PDA

View Full Version : Training Regimen Study

wikea1
02-28-2011, 17:40
For an Appalachian Trail project: I know its not required to train, but for all you thru-hiker alumni that trained before and feel like that training made a difference, what was your training regimen and where did it make the most difference?

Manwich
02-28-2011, 17:42
There stands the possibility you injure yourself during training.

The real challenge is maintaining your physical health and mental health. Endurance comes next.

royalusa
02-28-2011, 17:52
We did as many 3-4 day backpacking trips as possible in the months leading up to our thru-hike. When hiking was not possible we did 7 mile walks in our hilly neighborhood. It made a difference on Day 1, as we did not find the Approach Trail difficult at all. We noted in our journal: "Compared to the tougher parts of our training hikes, this was more level, for longer stretches and any inclines or declines were very short-lived." We had pretty good general overall conditioning (gym rats) going into the hike. But we still started slow to try to reduce our risk of injury. Today we are in better shape as we are more active and would not start as slow. It's important to tailor your hiking miles on your early days in the hike to your physical conditioning to reduce injury risks.

Spirit Walker
02-28-2011, 18:38
I was walking 3-4 miles every day, with longer hikes every weekend. It helped.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2011, 19:03
For an Appalachian Trail project: I know its not required to train, but for all you thru-hiker alumni that trained before and feel like that training made a difference, what was your training regimen and where did it make the most difference?

a few miles of running every day a few months before the hike starts. never carried a pack til the hike actually started. no real training is needed

Blissful
02-28-2011, 20:03
I ran. Then walked. Now doing hikes also. Cross training is most effective for cardiovascular fitness. But the best training is simply getting out there and hiking day in and day out. You'll be a hiking machine in a few weeks.

fiddlehead
02-28-2011, 20:56
I jog.
Try to all the time but especially before a thru-hike.
Not always the same muscles but it sure helps to be in shape vs. not.

Once you get in shape on a thru-hike, i also jog to stay there.
I feel much better about everything in my life when I'm in shape.

Also, once or twice before a thru, i worked out on a step machine.
This is quite boring but really helps. Especially for a SOBO hike.

Yamagame
03-01-2011, 01:48
I do errands and walk around town with a weighted backpack to strengthen the back. The best part is that it doesn't take any extra time since I'm doing all the things I'd normally be doing, except with a weight on my back.

fredmugs
03-13-2011, 20:27
Haven't thru hiked but I ride an exercise bike before my section hikes.

You don't need to hike to prepare for hiking.