PDA

View Full Version : Jerkey

Mother Natures Son
02-28-2011, 18:35
Does anyone have a good Jerkey recipe for Turkey or Chicken Jerkey?

medicjimr
02-28-2011, 19:21
I just get pre made mixes Wyoming Best or Con Yeager you can do 1 to 20 lbs and found in Pa stores

Blissful
02-28-2011, 19:58
I'll have to ask my hubby where he got his for the chicken jerky he made me, its fabulous.

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:01
Does anyone have a good Jerkey recipe for Turkey or Chicken Jerkey?
I've never used it for chicken or turkey but it works great with beef and venison and duck. Its a jerky cannon by "LEM" you would have to use ground chicken or turkey. Makes great jerky.

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2011, 20:05
The making of Jerky at home is for love of doing something special, or for your own personal heath. Just like you wouldn't make pizza or mayonnaise at home from scratch, as there isn't a cost savings when factoring in your personal time. One has to jump into this with an awareness that this is a labor of love & knowledge.*1

Once you buy a dryer, WB members have identified Nesco as one of the best starter units out there. When you purchase the dryer it comes with a beginners book and Jerky cure. Now I was surprised by that because I did the impossible for a longer time on a Christmas Gift on a Ron Popeil piece of junk for many years. So at first I did not know what Jerky cure was for. Hey lets give cure a try... turns out its for the Turkey!

Cure is really NITRATES – often used in sausage and meats that spoil fast, and wine. A small amount and you avoid dangerous pathogens, a large amount and it will kill you.

I started with making jerky from Acme London Broil & top round. Never use Chuck! Ewwwww. So you will need to know or read up on cuts of meats. Turkey Jerky I found is easier from the whole bird, and is a ton of work.

So to best answer the question, you need to do some homework. You go to the store, buy a pound of ground turkey, the package must be like a balloon, sealed. If air escapes, you cannot buy the package.
Buy a cure or find a tablespoon cure sample. Open the pack add cure and mix with very clean hands.
Have a cookie or jerky pump handy and fill it. One fill = 1 tray.

160 degrees and Yes I use a power timer and shut off the machine in 5 hours. Over drying really is just as bad as underdrying.

Thats the short version..

Good luck.