PDA

View Full Version : Exped vs Exped

Tipi Walter
02-27-2011, 11:41
I use an Exped Downmat 9 for winter backpacking and I'm wondering if there are any Exped experts out there who could recommend a suitable summer Exped with as much comfort and size but at a lower R value??

It would have to be in the large category (77x26) with either mouth-inflation or built-in hand pump. I am looking at these possibles:

** Synmat 7 Pump
** Synmat 9 Pump
** Synmat Basic 7.5
** SIM Comfort 5 DLX

skinewmexico
02-27-2011, 12:47
I have a Synmet 7 I got on SAC, but to be honest, I've never inflated it. And for some reason, I can' t picture you in summer; I'm too used to your winter epic journeys!

J5man
02-27-2011, 13:02
I have a Synmet 7 I got on SAC, but to be honest, I've never inflated it. And for some reason, I can' t picture you in summer; I'm too used to your winter epic journeys!

LOL! Tipi's packweight will go down from 70 lb winter weight to 65lb summer weight! Tipi has been my go to source for advice on cold weather layering systems, ideas, etc....since I started backpacking. He knows his stuff and I envy his budget for buying quality gear. He definitely goes in comfort.

Tipi, hope all is well my friend!

Tipi Walter
02-27-2011, 13:30

PLEASE don't remind me of approaching summer! I gotta look thru my crap and find the headnet . . . . . sob.

LOL! Tipi's packweight will go down from 70 lb winter weight to 65lb summer weight! Tipi has been my go to source for advice on cold weather layering systems, ideas, etc....since I started backpacking. He knows his stuff and I envy his budget for buying quality gear. He definitely goes in comfort.

Tipi, hope all is well my friend!

I do like my comforts. Just check out my current favorite tent: the green sausage tube tunnel behemoth!

Hoop
02-27-2011, 14:03
Familiar wth KookaBay insulated pads? Box-style construction, R8 down, R5 syn.

He'll make whatever size you order; pillows, too. [email protected]

Bags4266
02-27-2011, 15:09
Familiar wth KookaBay insulated pads? Box-style construction, R8 down, R5 syn.

He'll make whatever size you order; pillows, too. [email protected]

I think Bender at Kooka bay is behind the 8-ball. I had ordered a pad and he told me 3 wks, 5 wks later and several e-mails no pad. He did refund my pay pal.

Bags4266
02-27-2011, 15:12
I am now waiting on some feedback on two new pads the POE Peak Elite AC air pad and the Neo Treker. They are suppose to be warm and light using reflective material instead of insulation or down.

The Cleaner
02-27-2011, 15:24
PLEASE don't remind me of approaching summer! I gotta look thru my crap and find the headnet . . . . . sob.

I do like my comforts. Just check out my current favorite tent: the green sausage tube tunnel behemoth!
Those dang gnats:eek:....bout drive a man crazy....I'm a headnet user also;)

Hoop
02-27-2011, 15:32
Bags4266,

It took longer than the 3 wks it was supposed to, but I did get the pad. Agree, shouldn't promise what you can't deliver.

skinewmexico
02-27-2011, 23:09
I don't think Bender was expecting his business to boom like it did.