PDA

View Full Version : First Class Mail

dgposey
02-26-2011, 23:43
Planning for my first thru (NB '11)! And I haven't seen this question answered yet regarding mail drops: Is the general delivery at the PO (or at hostels, etc., for that matter) available for first class mail? Can my friends and family send me letters and postcards while I'm on the trail?

WingedMonkey
02-27-2011, 00:29
Planning for my first thru (NB '11)! And I haven't seen this question answered yet regarding mail drops: Is the general delivery at the PO (or at hostels, etc., for that matter) available for first class mail? Can my friends and family send me letters and postcards while I'm on the trail?

Any post office will accept mail addressed the same way as mail drops. It might be more than Hostels want to get into or it might not bother them. The problem comes when you get off schedule or you mail gets there after you have left. Does a hostel really have time to forward mail? Most post offices are going to ask you to do a change of address, that gets crazy and it may never catch up with you.
One solution to cut down on the number of pieces of mail is to have them mailed to your home address or the person doing your drops, then all put in one envelope. One person is more aware of your hiking schedule as it changes.
Anyhow you are the one that's supposed to be sending post cards :sun

Gramps
02-27-2011, 02:05
Any post office will accept mail addressed the same way as mail drops. It might be more than Hostels want to get into or it might not bother them. The problem comes when you get off schedule or you mail gets there after you have left. Does a hostel really have time to forward mail? Most post offices are going to ask you to do a change of address, that gets crazy and it may never catch up with you.
One solution to cut down on the number of pieces of mail is to have them mailed to your home address or the person doing your drops, then all put in one envelope. One person is more aware of your hiking schedule as it changes.
Anyhow you are the one that's supposed to be sending post cards :sun

This is probably the best idea. I work for the PO. & some larger offices are doing away with general delivery, but smaller ones (one-man) probably will still accept it this way. But getting off-schedule would be the main drawback.

Jeff
02-27-2011, 08:10
This is probably the best idea. I work for the PO. & some larger offices are doing away with general delivery, but smaller ones (one-man) probably will still accept it this way. But getting off-schedule would be the main drawback.

Doing away with General Delivery??? Wow, first I have ever heard of that. If you have more details, please share them.

General Delivery is a key issue on a thru hike.

Blissful
02-27-2011, 09:56
Never heard anything on that either
Still on their official web site (http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesfordelivery/receivemailinotherplaces.htm)
But it does say "designated locations" so I'm sure trail towns fall into that.

beartripper
02-27-2011, 10:06
I am a retired PM and the USPS will have to change their manuals if they are going to stop General Delivery for their customers. In the bigger offices with stations, etc, they can select one office to take care of General Delivery.

fredmugs
03-01-2011, 15:35
Is it true that if I send myself a package to a specific PO and I don't need it that they will forward it to another PO free of charge?

I've heard that but would love to hear it again from someone who has worked there.