PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Mnt.Shelter

hikingshoes
02-28-2011, 13:54
Just did this section (24-25Feb)from Max Patch to Hot Springs.Left Hot Springs with Mr.Bill Hocomb(shuttle Dr.)as we headed to Max Patch to be let out Mr.bill told use that Walnut Mnt.Shelter has no roof due to high wind,that chg.the plans for use now.We was planning on max patch to walnut mnt shelter,but we just hiked into roaring fork shelter and plan on hiking to Deer Park shelter,thats 14.8miles.I think thats alittle much for a new hiker and my first long section on the AT.Once we got to Deer Park shelter it was dark and only 3.2miles to Hot Springs,gf and i talked it over and we hiked on in to HS.Made it to HS at 9pm headed to a Hotel,food.shower,sleep!!!HS

SweetAss03
02-28-2011, 14:04
Some of my favorite hiking memories come from times when I have had to adapt and overcome unseen or unplanned for events.

Jeff
02-28-2011, 14:14
I saw the serious damage to Walnut Mtn shelter this winter....roof blown off. It's for real.

hikingshoes
02-28-2011, 15:02
I saw the serious damage to Walnut Mtn shelter this winter....roof blown off. It's for real.
OK,didnt know how long it was,just wanted to pass the info on.Thanks,HS

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 15:09
Didn't have a backup shelter??

johnnyblisters
02-28-2011, 16:23

That would be one hell of a wake up call!

Slo-go'en
02-28-2011, 16:32
Walnut Mt shelter is one the last original shelters left on the AT. It's been in pretty bad shape for a long time. Wonder if there will be any plans to replace it or just let it go by the by.

Brass Rat
03-05-2011, 00:42
Walnut Mt shelter is one the last original shelters left on the AT. It's been in pretty bad shape for a long time. Wonder if there will be any plans to replace it or just let it go by the by.

Sign posted on the shelter (today 3/4/11) says the local hiking club is studying how to replace the roof, and not to bother reporting it (i.e. they already know). Incidentally, much of the back wall is gone, too, which the sign didn't mention. The wind was blowing hard out of the South, right into the open front... easy to see how this might have happened.

HoneyBear
03-05-2011, 07:49
Thanks for the info. Did you happen to see if this was mentioned in the logbooks at Deer Park, Roaring Fork, and Groundhog Creek shelters? Or were there even logbooks? This is the type of info that hikers who are out there need to know.

Brass Rat
03-05-2011, 08:33
Thanks for the info. Did you happen to see if this was mentioned in the logbooks at Deer Park, Roaring Fork, and Groundhog Creek shelters? Or were there even logbooks? This is the type of info that hikers who are out there need to know.

Didn't stop at Groundhog Creek, there wer no signs at the other two. There was no logbook (!) at Roaring Fork, and I didn't examine the one at Deer Park.

curtisvowen
03-05-2011, 09:21
I've been passing this info on for the past 2 weeks to the NOBOs that stop in. Most of them go to Roaring Fork anyway. The trail grapevine is pretty strong.

hikingshoes
03-05-2011, 23:27

We stayed at Roaring Fork last wk.and it was good to go,you'll see the water sign right before you get to the shelter,flowing good at the time.

Grounghog Creek shelter-We just left this shelter fri.its a good shelter.Water to the right of the shelter(looking out from the shelter)marked by Eng.tape,it was flowing good.HS

SmokyMtn Hiker
03-09-2011, 22:13
I just the saw a photo of the shelter today on Flickr that was taken just days ago and yes it is for real, the roof and looked as if part of the rear wall was gone. I had plans on staying there on my section hike in May 2008 but there was a serious bear problem so I passed.

SmokyMtn Hiker
03-09-2011, 22:17
Here is the photo, I hope http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbsurf/5503745479/in/pool-908185@N20 my username on Flickr is greer82496 and I made the comment that I assume that they mistyped their description on their destination when turning around due to the fact they posted a photo of Roaring Fork shelter and it is intact.

Hikes in Rain
03-30-2011, 19:22
Anyone know if there's been an update on this old shelter?

Doctari
03-30-2011, 22:33
Seems to me that just the roof is gone, back wall is intact. The back wall is just a few feet high, the roof makes up much of what would be "Back wall".

This makes me sad, I liked that shelter. Spent a nice quiet night alone there a few years ago, my first time alone in a shelter. Well, I did have a very tiny tree rat* visit a few times PM & AM, but he didn't talk much.

*Most people call them "Squirrels" :)

hikingshoes
03-30-2011, 23:20
Anyone know if there's been an update on this old shelter?
I havent heard anything.HS

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 10:09
Just received word that the roof is back on the shelter as of last Friday. Bless the Carolina Mountain Club, and the fine work they do.

sherrill
04-20-2011, 11:03
Wow, I guess this shelter is apparently worth it. It's older than dirt. Roaring Fork has even been replaced before this one.

I had to laugh when I read this from Then The Hail Came. Remember, this is from 1983! (actually the year of my thru as well):

"I plodded the final wretched mile up Walnut Mountain to the shelter.

I almost snapped when I saw the place. Were the universe to receive an enema, Walnut Mountain Shelter is the exact spot where it would be administered. I knew before I arrived that the place had been built in 1938, but its forty-five years must have been very hard ones, because it looks ancient. The floorboards tilt in every conceivable direction and seem on the brink of collapse. Wind and rain are blasting in through numerous gaping holes in the walls, and the roof makes an excellent sieve. Home, sweet home."

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 11:08
Wow, those are very picturesque words! I now have a rather vivid image of the shelter in my mind. In a few weeks, I'll be able to see for myself how true that image is. (If all goes well.....)

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 12:15
Its not ALL that bad. Actually it has some charm to it.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/3/2/3/100_1649.jpg

Two Speed
04-20-2011, 12:58
If your idea of "charm" is an enema it's great!

The other one that pops to mind is the one on top of McQueen. Think it used to be part of a pig sty.

hikingshoes
04-20-2011, 13:25
Just received word that the roof is back on the shelter as of last Friday. Bless the Carolina Mountain Club, and the fine work they do.

Thanks for the update Hikes in Rain...HS

xyppee1
04-24-2011, 11:21
Great to hear the shelter is up and running. I plan to be there in a few weeks and had planned on using the area or the shelter...weather depending. Way to Go NC Hiking Club!