PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive hiking shoe?

keepinitsimple
02-27-2011, 21:18
I am going to try to break into the world of the hiking shoe for non-winter hikes. I have always hiked in a pair of good boots. Most of my hiking is on the AT in PA- very rocky. I regularly lead school groups of urban kids in beat up sneakers and they love it. And we all know the stories of grandma in her tennis shoes. Anyhow, does anybody have experience with a particular sneaker, trail shoe etc that really worked well, but did not break the bank?

aaronthebugbuffet
02-27-2011, 21:23
I go to the discount shoe store and buy whatever trail runner or running shoe that is on sale, fits and feels good.
Most often New Balance because I like the wide size.

seminoles
02-27-2011, 21:37
I have had many trail shoes in many different brands...I just purchased a pair of New Balance 806's from Cabelas for 69.95 and It is the best hiking shoe I have put on these feet. Can't wait for March 12th to hit the AT again.

wornoutboots
02-27-2011, 21:49
I was at Meiers today and they have New Balance trail runners on sale for $50.00

sbhikes
02-27-2011, 22:01
I think the best New Balance shoes I ever wore hiking were a pair of $39 406 or something like that. Really cheap. The more expensive ones I tried sucked. I didn't like them at all.

In my opinion, shoes are not the best place to economize. After all, the sport involves your feet more than anything. At the same time, not always does price equate to the best shoes for your feet, so it's one of those places where maybe economizing will work for you and maybe it won't.

thelowend
02-27-2011, 22:42
I've heard very good stories about NB mt100's and 101's. THey have a rock plate in them, have a very low profile and aren't super expensive.. I think they are around $60. I am looking into some of the new NB minimus's (minimi?) for trail running and will also give them a hiking test run on the rockiest path I can find here around Atlanta so I will report back with a review for both uses once I get them. If those don't work, I am going to look into some of the Innov8 trail runners with little to zero drop in them, as I savor ground feel and hate having a skinny toe box.. I just wish I could hike barefoot all the time but unfortunately, my experience with packing barefooted left my feet in shreds (it was either feet in shreds or covered in blisters so I chose shreds.. long, interesting story.. pm if you care enough to hear).

aaronthebugbuffet
02-27-2011, 23:03
I've heard very good stories about NB mt100's and 101's. THey have a rock plate in them, have a very low profile and aren't super expensive.. I think they are around $60. I am looking into some of the new NB minimus's (minimi?) for trail running and will also give them a hiking test run on the rockiest path I can find here around Atlanta so I will report back with a review for both uses once I get them. If those don't work, I am going to look into some of the Innov8 trail runners with little to zero drop in them, as I savor ground feel and hate having a skinny toe box.. I just wish I could hike barefoot all the time but unfortunately, my experience with packing barefooted left my feet in shreds (it was either feet in shreds or covered in blisters so I chose shreds.. long, interesting story.. pm if you care enough to hear).
Does Inov8 make larger toe boxes? All the ones Ive tried on are tight and skinny.

thelowend
02-27-2011, 23:33
Guess not =p I just was reading up on the Merrell minimalist shoe and it looks very appealing (though expensive... ugh). I am going to try a pair next weekend and also try out the NB miminus trail.

thelowend
02-27-2011, 23:34
(you would think a shoe with little to no drop would include the obviously necessary wider toe box.. but I guess not..)

keepinitsimple
02-28-2011, 21:25
Thanks for the suggs. And thanks for reminding me not to go cheap on the feet! Kinda like a bed- I spend a fair amount of time in it. Funny, some of the New Balance models mentioned I have currently or have had. But you know- going into the discount store and buying the best fitting on sale is a good plan too.This white blaze thing is very cool. Glas I found it.