PDA

View Full Version : Do These Attract Bears?

sixguns01
02-27-2011, 17:32
Do these have scents that may attract bears?

Advil/Alleve

Neosporin

Tobacco (cigarettes/chewing)

I know food/deodorant/toothpaste should be bagged at night but how about the items above?

Helios
02-27-2011, 17:38
No.

The oddest thing I've heard of attracting an animal: a hiker used cherry chapstick and woke up with a mouse biting his lip in a shelter.

Phreak
02-27-2011, 17:59
The neosporin will definitely attract critters. Not sure on the meds or tobacco products.

Joshuatree
02-27-2011, 19:02
I would hang them all, the neo and asprin I have in the same little medical bag which I throw in the bear bag. I also throw my tobacco in the bear bag except for a the couple I'll use before bed its just easier not to chance it. Chew has a sweet smell and if its flavored I would really suggest not spitting in or near campsites. I've had bears walk into camp on me and learned its better to be safe and hang anything that might smell even if it smells bad to us.

Manwich
02-27-2011, 19:48
If you've got a hiking pole, just shove it into the ground and hang it on that. Away from shelters or established campsites, you're not gonna get mice. But none of that throwing a rope over a treebranch and hanging a bag crap.

thelowend
02-27-2011, 20:28
If you've got a hiking pole, just shove it into the ground and hang it on that. Away from shelters or established campsites, you're not gonna get mice. But none of that throwing a rope over a treebranch and hanging a bag crap.

You've obviously never woken up to chewed deoderant/food/any other smelly items... First time I ever backpacked with boy scouts, we hung the bear bag and I still woke up with my old spice bitten into like a candy bar.. just glad they didn't get the bag my food was in.. other scouts though, not so lucky.

Amanita
02-27-2011, 20:42
Some over the counter medications have a sugar or flavored coating, which I assume would attract animals.

Does anyone know if animals are attracted to lavender scent? I have some biodegradable soap and other "natural" products in this scent.

Manwich
02-27-2011, 21:24
You've obviously never woken up to chewed deoderant/food/any other smelly items... First time I ever backpacked with boy scouts, we hung the bear bag and I still woke up with my old spice bitten into like a candy bar.. just glad they didn't get the bag my food was in.. other scouts though, not so lucky.

i keep my food in my hammock or under it. nothing comes near me when I sleep, so right you are, nobody bites my old spice...

Does anyone know if animals are attracted to lavender scent? I have some biodegradable soap and other "natural" products in this scent.

Actually, cats hate lavender (or is it lilac?) so you don't have to worry about them lions.

JP
02-27-2011, 22:52
Back in 72 ( in the Smokies, on the AT) I had a bear walk up behind me and take the cook pot off the fire. I hang everything that smells.

Fiddleback
03-01-2011, 10:44
No.

The oddest thing I've heard of attracting an animal: a hiker used cherry chapstick and woke up with a mouse biting his lip in a shelter.

We cannot know what does and does not attract a bear. Yet attractants (pleasant odor, taste, etc.) are only part of the issue.

Bears are curious. They may or may not visit camp, not because a scent makes their mouth water, but simply to checkout 'stuff' (that's a technical term used in animal behavior field studies ;)). So beyond trying to keep attractants to a minimum, i.e., avoid bringing a bear to camp, one should also keep curios to a minimum, i.e., keep the campsite free of 'stuff' that would prolong a bear's visit.

Each camper has to decide what practices make his/her camp safe for the camper, the bears and other wildlife and, ultimately, other campers. Actions should be based on conditions found in the area; the existence of bears and their density, past troubles or poor practices at the campsite, 'sure-to-please' foods brought to camp (e.g., bacon, dried salmon, honey-scented shampoo (:rolleyes:) ), time of year/natural foraging conditions, clean camp, etc. The black bears of the AT region require caution but not paranoia, their larger cousins in the Northern Rockies are a bit more problematical. One does what one feels comfortable in doing. Just remember that personal actions impact the bear(s) and future campers. Our own recreation does not justify causing harm to wildlife or other recreationists. And there are some pretty severe 'management' techniques for 'trouble' bears...who became so because of 'our' bad practices.

I use to post that one calming feature to human-bear interaction concerns was an old anthropological theory that Man did not survive the powerful predators because he was fleet or cunning; he survived because he didn't taste good. Recently I read that humans also are the most pungent of animals...sort of a built in repellant, perhaps.

Unless the bear is curious.:D

FB

LoneRidgeRunner
03-01-2011, 10:57
I have a friend who is a ranger in GSMNP. Don't know if she was pulling my leg or not, but she said never go into the woods smelling all "pretty" (guess that's a female Cherokee Indian's way of saying we should stink or at least not smell good) She said especially no musk deodorant. Said a bear may think you're an old rotten log and come to you to dig for ants....LOL..
Like I said, she may have been joking, but she's been a ranger there for a long time.
I guess if we just smell "human" the bears will come nearer to fearing us and leave us alone.
About the guy who said "none of that throwing a rope over a branch...crap...." Pay NO attention to that. It's people like him who cause the problem bears to begin with.
Hang it on a hiking pole? Get real. How many bears couldn't reach it there? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

halftime
03-01-2011, 11:05
[QUOTE=Manwich;1121181]i keep my food in my hammock QUOTE]

So you are the bear bag:D.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2011, 11:20
I have a friend who is a ranger in GSMNP. Don't know if she was pulling my leg or not, but she said never go into the woods smelling all "pretty" (guess that's a female Cherokee Indian's way of saying we should stink or at least not smell good) She said especially no musk deodorant. Said a bear may think you're an old rotten log and come to you to dig for ants....LOL..
Like I said, she may have been joking, but she's been a ranger there for a long time.
I guess if we just smell "human" the bears will come nearer to fearing us and leave us alone.
About the guy who said "none of that throwing a rope over a branch...crap...." Pay NO attention to that. It's people like him who cause the problem bears to begin with.
Hang it on a hiking pole? Get real. How many bears couldn't reach it there? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

she wasn't kidding.

Jim Adams
03-01-2011, 22:25
As Fiddleback stated, bears are curious...it doesn't have to smell like food or even smell good, they will seek it out to see if it is food. Either hang it or sleep with it...both schools of thought on WB but if you just leave it lay around...it will attract SOMETHING!

geek

JP
03-01-2011, 23:00
Hope we are not giving you more than you wanted. Theres no need to be afraid of bears, just mind your maners. I have had bears come close enough to pet 3 times while I was eating. once on the AT, twice in the Rockies. All 3 times I was eating a very spicy meat that I am sure had a strong smell.
another time I was sleeping and had a bear sniffing around my tent, I woke up when I felt the nose on my back. So I hang anything that smells, wash up before I go to sleep, and hang my cloths if I spill food on them. I also cook and eat away from where I sleep.

Blissful
03-01-2011, 23:05
The only time I'll worry about a bear issue is the JMT this summer. The AT? I have only seen one on each hike and it was minding its own business

I'm kind of amazed how much the bear question comes up here with the AT. You'll know if a certain area has a bear issue (like in GA last summer). Other than that, don't worry about it. I mean there were warnings galore in NJ. I saw one tiny fellar on the trail and he skedaddled. That was it for four months of trail walking. Incld the dreaded "Smokies"