PDA

View Full Version : Rod Hollow Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
09-04-2002, 19:00
I had the entire shelter to myself on a rainy night in October 2001. Rod Hollow is well maintained, with a second story loft that can probably accommodate 12+ hikers if needed. A separate, covered dining area with picnic table and fireplace is right outside the shelter. Here's a sketch from PATC: http://www.patc.net/images/shelters_rod_holl.gif

My only gripe was that the spring was dry, but I was able to catch enough rainwater off the roof to fill my water bottles. Supposedly there is a spring shower available also, but I didn't see it.

kncats
04-18-2004, 18:34
Last there July 2003. Above average shelter from my experience. Agree with above comments. We were there during a VERY wet summer, the trail getting to it from the AT was a quagmire. For that matter, the whole AT is the area was a mud pit. We did see the hiker's shower that is piped off of the spring, you'd have to be very short to even sit under it.

Mini-Mosey
04-19-2004, 06:36
I was there early last month while out on a 6-day, 5-night trip. I tented at the tent pad one night I was there; then, on my return trip, stayed in the shelter itself. Plenty of water available this time from all the previous precipitation. No problems with rodents in the shelter.

TOW
05-21-2005, 23:49
I was there the night of September 17, 2003 when Hurricane Isabel came roaring over. That's the night my life changed for ever. In fact my thinking has changed dramtically since then. Before that night I had doubts in a Creator. I don't no more. if you want to know what happened, then email me or send a private message and I'll tell ya....wanderer

jamarshall
04-30-2006, 21:33
Had the place to myself a few days ago. Trail now has some bog bridges in with more on the way from the looks of it. Picnic shelter is starting to lean a bit, but I was so happy to be off the rollercoaster that I didn't care. Got to listen to the whip-per-wills as it got dark and the turkeys when the sun came up. Very peaceful spot.

CitronellaMan
05-13-2007, 22:18
Stayed here spring 2006 over spring break. Great shelter before you start with the rollercoaster. Good water source and a pretty spot, along with an easy hike in made for one great night. Good separate picnic shelter and a trail shower, if I remember correctly. Once again, beautiful spot.

Marta
05-14-2007, 07:01
I stayed there last fall. I took a couple of pictures of it:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=196338

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=196340

Marta/Five-Leaf

Ashman
04-14-2008, 10:15
Stayed there this past Thursday night. Crossed a stream to get to it that had better water flow than the spring. The shelter part is well laid out. I was in a hammock but my hiking partners said no mice issues. The Kitchen area is demolished. The roof is on the ground and the cooking pit is trashed. That said a real good spot to stop.

Newb
02-02-2009, 11:47
I stopped for lunch at Rod Hollow yesterday, 1 February 2009. Shelter is in great shape, the second building's roof is still there on the ground. Spring was low, but plenty of water in creek.

Oh, I used the privvy, and some knucklehead had put soda cans and garbage in the pit. Yes, I looked.

Front Royal Mike
04-04-2011, 18:55
Stopped in for a quick look 4-2-11 , the picnic table roof has been repaired,shelter looks good as does the privy . The spring feeds two pipes that currently flow very well.A bear pole is present.No trash present

Joey C
04-04-2011, 19:01
I had lunch there back in August. There were 2 caretakers clearing weeds and cleaning the place up. They just took over as caretakers of the shelter and the trail in this area, and were very enthusiastic. I thanked them, and knew this area would be well looked after.

Plodderman
07-13-2011, 23:47
Just there a week ago. Looks like many repairs were done and the tent area was nice.

Doc Mike
09-08-2011, 12:58
I was at Rod hollow over the weekend and the spring was DRY. Water is available .4 miles north at a small stream just prior to entering the rollercoaster.

Blissful
09-08-2011, 14:20
I'd be surprised if it now, we've had 6 inches of rain in VA.

Doc Mike
09-08-2011, 15:49
Blissful I kinda agree but I was rained on both days prior to arrival and it was dry. so who knows.

Studlintsean
08-05-2012, 13:08
Stayed here Friday night. The spring is dry (non existent). Was able to pump water about 2 miles south from a stream. Be sure to fill up there if planning on staying here.

Scout-NOVA
06-10-2013, 22:11
Stayed there Saturday night on my first section hike. There was plenty of trash in the fire pit left by other hikers but it was all carried out the next morning by the ridge runner. The spring was flowing at a good rate.

daveoleary
07-23-2015, 13:27
Is there parking along Rt 649 where the side trail from the Rod Hollow shelter leads down to the road? Any problems with parking there overnight? Thanks.

Kaptainkriz
11-13-2016, 19:06
Stopped here for lunch after completing the Roller Coaster. Very well laid out shelter, tent area, and privy. The spring was completely dry. I was looking at that secondary long tube wondering what it was. Reading above, it sounds like the "shower" line. Clever idea. :)

Zig-Zag
11-21-2016, 13:39
in case anyone is thinking of stopping by - the creek in front of the shelter is still running and is a fine water source. The spring is dry, as mentioned above, but I didn't want someone to not go to this great shelter for fear of no water.