PDA

View Full Version : alcohol on the trail

saimyoji
01-08-2005, 18:01
There've been several threads about alcohol, but I've never seen one about what responsible hikers who enjoy a drink at the end of the day bring. Beer is heavy and has been talked to death, what are some other things people bring? I once packed a bottle of port and a brick of cheese in a friend's pack...he humped it the entire way, but after a short profanity, he was damn happy about his birthday present. :)

I like a nice single malt on occaision.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 18:03
Jim Beam Black Label or some Maker's Mark. Mix it with just a touch of room temperature water to open up the flavor. Just one at night when relaxing in camp.

orangebug
01-08-2005, 19:01
Scotch, single malt, like Oban, MacCallan 12 year, or similar. I like to taste smoke after the long walk of a day, while the noodles settle.

Occasionally, I've been known to carry Jamison, but just not nearly as smooth.

DMA, 2000
01-08-2005, 19:10
I like to carry a little flask of something, or maybe a few minis. As with food, liquor tastes better in the out-of-doors after a hard day's hike. So I'll be quite happy with a bit of Turkey or Crow...I'll save the Laphroiag for a nice evening at home.

rickb
01-08-2005, 19:25
"Scotch, single malt, like Oban, MacCallan 12 year, or similar"

Not the same, but Dewars comes in a plastic bottle.

Seraphim
01-08-2005, 19:53
JACK DANIELS! :banana

weary
01-08-2005, 20:31
JACK DANIELS! :banana
Well, it's okay but I prefer 100 proof JW Dant, both for taste and weight.
Weary

Hammock Hanger
01-08-2005, 20:37
I am not a big drinker at home or on the trail. I did carry a little peppermint schnapps that was sent to me by a friend that tasted great in hot cocoa.

Sue/HH

SalParadise
01-08-2005, 22:15
Airplane-bottle whiskey was a great treat when you're 30 miles between towns. But it's funny, when I was hiking I always had a much bigger craving for orange juice once I got to town than alcohol.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 22:17
I would agree in town. Seems like drinking in town gives you one more reason to get stuck in a town. I would rather sit by a nice fire near a creek and sip a little adult beverage than spend a wild night hammering my brain cells in town.

TDale
01-08-2005, 22:41
Nothin' bad about a margarita at the end of a warm hikin' day.

rainmaker
01-08-2005, 22:43
There's nothing quite like a wee drink of Courvoisier VSOP to end the day. Of course if that not available , single malt will do.

screwysquirrel
01-09-2005, 01:46
Nothing will brace you up like a minature of whiskey (JD or Jim Beam) on after a cold snowy hike, especially when you're in your tent relaxing.

DMA, 2000
01-09-2005, 05:33
Good point Sal. On hot days, I was prone to long detailed fantasies about luxuriant baths in frigid grapefruit juice.

Ramble~On
01-09-2005, 07:13
I like this thread already.

I like to eat well on short 2-3 day hikes and to me that means wine with dinner.

After dinner.....it is no longer time for wine.

So break out the Moonshine :sun

Tin Man
01-09-2005, 09:51
My brother and I do 5 days/50 miles each fall. We care 2 liters of Johnnie Walker Red, a bottle of Cabernet for steak nite, and a few airplane bottles of after dinner drinks along with a cigar. The scotch and cab have their own nalgene space. We don't get smashed, we just need to celebrate the days' hike. Bro got the trail name Bartender when he shared around the campsite.

weary
01-09-2005, 09:57
Nothin' bad about a margarita at the end of a warm hikin' day.
Or some 180 proof grain spirits diluted with Tang.

grrickar
01-09-2005, 15:21
Drinking spirits on the trail is evil.....

unless you brought enough to share ;)

rocket04
01-09-2005, 16:23
I enjoyed some Grand Marnier at Vandeventer Shelter (spelling?), the one with the nice view 30 miles before Damascus. I arrived there to find out that it was a hell of a hike down to get water. There was another hiker there who was cramping up and I offered to get water for him. Some Grand Marnier was my reward.

peter_pan
01-09-2005, 16:43
An ounce of great scotch per day is part of the ration... so is an ounce bag of natchos or chips to go with it.

TDale
01-09-2005, 17:40
Or some 180 proof grain spirits diluted with Tang.
OK, your margarita is lighter than mine.

I, however, have some standards.;) I premix my tekiila and triple sec in a small water bottle, carry Holland House margarita mix single serve packs, and add cold branch water to taste. Pretty darn good 'rita for a few extra ounces.

:D

Tractor
01-09-2005, 18:13
Tdale. Will have to try your 'rita mixin's. Sounds interesting. I have carried some tequila (and a lemon and/or lime) before. The thought of moonshine never crossed my mind, but, it does always taste best when chased with cold spring water...... now i've got Jimmy Buffett's "God's Own Drunk" running in my head...

SGT Rock
01-09-2005, 18:37
An ounce of great scotch per day is part of the ration... so is an ounce bag of natchos or chips to go with it.

Three ounces a night is my planning strategy for bourbon

TDale
01-09-2005, 19:30
Tractor,

"Now I wadn't, uh, knee-crawlin', slip-slidin', reggy-youngin', commode-huggin' drunk, I was God's own drunk, and a fearless man; And that's when I first saw the bear.

He was a Kodiak lookin' fella 'bout 19 feet tall he rambled up over the hill 'spectin' me to do one of two things: flip or fly, I didn't do either one. It hung him up. He starts sniffin' 'round my body tryin' to smell fear, but he ain't gonna smell no fear, 'cause I'm God's own drunk and a fearless man. It hung him up. He looked me right in my eyes and my eyes was a lot redder than his was. It hung him up."

The live version is ten times funnier.

SGT Rock
01-09-2005, 21:58
Yes it is.

papa john
01-09-2005, 22:30
I remember a cold rainy night at a packed Hawk Mtn shelter when Blister Sister broke out her Southern Comfort!.. It was very comforting!

PJ

TDale
01-09-2005, 22:58
and I paraphrase from memory:

"And I said SIR!. Y'know, that real respectful sir you use when you just got pulled over by the state patrol, with 19 smushed out joints in the ashtray, an empty vial on the seat, and a few cases of Bud in the back seat. Sir, please don't take me in 'cause my old lady will kick my [bad word]"

Bloodroot
01-09-2005, 23:10
I'm an ultralite drinker. I like to take a ride on some white lightning on occasion. More bang using less weight! ;)

Mags
01-10-2005, 01:23
There've been several threads about alcohol, but I've never seen one about what responsible hikers who enjoy a drink at the end of the day bring. I've been known to pack in wine on many occassions. Two of my closest friends in town have their birthday within a few days of each other. We celebrated their birthday in 2003 by backpacking up Longs Peak. Next to Pikes Peak, it is the most famous 14er in Colorado.

It is a longish day hike (5000' elev gain, 15 miles R/T with some scrambling at 13000' to the end on the most popular route), but a pretty mellow backpack.

Anyway, I packed in a whole chocolate cake, candles, and a bottle of red wine. Alas, we did not summit the following day..their was near white out conditions at 13500' or so (in August!).

Pic of wine at 12000' elev (and one goofy looking dude :) :
http://gallery.backcountry.net/Co03/aga

saimyoji
01-11-2005, 00:55
...can be dangerous. Especially if you've not had time to acclimate (like in an airplane). But on a hike I guess you'd have no problems with that.

Does anyone use spirits in cooking, for flavor? I've got an old recipe from my great-grandfather using kentucky bourbon in campfire beans.

Anyone else got any interesting camp recipes that use adult beverages?

jlb2012
01-11-2005, 10:46
God's Own Drunk Lyrics
(by Jimmy Buffett)

God's Own Drunk
By: Lord Buckley
"Well, like I explained to y'all before I ain't no drinkin' man. I tried it once, and it got me highly irregular and I swore I'd never do it again. But I promised my brother-in-law that I'd go up and watch his still while he went into town to vote.

It was up there on the mountain where the map said it would be. Friends let me tell you one thing though, it wadn't no ordinary still. It stood up that mountainside like... like a huge golden opal.

God's yellar moon was a' shinin' on the cool clear evenin', God's little lanterns just a' twinklin' on and off in the heavens and, like I explained to you once before, I ain't no drinkin' man, But, temptation got the best of me, and I took a slash... (wshew!... woah...) That yellar whiskey runnin' down my throat like honeydew vine water, and I took another slash. Took another and another and another. 'fore you knew it I'd downed one whole jug o' that **** and commenced to get hot flashes.

Goosepimples was runnin' up and down my body and a feelin' came over me like, somethin' I'd never experienced before, It's like, like I was in love,

("why don't we have a little love Mike [Utley]")

In love for the first time, with anything that moved... animate, in-animate it didn't matter. It's like there's a great neon sign flashin' on and off in my brain sayin, "Jimmy Buffett there' a great day a comin'..." 'Cause I was drunk.

Now I wadn't, uh, knee-crawlin', slip-slidin', reggy-youngin', commode-huggin' drunk, I was God's own drunk, and a fearless man; And that's when I first saw the bear.

He was a Kodiak lookin' fella 'bout 19 feet tall he rambled up over the hill 'spectin' me to do one of two things: flip or fly, I didn't do either one. It hung him up. He starts sniffin' 'round my body tryin' to smell fear, but he ain't gonna smell no fear, 'cause I'm God's own drunk and a fearless man. It hung him up. He looked me right in my eyes and my eyes was a lot redder than his was. It hung him up.

So I approached him and I said, "Mr. Bear, I love every hair on your 27 acre body. I know you got a lotta friends over there on the other side of the hill. There's ole' Rear Bear, Tall Bear, Freddy Bear, Kelly Jair, Relly Bear, Smelly the Bear, Smokey the Bear, Pokey the Bear; I want you to go back over there tonight and tell 'em I'm feelin' right. You tell 'em I love each and every one of 'em like a brother and a sister; but if they give me any trouble tonight, I'm gonna run every Goddamned one of 'em off the hill."

He took two steps backwards and didn't know what to think. Neither did I, but, being charitable and cautious, well hell, I approached him again. I said, "Mr. Bear, you know in the eyes of the Lord, we're both beasts when it comes right down to it. So I want you to be my buddy, 'Buddy Bear.'" So I took ole' Buddy Bear by his island sized paw and I led him over to the still. Now he's a' sniffin' around that thing 'cause he's smellin' somethin' good. I gave him one of them jugs of honeydew vine water, he downed it upright, (looked like one of them damn bears in the circus sippin' sasparilly in the moonlight.) I gave him another and another and another 'fore I knew it, he'd downed eight of 'em and commenced to do the "bear dance." Two sniffs, a snort, a fly, a turn and a grunt; and it was so simple like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me.

And we worked ourselves into a tumultuous uproar and I's awful tired, went over to the hillside, and I laid down, went to sleep, slept for four hours, and dreamt me some tremulous dreams And when I woke up, Oh, there was God's yellar moon a' shinin' on the clear cool evenin'. And God's little lanterns just a' twinklin' on and off in the heavens, And my buddy the bear was a' missin'... yeah, you want to know somethin' else friends and neighbors, so was that still.

-- Spoken:
"That's a take. Wait, could uh.....you missed it?"

Mags
01-11-2005, 12:56
...can be dangerous. Especially if you've not had time to acclimate (like in an airplane). But on a hike I guess you'd have no problems with that.

Well, I live at 5500' and play in excess of 10k feet plus on most weekends. So a little vino is not problem for me.

Does anyone use spirits in cooking, for flavor?

Not so much spirits, but I often cook w/ beer. Beer gives a nice rich flavor to many meats when simmering. Guinness stew is esp. yummy! I made a vegetarian "Sherpa Stew" recently ; simmered the tempeh in a light brown ale. Went quite well with the curry flavoring of the stew itself.

You can also make vodka sauce for pasta. Pick your recipe of choice.

Stews and sauces dehydrate quite nicely for backpacking. If you are patient (or can make a nice cooking campfire), stews can be made fairly easily in the backcountry.

I love to cook almost as much as I love the outdoors!

Alligator
01-11-2005, 13:40
Let's see, wine the first night out on a long trip. Shiraz is a favorite.

Generally, Jameson's Irish Whiskey. A hot cider before dinner with a splash or two of whiskey is a nice start. Occasionally Scotch (Chivas or Glenfidditch), usually a gift from one of my brothers . I prefer the Jameson's. My brother gave me an 18 year old bottle that was superb Orangebug.

In the winter, repasado or anejo tequila. I find these very good chilled.

I find 200ml's to be a good daily estimate. My flask holds 500 mls. It's always kind to have some to share.

I really like the schnapps in hot chocolate example, will try!

If you have any friends or family that go on cruises, quality liquor comes very cheap in the duty free shops.

Newb
01-11-2005, 16:37
I'm gonna pack a STILL for a thru hike. I'll keep different mashes fermenting in baggies in my pack and set up every night in camp to make a gallon of the fresh stuff. Don't think it's possible?

Look at the bottom of this page at their 1 1/2 gallon model :banana

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id1.html

I'll be a legend.

highway
01-11-2005, 17:05
Hey, if you do, you want lack for friends.

I do like a few pulls of Absolute in the evening. I carry it in another Platypus and always keep my cooking denatured in a RED container so I want mistake the two. I'd hate to wake up blind someplace. Maybe I should switch to bourbon, too, like Wild Turkey, which is not bad, either.

But, darnit, it only lasts the first few days, anyway, unless I happen upon a liquor store somewhere. Whats with those "dry" counties, anyway?

Tractor
01-12-2005, 22:28
HOI, Thanks for posting the whole thang'! I bet most folks only heard of Come Monday, Margaritaville & Cheeseburger. Made my day! You guys & gals are great. Thought only those Swiss dogs carried on the trail.......

"moonshine with color has no place on this earth other than as a firestarter"

"clear is dear"

Jeremy
01-21-2005, 15:52
Once, on a section hike between damascus, VA, and erwin, TN, I met a blue-blazer named bishop. He had purchased some moonshine a little ways up the trail. One night we drank it straight, and it sure did give us a kick. The next few nights, he had put some dehydrated apples and papaya in it, and it turned kind of a firey orange color, and tasted delicious. I would strongly suggest this to anyone who likes 'shine.:D

GolfHiker
01-21-2005, 20:39
I gotta say, a little bourbon with your hot chocolate does the job. Just last week I was slightly chilled after a day of hiking in cold & snow, and a little George Dickle hit the spot!:banana

Happy
01-25-2005, 22:58
Single malt scotch and trickle of cold spring water!

smokymtnsteve
01-25-2005, 23:10
Three ounces a night is my planning strategy for bourbon

wow man 3 OZs...that's my ration for 3 months.

Ever thought about lightening up?

RenaissanceMan98
01-26-2005, 00:21
I tried a week-long hike once where I took about 8 ounces of a high octane everclear (it's different proof in different states) and used it as stove fuel that did double duty. Of course I ran into two problems:

1. Tasted like crap when mixed with gatorade powder, lol

2. In spite of problem 1, most of it never made it to the stove.

So far i have not been able to cook effectively with Brandy.
:banana

J.D.
01-26-2005, 09:21
My fav snake bite medicine has always been Jack. More BTU's (Buzz Time Units) per ounce of weight carried combined with a great ability to "simmer" things. Much like the soda can stoves!

Ya' know... Now that I think about it, Jack really does work as a snake bite medicine. Carrying a bit all of these years and I have never been snake bit!

J.D.

Tim Rich
01-26-2005, 11:20
If you're looking to save weight and everclear's not your thing, Bacardi 151 mixes well with tang and gatorade.

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 11:56
Well really there is something that would give more buzz per ounce, but unlike Steve, I ain't no hippy ;)

lightning
01-26-2005, 15:27
Apple Jack: hot apple cider with a big splash of Jack (for cold nites).
Lemon H2O Jack: cool spring h2o, lemon wedge, Jack (for any nite).
UltraJack: just Jack (for lite nites).
:jump

cakeman21k
01-26-2005, 15:47
A 2 or 4 oz flask (has to glass not plastic) with either some bushmills or Glenlivet on an overnight (4 oz flask if I am with freinds) A chilled bottle of lancers carried in an insulated water bottle cozy to share at lunch when I am on a day hike.

napster
01-26-2005, 23:15
In 2001 at the shelter before hotsprings no-bo i settled down with a feller via the trail name Goldiemoan, said he hiked ma-ga entirely without a h2o filter. he was a young gent and nice but oh my that nite when he slept he carried on as honeymooners where as later I come to figure he had got his trail name. Moan in his sleep and had taken a wrong trail thus the name goldie- lox - moan. I offered my J BEAN to the lad in hopes that it would sedate him so as I might get some sleep yet he was in no way to take any alochol. I in return double my toddy to sedate myself but learned that nite .Ear plugs over hang over any day.

Mountain Dew
01-26-2005, 23:45
I once thought I'd carry some extra weight by carrying a three liter Mountain bottle and once I got to camp I got so many "looks" from friends that i ended up giving 2.5 liters away in about 60 seconds. Atleast the next day my pack felt much much lighter. Goodtimes...

saimyoji
01-27-2005, 00:40
I recently went on an overnight jaunt on a warmer night (still near 0*) with some peppermint schnapps (100 proof). Very nice, warming. Still caught a cold, or rather... because of that I caught a cold. :datz

Lint
01-27-2005, 18:07
Old Crow bourbon! I got Maker's Mark sent to me in a few mail drops as well. Before I went into the 100 mile wilderness I picked up a handle of Canadian Mist and it almost lasted the whole way through. Luckily the Abol campstore sold Schlitz. I can't believe I walked all the way from Georgia and ended up drinking Schlitz on Katahdin...
I didn't run into many thru-hikers who carried booze, but plenty who were happy to share some of mine. If you really want to conserve liquor, you must learn the chilly willy. It makes your supply last much longer!

camich
01-27-2005, 18:45
I enjoy a margarita after a day of hiking. Up until now I've pre-mixed my Cuervo Gold, Triple-Sec and Jose Cuervo margarita mix in a 32oz Nalgene bottle. This year I'm going to try TDale's version...it'll be lighter (or maybe same weight, more tequilla). Thanks TDale!:banana

DLANOIE
03-05-2005, 18:54
nothing better than a huge spleef at the end of a miserable day on the trail.

helps to relax the muscles. besides, alcohol only thins the blood actually making you colder on the chiller eves.

TDale
03-05-2005, 22:50
camich, i'm a huge fan of margaritas. I'll be trying this this year:

http://www.bajabob.com/products.html

CynJ
09-17-2005, 11:24
A little Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry would be a nice thing to carry - adds a ton of flavor to cooking and is a nice sipping thing too

I was at the package store the other day and saw some wine packaged in smaller lightweight plastic bottles. I don't remember the brand - will have to investigate & report back.

Blackberry brandy is other good one - especially if you are getting a slight cold or cough.

Pacific Tortuga
09-17-2005, 15:20
A nip of what someone else has carried up the trail and to not be a freeloader, I'll buy a few rounds of that persons choice in town.

Kozmic Zian
09-17-2005, 23:20
Yea, Booze....

I think a lil' Pint plastic flask with a lil' Gran Mariner is just the ticket!;) But don't tell Wing Nut....he'll start preachin'. Hi Guys....

smokymtnsteve
09-18-2005, 00:08
hi..Kosmic :banana

TOW
09-18-2005, 10:13
well when i was a drinking man and living out there on the trail i enjoyed quite a few nights around a fire with moonshine and a good smokin herb..........

bfitz
09-18-2005, 15:57
Drink in town. An ounce of liquor will last you about 3 seconds, an ounce of good weed will last you about three weeks. If you must drink, find a fellow hiker who doesn't (like Mt. Dew, or "mello yello" as he is now known, for instance) and hide some booze deep in their pack right before leaving town...the worst that can happen is they are so angry that they drink it anyway, and that can be almost as fun as drinking it yourself.

saimyoji
09-18-2005, 21:25
Thats cruel

LIVESTRONG
09-18-2005, 22:46
vodka and tang is great...

fiddlehead
09-18-2005, 23:13
nothing better than a huge spleef at the end of a miserable day on the trail.
or the beginning of the day! or better yet, before every big climb!

smokymtnsteve
09-18-2005, 23:18
or the beginning of the day! or better yet, before every big climb!

YAH!!!!!!!

Ridge
09-18-2005, 23:46
Sent my husband a bottle when he made the 1/2 way point of his 94 thru-hike. Its very pricey but then a thru-hike (at least half of one) is worth it. He drinks Guinness and Heineken mostly but occasionally will hit the hard stuff.

Frick Frack
09-19-2005, 08:53
My brother-in-law, a buddy, and myself each take a different spirit on the trail to share...1 shot Jagermeister to celebrate camp arrival, 1 shot Wild Turkey Honey Liquor to complement dinner, and 1 shot Grand Marnier to pair with dark chocolate afterwards...perfect. Though for this next section we have talked about replacing one of our good ole stand bys for some real tequila,Herradura, Patron, El Tesoro, etc., it can't be beat! Occasional ice cold beers from trail angels/town visits are still our favorites.

mbroadhe
09-29-2005, 01:13
A shot of whiskey in my tea with one of those lemonade single serve packets, after dinner, and before bed is my personal choice.

IDriveB5
11-17-2005, 18:46
not a big drinker, but some maker's mark is a nice treat before jumping in the sleeping bag

JoeHiker
11-17-2005, 19:04
Red Red Wine...

Nean
11-17-2005, 20:24
a ship of sign does the trick, or so I'm told;)

Skidsteer
11-17-2005, 20:49
Red Red Wine...

Ditto, Ditto, Vino rojo in a plastic soda bottle; Or Tequila when I'm counting ounces. :D

Auntie Mame
11-17-2005, 23:41
We used to go to Roaring Brook at Baxter every Columbus day weekend, and bring the "snake bite kit", which was Yukon Jack and Rose's lime juice shaken over icey bits along the brook, and chugged while the dinner cooked. It was dark, really cold and late by the time we'd get up there, so the overall effect was marvelous. Found out that that drink is definitely an acquired taste, and not appealing at all unless you have those hemlock trees and lean-to's and the sound of rushing water in the background.
(Just a the teensiest bit of euphoric recall, huh?!)

PartnerShip
11-20-2005, 00:16
Definately need to figure out a lightweight way to have my nightly glass of
Red Red Wine
A flask or just an empty water bottle
what do you suggest, it seems the bottles as the Outfitters stores are so heavy and expensive and a water bottle should do just fine

Alligator
11-20-2005, 12:44
Red Red Wine
what do you suggest, it seems the bottles as the Outfitters stores are so heavy and expensive and a water bottle should do just fine
If it's just one glass nightly, I recommend a platypus. You can squeeze the air out and potentially reduce oxidation.

Skidsteer
11-20-2005, 19:36
Red Red Wine

I use an empty soda bottle on the theory that the cap gaskets are made of sterner stuff than ordinary water bottles. My sorta, kinda scientific trials( turning filled, capped bottles upside down on the kitchen table )have borne out my assumption. :-?

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 19:47
empty coke bottle

smokymtnsteve
11-20-2005, 20:05
empty coke bottle

U live in the smoky mtns now...PEPSI country ;)

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 20:10
Heck no, I was raised on Coke. My Granny from the mountains always had Coke growing up. Pepi is that new fangled newcomer.

smokymtnsteve
11-20-2005, 20:26
I'd like to teach the world to toke,
in perfect harmony,

I'd like to grow the world a joint,
and keep it company,

that's the song I sing,
and the way it should be,
what the world needs today,
IT'S THE REAL THING!

(sorry just sitting around here at 9 below and it poped into my head :datz

Amigi'sLastStand
06-03-2006, 23:23
This is my now empty bottle of 1979 Crown Royal. It will bring much joy on my F/F sobo next week.:banana :banana :banana :banana

( I hope the pic attached correctly. )

bfitz
06-05-2006, 14:05
in perfect harmony,

and keep it company,

that's the song I sing,
IT'S THE REAL THING!

(sorry just sitting around here at 9 below and it poped into my head :datz
Soothes all pains and itches. A great way to end a day of hiking. Or to begin one. Wake'n'bake!! Active ingredient fights cancer as well.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/21/1728_55298.htm

mrc237
06-05-2006, 14:49
I once hiked with a guy who carried a fly rod in a metal tube. He had no luck fishing and sent the rod home but kept the tube to fill with airline bottles. SlyMan turned me on to Black Russians at the end of the day. Calling it "Cocktail Time". Lately I've been enjoing Jameson with some Baily's.

mweinstone
06-05-2006, 16:38
i like to go without till i find a bar or a beer station but carrying it never pays. its better to wait till town. and drinking dosent work in the mountains any way due to dehydration all hangovers are doubled.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-05-2006, 16:39
I once hiked with a guy who carried a fly rod in a metal tube. He had no luck fishing and sent the rod home but kept the tube to fill with airline bottles. SlyMan turned me on to Black Russians at the end of the day. Calling it "Cocktail Time". Lately I've been enjoing Jameson with some Baily's.
That is my favorite mixed drink. I'm a a beer guy in regular life, but its hard to carry 30 Coors Lights, regardless of the name.;)

Spock
06-05-2006, 16:54
What a bunch of conny-sewers. I carry Everclear. Cut it with crik water, add a pinch of brown sugar, waive it over the fire and you got a fine smoky scotch. Grape coolaid with a dash of Everclear has that new wine bravado, flirty and not intimidating. Blow real hard into the Platypus and squeeze it for a few minutes and you have an enthusiastic sparking wine. Cut it to 6% and pee in it, and it's beer. What more can you ask for?

lug nut
06-06-2006, 09:50
pour red wine onto tray, put tray into dehydrator, dehydrate wine, grind to powder, take backpacking, add water, stir, drink. Wallaaa. BRILLIANT!

weary
06-06-2006, 10:16
pour red wine onto tray, put tray into dehydrator, dehydrate wine, grind to powder, take backpacking, add water, stir, drink. Wallaaa. BRILLIANT!
And no hangover -- ever. Me, however, will take some 180 proof grain alcohol with a bit of Tang, if I'm traveling light. Otherwise some 101 proof bourbon.

Weary

fivefour
06-06-2006, 11:25
i bought a pint of everclear for the trail and have yet to take it. i am a little intimidated. someone else mentioned bacardi 151 in another thread tho ... now that sounds like something i could handle.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-06-2006, 15:40
i bought a pint of everclear for the trail and have yet to take it. i am a little intimidated. someone else mentioned bacardi 151 in another thread tho ... now that sounds like something i could handle.
This might just be me, but bacardi 151 gives me a hangover like nothing else. I think its the rum's high sugar content mixed with a little dehydration and the alcohol content. I cant hike let alone walk the next day. Everclear and Tang is the way to go if you need to save the weight.

fivefour
06-06-2006, 16:56
you would definitely have to take it easy. hiking with a hangover is NO fun. i learned that one the hard way.

rswanson
06-13-2006, 18:10
My wife and I hiked the Grand Canyon recently, down the South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel campground which is adjacent to Phantom Ranch, where all the mule trains and river runners put in for their overnights in that area of the canyon bottom. We holed up in the ranch's cantina for a few hours to escape the heat (air conditioning at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!) and sat at a table enjoying a lemonade. A group of three brothers sits down at our table and they proceed to pound Tecates and Budwisers. They were each 3 beers into it by the time we left, with another round on the way. Since they were tying one on in such exuberant fashion I just assumed that they were mule riders. Besides, they didn't have packs and were wearing jeans so they sure didn't look like hikers.

Well, the next day they catch up to us at the halfway point out of the canyon. They're looking a little rough. I turn to my wife and tell her how I just assumed they were with the mule trains. She tells me that yesterday they mentioned they were hiking the trail as well. I couldn't believe it! Hiking 10 miles out of the Grand Canyon in 110 degree heat with a hangover and the accompanying dehydration! Suffice to say we weren't surprised when we ran into one of the brothers later, at the trailhead, desperately searching for assistance for his brother who was near collapse a few miles below the rim. He did live to tell the tail but I bet he's all the wiser now.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 19:27
I'll drink to that. What a story.

SawnieRobertson
06-13-2006, 19:47
A very smooth end to a great day on the trail includes a hot cup of cocoa spiked with some rum and perhaps a pinch of cinnamon.

--Kinnickinic

bfitz
06-13-2006, 22:07
A very smooth end to a great day on the trail includes a hot cup of cocoa spiked with some rum and perhaps a pinch of cinnamon.

--Kinnickinic
Or with peppermint schnapps! (when it's cold...)

Frosty
06-14-2006, 00:21
in perfect harmony,

and keep it company,

that's the song I sing,
IT'S THE REAL THING!Drugs rot your brain.

Personally, I don't do either alcohol or drugs, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

bfitz
06-14-2006, 01:58
Drugs rot your brain.

Personally, I don't do either alcohol or drugs, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
You haven't tried the right drugs...anyway that song was about herbs not drugs.