PDA

View Full Version : One month from today we'll be hiking the approach trail!!

Sassafras Lass
02-27-2011, 14:34
Wow - only a month left, I can't believe we're almost there!

How is everyone else doing? Last-minute purchases? Exercising or surfin' the net? How many of you are starting between now and then?

I wish you all the best of luck, and hope to see you on the trail! :)

Llama Legs
02-27-2011, 14:39
super jealous - but wishing you the time of your life :)

Sassafras Lass
02-27-2011, 14:45
super jealous - but wishing you the time of your life :)

Thank you so much - your Northern Lights photo is very lovely!

Jeff
02-27-2011, 14:51
I can feel your excitement !!!!

Be sure and see us as you pass through Vermont and enjoy the journey.

crazystick
02-27-2011, 15:20
Yea it's kind of unbelievable. It's getting close. Went to rei last night to pick some things up, pretty much have everything but some odds an ends which are things I can get at the drugstore, like hand sanitized. Not doin to much to trainexcept walking everywhere instead of driving.

Helios
02-27-2011, 15:32
Go Go Go!!!

I hiked the Approach Trail last year, and enjoyed it. The stairs up the falls were fun. Took my time and enjoyed the views. Then the climb up Springer was filled with anticipation. After almost 8 miles of blue blazes, and the spin up to following white blazes... I was so thrilled to see that plaque and finally be there. That first day was an amazing time... one of many along your adventure....

Enjoy!

crazystick
02-27-2011, 15:57
Thanks for those words of excitement Joe cross! Cannot wait. I think seeing my first white blaze will be amazing.

swjohnsey
02-27-2011, 16:06
I'll be on the approach trail March 30th.

fehchet
02-27-2011, 16:28
Flying south from Maine on March 18.

johnnyblisters
02-27-2011, 20:57
I'll be on the approach trail March 30th.

See ya out there, just switched my start date from 4/6 to 3/30. A little more time on before I have to leave trail for my GF's graduation ceremony. Getting so pumped about finally having the time and money to just walk. Best wishes to all of the 2011 class!

swjohnsey
02-27-2011, 21:09
See ya out there, just switched my start date from 4/6 to 3/30. A little more time on before I have to leave trail for my GF's graduation ceremony. Getting so pumped about finally having the time and money to just walk. Best wishes to all of the 2011 class!

Stayin' at Hiker Hostel. Probably eat lunch at the lodge before I set out

Phreak
02-27-2011, 21:55
Enjoy your hike! I'm one of the few people on here that loves the Approach Trail. Glad to see you are hiking it instead of driving around to Springer Mtn. Kudos to you!

zombiegrad
02-28-2011, 00:36
It's 2 weeks for me, F-Stop! I touch trail on March 15. I've got most of my gear now and am waiting for some other items to arrive, but mostly it's just practice right now--setting up my hammock and tarp. I think it'd be a good idea to practice bear bagging, too, since I've never done it. I think my last purchase will be a good pair of shoes, and I'm fancying the Montrail Sabino trail runners. Also, I'm trying to figure out if my pack is a good fit. Wearing it around and turning heads lol.

I definitely surf the net and spend a lot of time on White Blaze and Hammock forums. A little too much time! Also reading three trail journals and wanting to read Spirit Eagle's The Thruhiking papers and Steffanos' Then the Hail Came. Got AT on the brain 24/7 :P As for exercising, yes I've been going to the gym regularly. A month ago I didn't know I would be starting a thru hike but walking and running on an incline treadmill as I have been is a good thing, I think.

Wishing you the best on your thru prep and start!

Iceaxe
02-28-2011, 00:48
I am so excited! Two weeks left!
I can't wait to be in the beautiful state of Georgia, standing under the arch at Amicalola, ready to walk.
Last minute plans are being made. Buying food as i go so i don't have too many mail drop boxes, just shoes cause i have weird feet.
Bills are paid, arrangements to store my truck are done, I am ready to go!
Always wanted to meet southern folk since the few i have met out here were such great people. This will be my triple crown hike and might be the last long one for a while as I am stretching funds to the limit.
Well, you can make more money.. you can't make more time.
Hope to meet all y'all on the trail! :sun

Sassafras Lass
02-28-2011, 11:50
I think it'd be a good idea to practice bear bagging, too, since I've never done it.

Hey - speaking of which, we've only hiked in the Smokies with those nifty pre-made bear cables. What do ya'll do everywhere else? Just tie a rock w/ your paracord, throw it over a branch, and cinch up your food/any other smelly bag? Do you use just dry sacks or do you use a garbage bag to additionally cover your bags??

double d
02-28-2011, 12:29
Good luck and enjoy each day, no matter what happens!

Old Hiker
02-28-2011, 12:52
365 days and a wake up for me! Good luck, happy trails and enjoy!

Monkeywrench
02-28-2011, 13:08
Flying south from Maine on March 18.

March 18 will be the 2 year anniversary of the start of my thru-hike. Boy, I wish I was getting ready to do it again!

QuarterPounder
02-28-2011, 13:23
Last year at this time I was experiencing the same excitement and counting the days. I can remember the feeling and I definitely miss it. I will be with you in spirit for sure.

I wish you all a wonderful hike!!

QP

Sunshine Tami Jo
02-28-2011, 13:44
Hi! I'm hiking 31 days from today. I call it "my fool's journey" because I'm beginning on April 1st, but the reason I'm hiking has nothing to do with any foolishness. I'm hiking in my grandson's memory, and to raise awareness about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and Safe Sleep. My beautiful grendson taught me that I should never take tomorrow for granted because tomorrow may never come. I hope some of you will consider following me at http://shutterbugtami.blogspot.com/. And I wish all of the class of 2011 the best of luck!

Tami

zombiegrad
02-28-2011, 14:40
I'm going to try the PCT method. Here's a good youtube clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FXRJldcpE

I've seen that you can put a rock in a bandana and tie it off with cord or tie a piece of rope to your 20oz water bottle, and use these to throw your line. Yes I'm going to use my 25L waterproof dry sack as a food bag (it's probably way too big but oh well!). If it's raining, I might consider adding the trash bag.

Hey - speaking of which, we've only hiked in the Smokies with those nifty pre-made bear cables. What do ya'll do everywhere else? Just tie a rock w/ your paracord, throw it over a branch, and cinch up your food/any other smelly bag? Do you use just dry sacks or do you use a garbage bag to additionally cover your bags??

gopher
03-01-2011, 08:34
March 30 I will be standing at the arch! Ga-me on!