PDA

View Full Version : Childrens book on the AT

Lumberpat73
02-27-2011, 23:29
Does anyone know of any good children books about hiking the Appalachian Trail. I work at a daycare right now and would like to buy a book the kids can read about the trail. Something geared to Kindergardeners-2nd graders would probably be best.

I was thinking "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxenberg but I don't think any of them will take the time to read it.

scooterdogma
02-28-2011, 07:08
Call Smokey Mountain Diner in Hot Springs, NC. Ask for the owner, her trail name is "Biscuit". Ask her to mail you the school project book on the AT done by the elementary school. I think the cost of the book is ten bucks. A teacher at the school had the 4th grade class to write a book about the AT, as those kids live on the AT, so to speak. The book is done in a "alphabet" format, ex. T is for tent, trailname, etc.

I bought the hard back book for my nephew who is 5 and he loved it. The book is full of the kid's drawings and stories about the AT. It is extremely well done and get's the kids interested in hiking and the outdoors.

springerfever
02-28-2011, 08:19
Another one is 'ORIENT'. This was the dog's name that helped a blind hiker with a thru hike

alphaPig74
03-01-2011, 20:35
Pearson did a book about Taylor Witcher's hike with her family (her father Homer has shuttled me to a few hikes). To order the book, call Pearson Learning 1-800-321-3106 and ask for ISBN 0-7652-4924-3. The book is titled "Hiking the Appalachian Trail". Just read it with my 6 year old and he dug it.

Lumberpat73
03-01-2011, 20:56
Thanks everyone, I''ll definitely look into these ideas. If i can make one kid fall in love with the trail it'll be awesome.

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 21:12
If i can make one kid fall in love with the trail it'll be awesome.

Way to go! My third, or fifth (not quite sure anymore), grade teacher got me interested and planted the seed of the thru-hike...