PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to dehydrate Velveeta cheese ?

Procras108r
02-27-2011, 00:45
I know, I know....it is wicked stuff, but I liked it every since I was a kid. I wonder if any of you have tried to dehydrate the stuff. If so, can you post a review of how it rehydrated, ease of use, etc.

WingedMonkey
02-27-2011, 00:57
Why? It easily last a week or more on the trail.

kayak karl
02-27-2011, 01:05
why not just do it and tell us how it worked???

Penguin
02-27-2011, 06:20
Try Kraft Mac and Cheese. They did the dehydrating for you and it's cheaper. Hahah I would like to know how it turns out. Mmmmm Cheese!

Roland
02-27-2011, 07:00
I know, I know....it is wicked stuff, but I liked it every since I was a kid. I wonder if any of you have tried to dehydrate the stuff. If so, can you post a review of how it rehydrated, ease of use, etc.

I know diddly about dehydrating foods, so take that into consideration when wading through this post. :cool:

I have often read that dehydrating fatty foods requires special care. For instance, when dehydrating hamburger, it is often recommended that the browned beef be rinsed with water, to wash off the fat, before dehydration. When making beef jerky, lean cuts work better that fatty beef.

Cheese is very high in fat, so I'm guessing it may be a challenge to obtain satisfactory results.

Would something like this (http://www.barryfarm.com/nutri_info/milk/cheddarpowder.html) work for you? Yeah, it's not Velveeta, but it's already "dehydrated" and cheap.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 09:44
You don't, when you can buy it like this

http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Powder-1-lb/dp/B00016LZT8/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1298814207&sr=1-1

Dehydrating cheese turns into a oily mess like the worst cheese pizza, the process to dry cheese is different.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2011, 10:53
Not knowing the ingredients of velveeta, but using my imagination, I would say it's packed with fat. I would further imagine that the heat of a dehydrator would turn the cheese into goooee (sp? best I can do) mess and being that it's full of fat that'll be it's end state -- a goooee blob. Fat does not dehydrate.

Wonder
02-27-2011, 14:13
I always just threw a block in my pack......never turned on me

Old Hiker
02-27-2011, 14:18

See? SEE??? It's NOT the breed, it's the owner! :rolleyes:

Mother Natures Son
02-27-2011, 14:30
I agree with the others, it will turn out to be a mess. The same thing goes for Spam and other high fat foods. Smoked cheeses are better to take on the trail becase they don't fal apart or go bad after a few days. (they don't need to be dehydrated, of course)

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 14:50
MNS you are forgetting pemican which is loaded with fat... Most of the time the fat is removed. I have taken Spam light, fried it a little and dried it a lot, it's like protein laden potato chips - very good and very light.

Summer Sausage & Smoked Cheeses, and block cheese. all keeps on the trail.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 14:53

Hey you were in town and you never stopped by the Duffers? Saw your dad yesterday.

sarbar
02-28-2011, 13:04
Velveeta ain't cheese, it is a cheese like food product :p And yeah, it is pretty shelf stable from all the crap in it. Not worth messing with for drying, it is full of OIL.

Farr Away
02-28-2011, 13:27
Velveeta will keep at least a couple days on the trail. I wrap about a half inch slice in wax paper and slide it into a ziploc. The wax paper is to minimize the fuss/mess in getting it back out of the bag.

So partially unwrap and tip it into your meal.

The wax paper (with the oil) can be used to help start a fire if you're so inclined. Otherwise, just fold it cheese-side in, and put it in your trash bag.

-FA