PDA

View Full Version : At Davenport Gap

jgiles3311
02-28-2011, 19:07
Made it through the smokies today. Had cold rain all day, drying out at davenport gap shelter. Not much snow in the smokies, from clingmans to newfound is pretty bad butnot terrible. Heading for Hot springs in two days. Feels good to be done with this section! Met some nice folks on trail but with my timing (finish by july) I'm not likely to see them again. Hiked a bit with Tawa and Rockhound, saw Mike and Nobody and a couple others ar Neels. The shelter mice are everything they are made out to be, hate those bastads.Had some nice trail magic at the Fontana Hilton compliments of Swinglow. Anyway, hope to see some of you on trail.

Marathon Mouse

Praha4
02-28-2011, 20:17
you're doing great. Wow, BIG difference from the conditions on the trail last year at this time. The snow and ice were a LOT worse last year in the southern Appalachians. Maybe an early spring/summer, which means I'm dreading the coming heat/humidity by May/June.

have a great hike

Firefighter503
03-01-2011, 17:04
Awesome man. Keep it up. I'm NOBO in 12 days! I CAN NOT WAIT. :)

HoneyBear
03-01-2011, 18:26
Rockhound got to Standing Bear Farm today at noon. He was just 1 shelter behind you. Hard to believe you did not stop there. He says it's a must stop and he told you not to pass it up. All NOBOs do not pass up this oasis. Reward yourselves after conquering the Smokies. Right now he is enjoying pizza and beer and drying out from all that rain.

d.o.c
03-01-2011, 18:28
Rockhound got to Standing Bear Farm today at noon. He was just 1 shelter behind you. Hard to believe you did not stop there. He says it's a must stop and he told you not to pass it up. All NOBOs do not pass up this oasis. Reward yourselves after conquering the Smokies. Right now he is enjoying pizza and beer and drying out from all that rain.
A nice reward it is i was suprised and happy to find the standing bear farm

Speakeasy TN
03-01-2011, 18:48
I'm heading out on the 13th. Standing Bear is one of the "can't miss" spots on my list. Dropped a couple of NOBO's there while returning from Trail Days last year. Does it get better than peace,quiet, pizza and beer? Maybe if you put your feet in the creek!

jgiles3311
03-05-2011, 18:18

Oh man! I dont know why i missed Standing Bear, must have slipped my mind. Sad i missed Rockhound too, it was nice hiking with him in the beginning.

Im at unclejohnnys now. About to head into town on the dinner shuttle to resupply and get some food. Looking forward to a good hot meal. Had amazing weather from Davenport until today when it poured on top of big bald. Coming accross that thing at 9am this morning was nasty!

Anyway, next stop Kincora. Good luck to those starting soon...

Marathon Mouse