PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Cloth Pot Stands

Capt Chaos
01-08-2005, 22:03
Do you all think that a Hardware Cloth Pot stand will last the whole trail? I have noticed when cooking with one that it turns bright red around the top. Is that bad?

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 22:06
Trail Yeti is still using the stove I made for him two years ago for his thru-hike.

Toolshed
01-08-2005, 22:48
I have only replaced one of my hardware mesh pot stands once and that was due to being crushed accidently. Otherwise my other original is still going strong after at least several hundred burns and about 4 years. Worst comes to worse you can always improv with 3-4 tent stakes.

Capt Chaos
01-08-2005, 23:08
Hey Rock. Are you back home yet? Give me a call tommarrow(Sunday) if you are. You know my cell number.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 23:13
Nope, I'm still in Mississippi. Looks like I'll probably miss that Ruck in Wesser.

Tha Wookie
01-09-2005, 01:00
Hey Capt.

Ditto what Toolshed said. I've used one for thousands of miles and many more other nights. That was until I stepped on it.

But guess what -the darn thing stretched back out like an accordian and I was still able to use it. It became one of those horribly ugly yet perfectly functional pieces of gear that would tend to shock weekenders and intrigue the comercially stove-burdened. But after a while, the red glowing got a little intense, and a couple cells of the cloth just kind of disappeared. Then it was island mama's turn to step on it one night. We still used the hideous crumpled thing without much of a hitch.

After the PCT, we decided we might just make a new one for the heck of it and replace it becuase frankly I was tired of telling the story.

Now I don't mind so much.

Capt Chaos
01-09-2005, 11:45
Thanks everybody. By the way Wookie, I think you deserve an Oscar nomination for your role in "How to Hike The Appalachian Trail.":D I just got done viewing it.

hungryhowie
01-09-2005, 12:04
I agree with what everyone else had already said. One will last a long time, but they do get kind of brittle after a while. I think all of that heating and cooling really does weaken it. That said, I'm still using the same one I made on my thru-hike in 2000...

-howie