PDA

View Full Version : Fireflies in June 2011

catzby
02-27-2011, 14:54
I want to take a hike in June to enjoy the fireflies overnight. Is there anywhere other than Elkmont that has fireflies where you can camp and enjoy the show?

Helios
02-27-2011, 15:00
I've seen fireflies through VA, WV, MD and PA along the AT from June - August.

Lilred
02-27-2011, 17:30
I think we have finally exhausted all possible questions to ask.....please turn off the lights and close the door...

HeartFire
02-27-2011, 17:56
you could probably camp at campsite 20 on Meigs Mountain trail and hike in, though you would have to night hike back about 3 miles. I too would love to go see the synchronous fire flies there

catzby
02-28-2011, 11:41
Thanks for the information HeartFire... I am new to this not sure I'm ready for a hike in the dark yet. :) I've just been reading a lot about the "blue ghost" fireflies and how they appear in Mid June in Elkmont...also in the Congaree State Park in May. Some years they are more prominent than others... One lady noted that they were so numerous that her horse tried to step up onto them...

I have see fireflies but not these particular ones....

Lilred....I did chuckle to myself from your post as I'm sure there are more important issues than fireflies for the thru hikers etc. I had hoped than those of you who are more familiar with the trails could direct me somewhere other than the crowded Elkmont Campground....They close the road to the campground during the fireflies peak showing and haul people in and out via bus. I wanted to bring our 10 year old grand kids and make a few days of it but I don't want to get caught up in the tourist traps.

Thanks Again.

Delta-Dawn
02-28-2011, 11:56
I’m actually glad you posed this question, Catzby. We are going to do the GSMNP section in early June before we head to Katahdin to start walking home in July and I wanted to time it to see this. From pictures I have seen from friends that experienced it, it is a sight to behold. My daughter is 11, and she already asked if we would see the firefly show in June because she ‘doesn’t want to miss it.’ LOL She likes bugs, and fireflies look kinda like fairies, at least to an imaginative child. :)

balloonatic
02-28-2011, 12:13
here is a interesting thing to do with fireflies that i learned last summer. if you take a single bulbl led one of the powerfull ones and do a real quickburst of light the fireflies will actually respond back. it is pretty cool. I spent a ton of time doing it one night in georgia this summer. of course i am ammused by simmple shiny objects, (a.d.h.d.)
balloonatic

Delta-Dawn
02-28-2011, 12:25
Here is a link about it: http://hikinginthesmokys.blogspot.com/2009/04/synchronous-fireflies-of-elkmont.html

and http://www.terry-1.com/fireflies.htm

It is said to only happen in a few places in the world. :)

johnnyblisters
02-28-2011, 16:18
The field in front of Ten Mile River lean to has some of the best firefly shows I've ever seen.

Buffalo Skipper
02-28-2011, 16:57
you could probably camp at campsite 20 on Meigs Mountain trail and hike in, though you would have to night hike back about 3 miles. I too would love to go see the synchronous fire flies there

This may be your best bet. I have seen the synchronous fireflies at Elkmont. It is one of the most awe inspring experiences of my life! Do not miss this opportunity!

Evidence suggests that this particular specie puts on its show at a specific elevation--right about 2200'. Campsite 24 is about the same distance as Campsite 20, but the Little River trail follows the Little River (valley), so the hike back may be accompanied by quite the mating show. Campsite 20 is at about 2600' and Campsite 25 is at about 2750. Both are probably too high to view this specie of firefly.

I have seen the fireflies twice, but would love to see them again (and again!). Doing that from a backcountry perspective would be really cool. Good luck! Please let us know how this goes.

For those of you who are unaware of the syncronous fireflies of Elkmont, these are not your garden variety of firefly. Their behavior is unique to North America and only seen elsewhere in Southeast Asia.

Look here for more information:
http://www.tn.gov/environment/tn_consv/archive/elkmont.pdf

Blue Jay
02-28-2011, 17:09
I can't remember the name, but the first one north of Pearisburg is the best one I've seen.

v5planet
02-28-2011, 17:50
The most intense fireflies I saw on the AT were in the stretch of trail between the Shenandoahs and Harper's Ferry. Last week of June, or so.

Buffalo Skipper
02-28-2011, 18:07
katzby,
I looked up a couple of articles about this and found this:
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/silence/archives/2006/06/elkmont_synchro.shtml
It suggests (as I recalled and posted earlier) that this does occur elsewhere in the Smokies at the 2200' level. I checked out some other campsites, and Campsite 32, just west of Greenbriar is at 2280' which is just about right, and only about 9.6 miles from Elkmont, as the crow flies.

I am speculating here but that is relatively close and may be a place to view these fireflies. Remember, what makes this event so very special is that the adult life span of these fireflies (beetles) is only 3 weeks, so the peak mating time is only 7-10 days--a very narrow window! If you could follow the NPS dates for viewing (check the trolly service schedule from the Sugarlands), it may be possible to extrapalate when they would be elsewhere, and as campsites go, Campsite 32 may be just right.

I may have to try this one year, in fact. ;)

Bianchi Veloce
03-01-2011, 23:53
Last, late May, stayed at Campsite 48 on the BMT through the GSMNP and had an incredible show from the fireflies. Thousands of tiny little lights floating and drifting around the campsite. An amazing display.

catzby
03-02-2011, 16:37
Thanks guys for the info...everyone's been very helpful. I'll let you know how it goes in June. IM SO EXCITED! :)

ken209
03-02-2011, 17:48
Thanks guys for the info...everyone's been very helpful. I'll let you know how it goes in June. IM SO EXCITED! :)
I have seen them at kephart shelter.

HeartFire
03-02-2011, 18:10
The field in front of Ten Mile River lean to has some of the best firefly shows I've ever seen.
I have to agree with this, it was better than a laser light show.

HeartFire
03-02-2011, 18:14
Catzby,
If you are going to be in the park mid June, it's also Flame Azalea time. The best time is around Fathers day up on Gregory Bald. It's about a 4 mile hike up and then 4 back down to the road.

catzby
03-12-2011, 17:55
Thanks..for the info will make a note and try to work it in for sure. :)

JEBjr
03-12-2011, 19:33
The cow pasture or field just before you enter the woods on the way to Davis Path Tent Site, the shelter was recently removed. I have never seen so many lightning bugs in my life. Is was like a fireworks show. Not more than a 2 mile walk from Adkins.