09
My best advice before going on a REI buyout trip is to rob a bank!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-28-2011, 21:13
Congrats! Also super happy you got the same pack as me! WAHOO!

DarkBunny
02-28-2011, 21:52
Have you tried it out yet, EastCoast? Eager to hear about what it's really like.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-28-2011, 22:25
Did some laps around the neighborhood with about 32lbs. Felt great! Fully loaded I still have an easy 5liters of space, and that's a 5 day setup with all the comforts of home. Doing West Prong with some buddies on the 12/13 (I wanted to do a 15mi loop on Huskey Gap- got outvoted). Will post as soon as I get back.