PDA

View Full Version : "The Weasel"-Whatever happened to Him?

highway
01-08-2005, 09:21
Whatever happened to the Weasel? The one who figured so prominently during the early trials and tribulations (and there were many) of those few posters in the REAL beginning of WhiteBlaze-a few sites back? He was an attorney, as I vaguely recall, and I enjoyed his peculiar sense of humor and writing style then. I hope he is OK. :-?

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 09:25
I don't know. There isn't any activity on his account in almost a year, and I haven't heard anything from him at all.

highway
01-08-2005, 09:59
Thanks. Maybe someone else knows him. Or, at least let's hope he is to busy hiking to post anymore and has taken to just occasional "lurking". If so, maybe this well draw him back. Thats better than some alternatives.

Lugnut
01-08-2005, 15:17
I recently came across a picture I had of him that I took Traildays 2 or 3 years ago so I e-mailed him to see if he wanted me to scan it and send it to him. He did. I sent it but never heard from him again after that. As many people as he antagonized back then he may well be tied to a tree in the woods of Michigan! :D

Skeemer
01-09-2005, 10:22
If so, somebody probably shot him.

Kerosene
01-09-2005, 14:28
I met up with The Weasel for lunch in Ann Arbor, about 40 miles from his home in southeast Michigan, for lunch 3 years ago. He was thinking about taking a position overseas, but that shouldn't keep him from wasting at least some of his time on this board.

highway
01-10-2005, 07:53
.... As many people as he antagonized back then he may well be tied to a tree in the woods of Michigan! :D

I remember some of those caustic posts between him and a few others back then. As is mostly the case with forums, I never knew any of those participants then but often wondered about the origins of the bickering. Was he really being antagonistic or was he just telling the truth, as he saw it?

Either way, he still occupies a confortable place in the beginning of this site-whether liked or not..

Lugnut
01-10-2005, 10:59
Being a lawyer he has the talent to argue either side of the subject at hand. I think that most of the time he was on his own side but once in a while played devil's advocate. Even though he could sometimes be long winded he was usually informative and always entertaining. I, for one, would like to see him rejoin us.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 11:49
I remember some of those caustic posts between him and a few others back then. As is mostly the case with forums, I never knew any of those participants then but often wondered about the origins of the bickering. Was he really being antagonistic or was he just telling the truth, as he saw it?

I think some of that had it's origin from 2001 when he was a regular participant at Trailplace. He lectured alot of 2000-milers on how to hike the trail before he started his own hike. That ticked a lot of folks off.

Like I have said 100 times however, internet forums are no substitute or example of the trail community. Once I hit the trail and meet folks face to face, I can get along with almost anyone, regardless of their political stripe or any other differences. Thieves and liars are about the only exception, and I tend to give them a wide berth.

I flamed The Weasel once on this site, and then regretted it. I'm sure he's a fun & interesting guy in-person. I'd like to think I am too. :D

The Weasel
02-05-2005, 22:47
I suppose it will come to a few with some regret that I wasn't shot, but I did fall afoul of a pair of scissors and a razor, and rejoined the trial lawyer ranks, while hardly forgetting the beauty of the trail...and those who enjoy it.

And to the equal surprise of some, I've just not had a lot to say for a while, so, recalling Franklin's Law ("Better to be silent, and thought a fool, than to speak, and confirm it.), I've been a bit silent, I know. But I still have my opinions, and may share them a bit more.

To my many friends here - Rock, most of all (who has been more in my thoughts than even the rest) - thank you for kind words.

Oh...and Mowgli: Go back, if you ever wish, and look over those Trailplace posts: I don't think I told others "how to hike their own hike" as much as I enjoyed pricking the balloon of those who, intoning their mantra of "HYOH", then - as now - proclaim Holy Writ about how hike must be hiked. Us trial lawyers (at least the ones who haven't yet been shot!) often enjoy tying others up in the knots of their own inconsistencies. (Of course, having hiked a few miles more than 2000 before I got to Springer had a little to do with that, maybe. Still does, I guess.)

But yeah, I'm sort of like your basic PUDs. After a while, you sort of start to like them, and find they're not all that bad after all.

So yeah, The Weasel (please...for both of those who may care enough about all this to comment, I've never been a Weasel but The Weasel) is back, getting around to some serious hiking soon, and living in California, which in many ways IS another country.

The Weasel
GA->VA '00
VA->ME in this lifetime

Kerosene
02-06-2005, 10:33
Nice to have you check in, The Weasel! I was wondering where you'd gone off to!

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 12:42
Welcome back sir! And if you ever get out to the Smokies, look me up.

Groucho
02-06-2005, 16:15
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln

Do you have a source for The Franklin?

The Weasel
02-07-2005, 00:51
Hoist on my own Franklin-esque petard, perhaps, although there seem to be a lot of different attributions, including Mark Twain. So I'll go with the "Coulda-Shoulda" Principle (also known as "Berra's Rule of Simplicity") and stay with Franklin.

I hope this kindles a vast and free-ranging debate, including vituperation and ascriptions of how I'm headed for the firey furnaces in a picnic basket, since this is perhaps one of the most critical issues of the day, not to mention to thru hiking.

Ain't it grand to have me back?

"Words are a lawyer's stock in trade." (A. Lincoln)

The Weasel
GA-VA 00
VA-ME sooner or later

RenaissanceMan98
02-07-2005, 01:18
"Words are a lawyer's stock in trade." (A. Lincoln)

Perhaps you mean THE Lincoln?

:)

Clark Fork
02-07-2005, 02:54
[QUOTE=The Weasel]Hoist on my own Franklin-esque petard, perhaps, although there seem to be a lot of different attributions, including Mark Twain. So I'll go with the "Coulda-Shoulda" Principle (also known as "Berra's Rule of Simplicity") and stay with Franklin.

Most authorities attribute the quote to Lincoln and not Franklin. The nearest quote that is any way similar by Franklin is the following:

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2485.html)

Really good advice for those posting here but I will take momentary exception and submit this quote from Franklin apropos to the recently surfaced and apparently vocationaly aptly named "Weasel".

A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/34185.html)

Best Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

The Weasel
02-07-2005, 14:48
Well, I've proved it once again...people will argue about just about anything, anywhere, no matter how little it has to do with a forum's raison d'etre. Dang. But then, if it weren't for arguments, I'd have to look for another line of work....

No, guys, A. Lincoln is not The Lincoln. The Lincoln is, as all from Michigan will gladly share, the Continental convertible produced in 1940, not the 1809 model, who was merely a lawyer who saved the Union, emancipated, at the stroke of a pen, much of the human race that lived in the United States (including many who lived within shoutin' distance of what is now the AT), and died a martyr to freedom, who is generally known as "A. Lincoln." As No. 38 once said, "I'm a Ford , not A. Lincoln." These distinctions are important.

As for precision in attribution, gosh, again. This, too, is important to thru hikers. The aptness of my appellation is due to Hacksaw (q.v.), and the story of that is findable, presumably, elsewhere here for those who care. But yes, it's professionally related, and I have ever been grateful to Hacksaw for his wisdom in bestowing it on me, since it was an act of love for the AT. (Lest one wonder, it was agape and not eros which led him to it.) As for Franklin's observation about lawyers, well, I guess he never met A. Lincoln. However, most assuredly, I can tell you that he never drove one, either.

Ummm...by the way, Clark Fork in Western Montana, what is your occupation, so that all here can gratuitiously insult you, too?

The Weasel (who, like A. Lincoln, is just a lawyer, albeit not in his class)
GA->VA '00
VA-ME God Willing

RenaissanceMan98
02-07-2005, 17:02
No further questions your honour.

Skeemer
02-07-2005, 18:24
Anybody know any good lawyer jokes?

The Weasel
02-07-2005, 20:21
OK. We've gone from, "Where is that idiot?" to "He must be an idiot, he's a lawyer!" to "Does anyone know any good lawyer jokes?" I think we've won the Oscar for "Best Example of Going Furthest Away From Trailplace Topics." Can we just say, "Hey, The Weasel! Sorry/Glad you're back (cross out whichever best suits you, or leave it to both)!" and be done with it?

Besides there are no good lawyer jokes. There are many about bad lawyers, though.

The Weasel
Yeah, yeah, yeah, GAVA '00, VA->ME in the not impossibly distant future

TJ aka Teej
02-07-2005, 20:37
Besides there are no good lawyer jokes.
Oh, sure there are!

A lawyer named Strange died, and his friend asked the tombstone maker to inscribe on his tombstone, "Here lies Strange, an honest man, and a lawyer."

The stonemason insisted that such an inscription would be confusing, for passersby would tend to think that three men were buried under the stone.

However he suggested an alternative: He would inscribe, "Here lies a man who was both honest and a lawyer.

"That way, whenever anyone walked by the tombstone and read it, they would be certain to remark: "That's Strange!"

Welcome back, Weasel! :D

wacocelt
02-07-2005, 23:05
Howdy The Weasle, long time no see! I'm related to a few lawyers, so will save my puns for them. Welcome back!

The Weasel
02-08-2005, 15:17
Lest it be overlooked, I am - honestly, so let's not dwell on it before I become disgustingly maudlin, which is really, really horrible when I'm sober (and not much better when I'm not) - touched to be remembered so kindly. Sarge...it seems like there's another stripe on there than I remember. 'Sene...if I didn't thank you for that pic (and I think I did, but who counts?), it's one of my screensavers. Teej...great try, but that joke was about all the strange lawyers who weren't Strange, which was my point to begin with. Waco? Dude! The rest of you, yeah, I've missed you, too. A lot.

Now, before I break into horrible wailings of "Oh Danny Boy!" can we stash the lawyer jokes and go back to the Trail? I promise to be irascible, if that's what's missing.

The Weasel
GA------------>......

Lugnut
02-08-2005, 19:00
Did you get the picture I sent of you at Traildays?

The Weasel
02-08-2005, 20:07
Yes, although a couple of crashes have, I think, lost it...is there hope of a resurrection? Of the picture, that is?

The Weasel
GA--->

smokymtnsteve
02-08-2005, 21:29
"Walking pure and Never slack...watch out Maine THE WEASEL is back"

The Weasel, Newfound Gap, May 2000.

Kerosene
02-08-2005, 23:37
Whoa, forget about The Weasel, our all-time top poster, smokymtnsteve, is paying us a visit from the Far North!

The Weasel
02-09-2005, 00:05
You can't forget The Weasel and think about Smoky Mountain Steve, or even vice versa. They may not see each other all that much, but they keep finding each other through this life. (Hey Steve! I gotta new hearing aid I can wear while walkin' !)

The Wheezil
GAME, SET and MATCH before 2105.