PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad

markmack
02-26-2011, 22:36
has any one sucessfully mastered using a sleeping pad in a hammock, i tried it today just playing around as i have just recently got my first hammock, a hennessy. i get the pad in there but then my feet are off it, i try scooting and rolling and everything to get my whole body on it but just dont happen and im not even in a sleeping bag yet! if its this much of a pain in the butt the hammock will be for warm weather use only. forgot to say the pad is just blue foam cheapy from walmart

GeneralLee10
02-26-2011, 22:54
I have use all three of my sleeping pads in the HH. Yes, it is a bit tricky but it does work. I have a ThermaRest ProLite 4, down to earth pad from Jacks-R-Better, & a walmart pad I have cut down to 3/4 size. The only thing I notice is that in the am the two foam pads have the curve of your body in them. Good luck and enjoy.

bigcranky
02-26-2011, 23:52
I have used several pads in my Hennessy.

Put the pad in the hammock diagonally -- the way you are going to sleep in the hammock. Stand up inside the slit, facing the pad, turn around and sit down on the pad, trying to center your butt. Then lie down and pull your feet in, and you should be mostly on the pad. Now pull your sleeping bag over yourself as a quilt -- stick your feet inside the end and drape the rest around you.

If you really need to be all the way inside the bag, then lay it out on the pad during step 1. Open it as much as possible, and sit down on top of the bag. Lie back, stick your feet in the bag, reach down and zip it up.

It takes a while to get it all working, but once you've done it a few times, it gets a lot easier.

RWBlue
02-27-2011, 01:04
Yes and no.
The pad goes in fine. I get to sleep on it no problem. But I wake up in the middle of the night having wormed my way off the pad.

dhock83
02-27-2011, 02:49
It sounds funny but it takes parctice to get everything right. I have a HH and almost always use a pad and bag(unless it is summer then just a bag)I find that if I put the pad in cross way just like it is meant to sleep and then i slide the pad down so that it cant slide down any more. That way it doesnt have much room to move around in the middle of the night. It is different for everyone just keep trying diffferent things till you find something you can deal with.

Fiddleback
02-27-2011, 11:24
IMHO, there is a long learning curve...steep learning curve for some...that can spawn a whole bunch of user error. You know...the multiple stories, e.g., 'Bought a cool hammock. Spent my first night in it on the trail. Came home and returned the stupid hammock.' :D The rest of us keep trying.

There are pads and there are pads. The kind of foam and the size of the pad makes a difference in how it stays put in the hammock and how the hanger stays put on the pad.

I have very limited experience with hammock pads 'cause I've only ever used one; the 40"X60"X¼" pad from Oware (now 3/16" thick). It seems to me it slips very little...possibly because, with its size, there's not much room for it to go anywhere. The same applies to me...it's hard to slip off the pad when it covers almost all of the hammock floor space. I really, really like it and I've never used any other. It is thin but it's kept me comfortable into the mid-20's. I've read it's similar to those put out by Gossamer.

FB

Turtle Feet
02-27-2011, 11:34
has any one sucessfully mastered using a sleeping pad in a hammock, i tried it today just playing around as i have just recently got my first hammock, a hennessy. i get the pad in there but then my feet are off it, i try scooting and rolling and everything to get my whole body on it but just dont happen and im not even in a sleeping bag yet! if its this much of a pain in the butt the hammock will be for warm weather use only. forgot to say the pad is just blue foam cheapy from walmart

Sell the Hennessy - buy a Warbonnet double, slide the pad between the two bottom layers... problem solved.

markmack
02-27-2011, 12:06
Sell the Hennessy - buy a Warbonnet double, slide the pad between the two bottom layers... problem solved.
just went to the warbonnet web site. hammock looks cool but there site is not put together very well. is there a rain fly?

Helios
02-27-2011, 12:24
just went to the warbonnet web site. hammock looks cool but there site is not put together very well. is there a rain fly?

Rainfly is a separte choice. The Superfly, Mamjamba are the larger versions. The edge is a nice small tarp. Depending on your needs, any of the 3 would make a nice choice.

I have the Superfly, and posted pics on hammockforums.net I think you'll find pics of all 3 tarps there.

markmack
02-27-2011, 12:28
Rainfly is a separte choice. The Superfly, Mamjamba are the larger versions. The edge is a nice small tarp. Depending on your needs, any of the 3 would make a nice choice.

I have the Superfly, and posted pics on hammockforums.net I think you'll find pics of all 3 tarps there.
i spent a little more time on the site and found them just a few thing i didnt like but it looks like a nice hammock. whats the packed weight with the superfly tarp and hammock?

kayak karl
02-27-2011, 12:43
can you get worst advise LOL. on the trail your better off with an under quilt. and before you buy a Warbonnet check one out. its all hype and not a good choice for thru.

Turtle Feet
02-27-2011, 13:28
can you get worst advise LOL. on the trail your better off with an under quilt. and before you buy a Warbonnet check one out. its all hype and not a good choice for thru.

I'm not suggesting he use a pad - that's his idea.

I've got a great TQ & UQ from hammockgear.com Love 'em!

I have 3 hammocks, but the WBB is the one coming with me to Springer.

Markmack - there are a bunch of choices in hammocks, tarps, insulation. Alot of different companies in business, so obiviously there's something for everyone's appetite. I happen to be happy with what I've got.

To answer your question regarding weight: tarp (OES Delux size Cuben fiber) with tieouts and snakeskins: 8oz

Hammock with suspension & treestraps: 1lb 11oz

Hope that helps.

tf
ps: don't worry about the guys website, he makes a great product

Turtle Feet
02-27-2011, 13:32
I should add - if you haven't already, check out www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) It's the sister site to WhiteBlaze. It's EVERYTHING hammock. Almost information overload, but a great site!

gunner76
02-27-2011, 14:28
buy a Warbonnet double, slide the pad between the two bottom layers... problem solved.

I use a wallyworld waffle patterned blue pad in my Warbonnet Blackbird. Works fine.

Like anything in life there is no one perfect solution for everything. I would love to have a underquilt (UQ) but I can not afford one so I use my wallyworld blue pad. I own several brands of hammocks but if I am out camping I take my Blackbird because of all the features it has. One thing that is not "hype", if you get a Blackbird and decide to sell it, you can get almost what you bought it for and it usally sells in under a day on Hammockforums.net The BlackBird is made in the US by basically a one person show (yes Brandon has been testing out having some hammocks and taps made in China and I can report the quaility is excellent on the imprted tarp I got). Becuase he is a very small operation making high quality products you may have to wait a few weeks to get you order

markmack
03-03-2011, 21:51
thanks guys

rjcress
03-07-2011, 12:15
I've used my thermarest zlite in my hammocks and find it insulates well, but isn't nearly as comfortable as an underquilt.

I recently made an underquilt and top quilt with Insultex insulation (thin foam).
Here's how to make the UQ:
http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a-diy-insultex-ix-underquilt-for-hammock-camping-myog/

Here is the TQ I just made:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29579

I sound like a broken record today.
Seems like everyone has been asking the same sort of questions. Insultex is so new that I don't think many folks know about it or have much experience with it.
Great alternative to many of the more expensive materials.