PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT marker

ky-at-hiker
01-08-2005, 23:31
I have heard there is another GA AT marker like the one at Springer somewhere on the trail. Ive looked for info on where it is located without any luck. Can anyone help me out?

screwysquirrel
01-09-2005, 00:08
Wasn't there one at Mt. Oglethorpe before they started the trail at Springer?

01-09-2005, 00:46
I have heard there is another GA AT marker like the one at Springer somewhere on the trail. Ive looked for info on where it is located without any luck. Can anyone help me out?

The link below shows one of the two plaques on Springer. This plaque is made and put at road crossings by the GATC. There is three total. One at Springer, second at Neels Gap and a third at Unicoi Gap.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5823

The other plaque is of the eastern seaboard with the AT marked. It is the "start" plaque

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3160/sort/1/cat/575/page/1

jlb2012
01-09-2005, 10:18
One thing that I found funny was the newer plaque (the one with the register under/behind it) is labeled both ways - the standard AT symbol "Maine to Georgia" and on the actual map "Georgia to Maine" - it was worth a chuckle when I first noticed it.

hacksaw
01-10-2005, 12:46
The marker at Mount Oglethorpe is neither plaque nor currently located on Mt. O., It is a 30 odd foot tall marble obelisk and since 1998 has been located on North Maine St. in beautiful downtown Jasper, Ga.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 12:50
The marker at Mount Oglethorpe is neither plaque nor currently located on Mt. O., It is a 30 odd foot tall marble obelisk and since 1998 has been located on North Maine St. in beautiful downtown Jasper, Ga.===========================================
Now there's an interesting piece of trail trivia ...thanks Hacksaw. Been to Jasper many times and probably drove right by that obelisk and never knew it was there or was aware of its significance.

'Slogger
AT 2003

tombone
01-10-2005, 20:35
hey hacksaw:

as i drove through 'downtown' jasper last week, i noticed some fancy construction on the point opposite where the mt. oglethorpe monument now stands. it looked like the makings of a small city park with a lot of that beautiful local marble stacked all around. What's it gonna be?

ps-my folks live in bent tree-it's always great to get down that way to visit!

fatmatt
01-11-2005, 01:09
I have a picture of the one at Unicoi Gap...Its not in my gallery however.

Askus3
01-11-2005, 06:10
Hacksaw: In your post it says the obelisk is located on North Maine Street. Was that a misspelling on your part or is there a historical reason and thus the "Maine" spelling of the street. By the way, is there a South Georgia Street in town?

Goon
01-11-2005, 15:18
By the way, is there a South Georgia Street in town?
There is a Georgianna Street. Close enough? :)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&location=P4vGhPiw%2bVqEq%2bK7fcFOCQmyGbO%2fvKb6AR5 JGu2FfAXTxXwZtxuS7YL8LwzPcqL9lwMyxle2C%2fI0JUTbw%2 b5czySV7HqS%2fI8m2jE8sM4Dbto6ZPtMA9S89eecA4idKMyn% 2bKXJP8%2fWTW0%3d