PDA

View Full Version : Been on my heart for a while

Mtn Scout
02-28-2011, 20:11
after a few weekends on the trail i am finally doing what i have felt led to do for a while>.....:banana

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Appalachian-Trail-Disciples/192831817405390

i hope this is not in the wrong place or is not allowed. if so please let me know and it will be removed

ShoelessWanderer
02-28-2011, 20:13
I'm really hoping this doesn't mean that you're out preaching to hikers on the trail...

njordan2
02-28-2011, 20:15
That is awesome. Since it involves the A.T., this is the right place for it.

I'm really hoping this means that you're out preaching to hikers on the trail...

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:16
That is awesome. Since it involves the A.T., this is the right place for it.

I'm really hoping this means that you're out preaching to hikers on the trail...
awesome

me too

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:16
gonna be a firestorm coming!!

chiefiepoo
02-28-2011, 20:17
looks ok to me, the trail is a spiritual place. room for all there, i believe. here too

Mtn Scout
02-28-2011, 20:17
I'm really hoping this doesn't mean that you're out preaching to hikers on the trail...

sorry to dissapoint you, but thats exactly what we are doing. sharing our faith. :banana

njordan2
02-28-2011, 20:18
In five minutes, there have been five posts by four different people! This is gonna be great!

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:19
In five minutes, there have been five posts by four different people! This is gonna be great!
get out the popcorn

and say a prayer

Mountain Wildman
02-28-2011, 20:20
Amen.
The Truth is eternal!!!

FritztheCat
02-28-2011, 20:25
Oh boy....

generoll
02-28-2011, 20:26
you need to track down Rockhound. he'd enjoy debating the merits of your mission with you.

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:27
sorry to dissapoint you, but thats exactly what we are doing. sharing our faith. :banana
some are going to get nasty

always answer with kindness :sun

ShoelessWanderer
02-28-2011, 20:28

"Sharing" or "pushing"...I hike to get away from religion that's forced on me in every day life.

Oh boy....

lol...I was wondering if you'd pipe up...

Namaste
02-28-2011, 20:28
looks ok to me, the trail is a spiritual place. room for all there, i believe. here too

Atheists and agnostics included.

ShoelessWanderer
02-28-2011, 20:29

Amen to that one. :D

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:30
yep atheism is just another religeon

Skidsteer
02-28-2011, 20:31
Get you some.

Freedom Walker
02-28-2011, 20:32
Welcome. There is room for all, its a BIG tent.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2011, 20:34

cool. rather listen to you than gearhead knowitalls.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2011, 20:34
Where's the next prayer meeting? The Doyle or Dots?

johnnybgood
02-28-2011, 20:36
The bible says to spread the good news...but respect the wishes of those not yet ready to hear it .

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:36
The bible says to spread the good news...but respect the wishes of those not yet ready to hear it .
where???????

chiefiepoo
02-28-2011, 20:37
I'm a frisbeetarian, we believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof.

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:38

where???????
I got you.

Not an all inclusive statement. Also good advice.

bert304
02-28-2011, 20:42
You will be hiking a fine line between pushing and sharing your faith.

Tinker
02-28-2011, 20:45
The religious hypocrites of Jesus' time referred to him as a "friend of tax collectors and sinners."
He still is :).

hikerboy57
02-28-2011, 20:51
My eyes start glazing over when people start telling me about "their god". religion has done a great job of dividing humanity. I dont mind though if the preaching doesnt involve one particular theism and speaks more of the principles the religion espouses (which are pretty universal)I read an interview with Jack Nicholson in Esquire magazine many years ago that I still remember called "things Ive learned in my life". When he was asked about religion his reply was "do unto others, is there any other rule necessary?"Better to walk the walk than talk the talk.

Turtle Feet
02-28-2011, 20:52
I'm a frisbeetarian, we believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof.

Now I would buy that t-shirt!!!!

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:53
My eyes start glazing over when people start telling me about "their god". religion has done a great job of dividing humanity. I dont mind though if the preaching doesnt involve one particular theism and speaks more of the principles the religion espouses (which are pretty universal)I read an interview with Jack Nicholson in Esquire magazine many years ago that I still remember called "things Ive learned in my life". When he was asked about religion his reply was "do unto others, is there any other rule necessary?"Better to walk the walk than talk the talk.
That is just half of it.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 20:53
I did a long section about 4 years ago I think - GA to Elk Park, I believe and I was stuck on a long rainy night in a shelter with two holier than thou types - their names were "Good News" and "On the Move". At first, I was friendly like I always try to be but then they became a royal pain in the ayse and refused to leave me and my shelter mates alone even when we intentionally "changed the subject." Several others I ran into that trip said that they were being bothered too. I have no room in my short very happy life for these sorts of people and I wish that they would keep their ideas to themselves on the trail (unless asked). If I had had some weed, I think we should have smoked them out of there. Alas, I didn't. Their thinly veiled as "intelligent" views when shaken out and shown the light of day were pretty much the standard right-wing christian drool and dribble in which their "ideal" is an authoritarian society where men interpret God's will as law. Women are helpmates, and children are the property of their parents. Earth must submit to the dominion of those to whom God has granted power and there is no way to ever survive and make it to heaven without Jesus; that the bible is the "infallible word of god", blah, blah, etc., etc. - because they say so - what a bunch of horse *****. While I enjoy believing in a unifying force, some sort of heavenly permissive and accepting god, a higher power something to believe in and do not begrudge anyone their beliefs however ridiculous - it is this type of hard, rigid, right-wing, closed minded, dunderheaded thinking that I detest most. For these sorts to be out preaching on the trail is a direct affront to my rights to do my own damn thing. Please keep your religious views to yourself unless somebody wants to engage you in a conversation -aside from that, nobody on the trail gives a ***** what's "on your heart".

Lone Wolf
02-28-2011, 20:57
i will be walkin' with circuit rider and sherlock from springer north. very good buds of mine. awesome guys
http://www.heartbeatat.com/

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 20:58
i will be walkin' with circuit rider and sherlock from springer north. very good buds of mine. awesome guys
http://www.heartbeatat.com/
Met them at soruck 09 they are great!!

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:02
I did a long section about 4 years ago I think - GA to Elk Park, I believe and I was stuck on a long rainy night in a shelter with two holier than thou types - their names were "Good News" and "On the Move". At first, I was friendly like I always try to be but then they became a royal pain in the ayse and refused to leave me and my shelter mates alone even when we intentionally "changed the subject." Several others I ran into that trip said that they were being bothered too. I have no room in my short very happy life for these sorts of people and I wish that they would keep their ideas to themselves on the trail (unless asked). If I had had some weed, I think we should have smoked them out of there. Alas, I didn't. Their thinly veiled as "intelligent" views when shaken out and shown the light of day were pretty much the standard right-wing christian drool and dribble in which their "ideal" is an authoritarian society where men interpret God's will as law. Women are helpmates, and children are the property of their parents. Earth must submit to the dominion of those to whom God has granted power and there is no way to ever survive and make it to heaven without Jesus; that the bible is the "infallible word of god", blah, blah, etc., etc. - because they say so - what a bunch of horse *****. While I enjoy believing in a unifying force, some sort of heavenly permissive and accepting god, a higher power something to believe in and do not begrudge anyone their beliefs however ridiculous - it is this type of hard, rigid, right-wing, closed minded, dunderheaded thinking that I detest most. For these sorts to be out preaching on the trail is a direct affront to my rights to do my own damn thing. Please keep your religious views to yourself unless somebody wants to engage you in a conversation -aside from that, nobody on the trail gives a ***** what's "on your heart".

They should have shut up when you asked them to. Hopefully, your attempts to reroute the conversation were obvious enough that you are justified in your comments above.
Me? If you don't want to hear it, just say so and I'll shut up - but if I do, you'll never know how different I am than the "dunderheads" you mention above. I consider myself a follower of Jesus, but a few other Christians have branded me a "heretic" for some of my views.
I'm a lot less closed minded than I used to be.:)

dragoro
02-28-2011, 21:04

I love how you say their views are wrong and should be kept to themselves and yet have no problem espousing your views as if yours are right and everyone elses are wrong.

Hypocrite.

hikerboy57
02-28-2011, 21:05
That is just half of it.
well, of course. Just treat people they way you'd like to be treated and everything else always falls into place. the irony here is I think a lot of us go to the woods for the opportunity to empty our minds, become more mindful of the present moment and find the spirituality that most religion actually separates us from through a long list of rules to be adhered to if one wants to be saved.. You dont necessarrily need religion to seek spirituality.Just like John Muir, my cathedral is not a building.HYOH, but let others hike theirs.

Mr Boston
02-28-2011, 21:07
Priest: Don't be afraid, my son. No one is more powerful than God.

Calogero 'C' Anello: I don't know about that, father. Your guy may be bigger than my guy up there, but my guy is bigger than your guy down here.

Priest: Ya got a point.

Sierra Echo
02-28-2011, 21:07
Its these kind of threads that make it blantantly obvious who I don't need to waste my time getting to know. Good luck Mtn Scout, perhaps our paths shall cross! :)

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 21:09
well, of course. Just treat people they way you'd like to be treated and everything else always falls into place. the irony here is I think a lot of us go to the woods for the opportunity to empty our minds, become more mindful of the present moment and find the spirituality that most religion actually separates us from through a long list of rules to be adhered to if one wants to be saved.. You dont necessarrily need religion to seek spirituality.Just like John Muir, my cathedral is not a building.HYOH, but let others hike theirs.
Religion does separate us from God. Jesus had a real problem with religious people and called them whitewashed tombs. That is why if someone asks me if I'm religious, I tell them no. I am a follower of Jesus.
The other half of that statement is, "lover your neighbor as your self and love God with your whole heart, mind, and soul"

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:11
Where's the next prayer meeting? The Doyle or Dots?

You missed it. It was at The Doyle last week. I was praying that Sasquatch didn't drink himself into oblivion. :rolleyes:
Thankfully it worked - for now. ;)

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:13
Tinker - you don't sound too pushy and I'm sure you are not a dunderhead and thanks for your comments - in general, if you are a hiker, you are my friend but there is this type of person on the trail that thinks all of us hippie hikers are sinners and are somehow compelled to come out and tell us how we are all washed up and save us. That's the kind I avoid like poison ivy. You are probably not that type - hopefully, you are out there for the adventure - if that's the case, your beliefs are great with me.

hikerboy57
02-28-2011, 21:15
"lover your neighbor as your self and love God with your whole heart, mind, and soul".
In my eyes they are one and the same, not some guy sitting on a cloud. respect the sacredness of all life.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:15
Dragoro you are absolutely right - I don't have all the answers - anyone who thinks they have all the answers probably has very few - thanks

sheepdog
02-28-2011, 21:17
Dragoro you are absolutely right - I don't have all the answers - anyone who thinks they have all the answers probably has very few - thanks
I had all the answers when I was a teen-ager. I seemed to have got dumber as I got older. Lots to learn out there.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:18
Hey Tinker - I see you walked the LT - super cool

hikerboy57
02-28-2011, 21:18
It takes years of life experience, sometimes a whole lifetime to come to the realization you've been asking all the wrong questions!

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:19
Religion does separate us from God. Jesus had a real problem with religious people and called them whitewashed tombs. That is why if someone asks me if I'm religious, I tell them no. I am a follower of Jesus.
The other half of that statement is, "lover your neighbor as your self and love God with your whole heart, mind, and soul"

Amen, Dog! Preaching shouldn't be about winning people to our way of thinking as much as it should be showing them how much God loves them. He extends to all the promise of a life without fear, anger, hate, pain, etc. That, of course, will be in the future when "the meek shall (future) inherit (from their Father) the earth."
If we don't reflect the (loving) Father, as Jesus did, we do Him and humanity a disservice.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:19
The Doyle - ha, ha, ha - I think I'll have a drink right now in honor of that place - ha, ha, ha, ha - best thing about PA

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:21
Hey Tinker - I see you walked the LT - super cool
Yes, but it took a few years of vacation time to do it. I planned on thruhiking it last fall but had a financial shortfall. :rolleyes:

Skidsteer
02-28-2011, 21:21
The Doyle - ha, ha, ha - I think I'll have a drink right now in honor of that place - ha, ha, ha, ha - best thing about PA

Jesus' first miracle was turning water to wine. Makes sense to me.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2011, 21:22
hmmmm. much better places in PA than that joint

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:23

One of the best things on the trail in Pa. - mostly for the folks who run it, Vicky and Pat, and the folks who stay there, mainly hikers.

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:25
Jesus' first miracle was turning water to wine. Makes sense to me.
That one gave my Mennonite inlaws the fits. I tried to tell them that, traditionally, alcoholic wine was served at Jewish weddings. They wouldn't hear it! :rolleyes::)

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:29
well, I was speaking of towns there Lone Wolf - not the trail itself which is so nice and smooth - ha ha - of the places I stopped which I think were Delaware Water Gap, Palmerton, and the Doyle in Duncannon - the Doyle was where I had the most fun.

dragoro
02-28-2011, 21:31
Hehe 53 posts in an hour and a half.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:31
See how easily I got all you folks off of your religious kick and started talking about something really holy - the Doyle Hotel - now that's really funny - any of yall ever been to the "Mayor's House?"

carpattack
02-28-2011, 21:32
Preaching shouldn't be about winning people to our way of thinking as much as it should be showing them how much God loves them.

When I do my ga-me thru next year I hope I can reflect that!

58starter
02-28-2011, 21:36
Way to go brother, hope to run into you on the trail. I will be hiking with a nephew soon for a week starting March 20th.

ShoelessWanderer
02-28-2011, 21:41
Me? If you don't want to hear it, just say so and I'll shut up

And that's really all we ask.

Sierra Echo
02-28-2011, 21:43

I doubt you speak for everyone. Just saying.

max patch
02-28-2011, 21:46
and the folks who stay there, mainly hikers.

Is that a true statement? That wasn't the case when I was there, but of course, it was only one nite and was years ago. Has the Doyle truly evolved from a cheap flop house to a hiker hang out?

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:47
Shoeless Wanderer sounds like she speaks for most - pretty level headed hiker out for the adventure - so yeah Sierra Echo - I think her ideas are more in line with our community - "just saying."

Sierra Echo
02-28-2011, 21:48
Shoeless Wanderer sounds like she speaks for most - pretty level headed hiker out for the adventure - so yeah Sierra Echo - I think her ideas are more in line with our community - "just saying."

I don't think so. But you have your opinions and quite honestly I don't find them interesting. Sorry man, I just cant get interested in you as a person.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:49
the Doyle is owned now by two GREAT people but I do sort of lament that it isn't a cheap flop house anymore - that was sort of the beauty - there is still no covers on the lightbulbs - I hope

max patch
02-28-2011, 21:51
And to get back on track, good luck with your mission work Mtn Scout.

nitegaunt
02-28-2011, 21:53
Ugh!!! Why must people feel that they have to aggravate others who are trying to enjoy nature in their own way? What ever happened to HYOH? And if the subject of religion happens to come up then by all means throw in your two cents. Otherwise, just leave people alone.

TallShark
02-28-2011, 21:55
Yeah good luck buddy, I think It's wonderful. But only witness under the right circumstances, and never be argumentative or pushy.

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:56
With all due respect Sierra Echo, I'm not asking you to find me interesting and I don't need you to think I'm interesting - I need you to pretty much say - "hey, how are you", smile, and leave me alone - that was my original point - I hike for my own adventure and sometimes that of my friends - sometimes my friends and I tire of each and that is ok too. I just don't want to be preached to on the trail by those out there for that purpose - it's not the place in my opinion - thank you very much - this was Shoeless Wanderer's point - - if you want to preach, set up a sermon somewhere and invite people - have a potluck - whatever - just don't approach me with it in a trail shelter if I'm obviously not interested. thank you.

sbhikes
02-28-2011, 21:56
Oh boy. Drunken frat boys, lunatics with guns and bible thumpers galore. That seals it. I'm hiking SOBO if I ever hike the AT.

Sierra Echo
02-28-2011, 21:57
With all due respect Sierra Echo, I'm not asking you to find me interesting and I don't need you to think I'm interesting - I need you to pretty much say - "hey, how are you", smile, and leave me alone - that was my original point - I hike for my own adventure and sometimes that of my friends - sometimes my friends and I tire of each and that is ok too. I just don't want to be preached to on the trail by those out there for that purpose - it's not the place in my opinion - thank you very much - this was Shoeless Wanderer's point - - if you want to preach, set up a sermon somewhere and invite people - have a potluck - whatever - just don't approach me with it in a trail shelter if I'm obviously not interested. thank you.

If you don't care that I think you are uninteresting then stop babbling at me! I swear your worse then my exhusband!

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:58
Yes SB Hikes - you have a much better chance of avoiding lots of this stuff SOBO - it's a great thing.

Namaste
02-28-2011, 21:58
No religion and no politics when I'm on the trail.

Tinker
02-28-2011, 21:59
Oh boy. Drunken frat boys, lunatics with guns and bible thumpers galore. That seals it. I'm hiking SOBO if I ever hike the AT.
Now THAT's funny.:D (really!)

Papa D
02-28-2011, 21:59
ok Sierra Echo - deal

dragoro
02-28-2011, 22:02
ok Sierra Echo - deal

Seems like she's the type that's gotta have the last word. I'd just drop it.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2011, 22:24
If you don't care that I think you are uninteresting then stop babbling at me! I swear your worse then my exhusband!
Lucky him.

dragoro
02-28-2011, 22:27
Lucky him.

Omg can't stop laughing.

chiefiepoo
02-28-2011, 22:28
now you done it. you said the other toxic incantations, lunatics and guns.

Blissful
02-28-2011, 22:39
after a few weekends on the trail i am finally doing what i have felt led to do for a while>.....:banana

i hope this is not in the wrong place or is not allowed. if so please let me know and it will be removed

I joined. Love God, love the trail, what an experience all around. Without the Creator who made the scenery and the great people I meet, I'd miss a HUGE dimension out on the trail. That's why I LOVE going out.
Just sayin' from my experience...

:sun

Mtn Scout
02-28-2011, 22:40
I joined. Love God, love the trail, what an experience all around. Without the Creator who made the scenery and the great people I meet, I'd miss a HUGE dimension out on the trail. That's why I LOVE going out.
Just sayin' from my experience...

:sun

Awesome, and thank you for sharing!!

FritztheCat
02-28-2011, 23:03

Exactly! It's that simple really.

snifur
02-28-2011, 23:07
i smell the values and virtues that await us on the trail...
peace and love peeps. peace and love!

RockDoc
02-28-2011, 23:15
I can't help thinking that on one of my first AT hikes as a boy, back in the 1960's I remember coming across a bearded man sitting by the trail reading the Bible. He didn't really want to talk so I left and he kept reading... After more than 40 years he still sticks in my mind. There was something very powerful going on, and it had a lot to do with the AT itself.

SassyWindsor
02-28-2011, 23:40
I'm curious, is it OK to start treads about politics. Religion can conjure up more debate than almost any subject, except maybe dogs on the trail or tent vs hammocks. I couldn't locate any rules concerning religion or politics as a topic.

Graywolf
03-01-2011, 00:00
Well, I say that Jesus should be a part of this community. he said, "Walk, come and follow me". So I picked up my backpack, became a hiker..Thank you Jesus!!

George
03-01-2011, 01:01
One of the best items of bathroom graffiti I have seen; this year at a gas station near Springer

Dear Lord please save me, from your followers...

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 01:46
One of the best items of bathroom graffiti I have seen; this year at a gas station near Springer

Dear Lord please save me, from your followers...

I have that on a button "jesus, protect us from your followers"

elmotoots
03-01-2011, 02:37
Lucky him.

Man you just made me spit all over my computer screen.

tirebiter
03-01-2011, 02:45
Believe what you believe, just as long as you're polite enough to not preach if someone asks you not to... I promise that we nonbelievers have heard it all already.

PuF
03-01-2011, 08:25
If only you could hear a tone of voice in the posts, please read each post a few times in your head before a hasty reply, I know I did.

PuF
03-01-2011, 08:43
See how easily I got all you folks off of your religious kick and started talking about something really holy - the Doyle Hotel - now that's really funny - any of yall ever been to the "Mayor's House?"

newb here, what is "the Doyle," and the "Mayor's House?"

Speakeasy TN
03-01-2011, 08:54

Legendary Trail bars

TD55
03-01-2011, 10:06
Places of spiritual replenishment.

TD55
03-01-2011, 10:08
If only you could hear a tone of voice in the posts, please read each post a few times in your head before a hasty reply, I know I did.
Wait a minute, how did you get into my head?

coheterojo
03-01-2011, 10:16
The "Mayor's House" was the "Outhouse" when I went thru last year. I didn't see God but.... there was an inspirational video.

Vincero!

Lone Wolf
03-01-2011, 10:18

places to get drunk and puke

Mango
03-01-2011, 10:22
Personal observation. On the AT in '06 I met a few hikers who discussed their faith (sometimes prompted, sometimes not.) On the PCT last year it seemed that many more hikers were discussing God, their faith, etc., but none were pushy - just more open. Maybe the more dramatic scenery of the Sierra makes this easier. Just sayin'.

Wobegon
03-01-2011, 10:41
Please keep the Bible thumping away. If I'm approached it'll be a "not worth your time, or mine" from me.

WI shepherd
03-01-2011, 11:01
I can't help thinking that on one of my first AT hikes as a boy, back in the 1960's I remember coming across a bearded man sitting by the trail reading the Bible. He didn't really want to talk so I left and he kept reading... After more than 40 years he still sticks in my mind. There was something very powerful going on, and it had a lot to do with the AT itself.

thank you for RockDoc for bringing up a memory picture of my very old grandmother sitting at her kitchen table in the evening reading her Bible by the light of a bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling. She didn't live close to the AT, and her days of fishing the WI river were decades past, but even I as a young kid could feel something special going on.

Through my struggles trying to understand God I've come to realize the New Testament is important to Christians because it is a book of establishing a personal relationship with Jesus. Just as I can't be "made" or "forced" to establish a personal relationship with anyone here or on a trail; no one can make me establish a relationship with Jesus.

I've been annoyed with thumpers, but I've also been tagged with people showing the love of Christ. My conclusion for my life: I have a heavenly Father who loves me, and when I stray he will try to find me and bring me back home (just like any earthly parent.) Sometimes he puts people in my path that annoy and push and force me to question their tactics and His message; sometimes it is the gentle, powerful image of someone in their personal moment with Him that makes me long for that same type of personal relationship.

HYOH

RockDoc
03-01-2011, 11:47
Why are proclaimed "athiests" really just Christian haters?

If they are really "athiests" (Wikipedia: the rejection of belief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_belief) in the existence of deities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God)) then they should be equal opportunity haters, and use these pages to insult the Dalai Lama and the idea that Natives have sacred sites that should be protected. Come on, athiests, lets hear your Buddhism rants!!

TallShark
03-01-2011, 11:48
^ +1............

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 11:49
This has been mostly a very civil discussion.

cool

TallShark
03-01-2011, 11:49
^ no dangit i meant for that to go to shepherd

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 11:50
thank you for RockDoc for bringing up a memory picture of my very old grandmother sitting at her kitchen table in the evening reading her Bible by the light of a bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling. She didn't live close to the AT, and her days of fishing the WI river were decades past, but even I as a young kid could feel something special going on.

Through my struggles trying to understand God I've come to realize the New Testament is important to Christians because it is a book of establishing a personal relationship with Jesus. Just as I can't be "made" or "forced" to establish a personal relationship with anyone here or on a trail; no one can make me establish a relationship with Jesus.

I've been annoyed with thumpers, but I've also been tagged with people showing the love of Christ. My conclusion for my life: I have a heavenly Father who loves me, and when I stray he will try to find me and bring me back home (just like any earthly parent.) Sometimes he puts people in my path that annoy and push and force me to question their tactics and His message; sometimes it is the gentle, powerful image of someone in their personal moment with Him that makes me long for that same type of personal relationship.

HYOH
well said

Namaste
03-01-2011, 12:30
The Dalai Lama is someone I wouldn't mind meeting on the AT. Buddhism is not really a religion but more a philosophy.

IceAge
03-01-2011, 12:42

If they are really "athiests" (Wikipedia: the rejection of belief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_belief) in the existence of deities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God)) then they should be equal opportunity haters, and use these pages to insult the Dalai Lama and the idea that Natives have sacred sites that should be protected. Come on, athiests, lets hear your Buddhism rants!!

Oddly enough, I don't have Buddhists knocking on my door every weekend or trying to encourage me to listen to their "good news" while I'm out talking a walk.

There are religions that proselytize and those that don't. Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, to name a few, aren't out actively recruiting new members.

All you are doing by proselytizing is trying to sell me something. It shouldn't be surprising to be treated the same way a pushy salesman is treated.

Wobegon
03-01-2011, 12:46

I don't know about fellow atheists, but I've never been proselytized to, vilified by, hit up for money by, or protested against by Buddhists or Natives.

It's not the Sikhs or the Hindus protesting dead American soldiers funerals and tossing bombs into clinics.

I think all religions are equally dogmatic, archaic, and dangerous. Christians are just the most blind, prevalent, and outspoken in this country.

But if it truly makes you happy, and you practice in a respectful way without snubbing your nose at others (this includes proselytizing or distributing propaganda in the wilderness), then go for it.

sbhikes
03-01-2011, 12:55
I grew up going to church but I do not go anymore. What goes on in church is not spiritual. What goes on in nature is spiritual.

I had not thought about any of the stuff from church in a long time. When I went on my hike, the following items were made clear:

1. Jesus said to drop all your stuff and follow me. I was an ultralight hiker. I got it. I understood that it is good to walk, to move my body and to carry very little.

2. Jesus said to look at the birds and how they don't hoard away stuff and worry about the future. Look at the lillies and see that they are clothed finer than you'll ever be. Yeah. A minimalist lifestyle is a good thing. Acquiring stuff is not important. Trail magic is real once you are open to it (and I'm not talking about rides and coolers, I'm talking real trail magic). And if you stay open, you can find trail magic in real life, too.

3. In Genesis Adam and Eve were put to work in the garden of Eden. I learned from my hike that physical work feels good. It's what we're meant to do.

Have I ever met a religious person in regular life who lives this way? Never. Have I ever met anyone in real life who preaches minimalism, living in and with nature, taking inspiration from birds and flowers, living a life of trail magic? Never.

Please do not preach to me. I figured it out on my own, thank you.

hikerboy57
03-01-2011, 13:05
SB, that was beautiful! I couldnt agree more.I was raised roman catholic, havent been to church in I dont know how many years, and my relationship with the divine is the strongest its ever been.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2011, 13:59
Unfortunetly, proselytizing is a basic tenet of the Christion religon, other wise there would not be so many of them. Therefore, they are commited to spreading "the word", much to the annoyance of everyone else. Just something we have to put up with. At least they don't go around forcing conversions at the point of a sword or a gun anymore - for the most part.

God was created in mans image. It is rather vain of anyone to think it was the other way around.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 14:24
I grew up going to church but I do not go anymore. What goes on in church is not spiritual. What goes on in nature is spiritual.

I had not thought about any of the stuff from church in a long time. When I went on my hike, the following items were made clear:

1. Jesus said to drop all your stuff and follow me. I was an ultralight hiker. I got it. I understood that it is good to walk, to move my body and to carry very little.

2. Jesus said to look at the birds and how they don't hoard away stuff and worry about the future. Look at the lillies and see that they are clothed finer than you'll ever be. Yeah. A minimalist lifestyle is a good thing. Acquiring stuff is not important. Trail magic is real once you are open to it (and I'm not talking about rides and coolers, I'm talking real trail magic). And if you stay open, you can find trail magic in real life, too.

3. In Genesis Adam and Eve were put to work in the garden of Eden. I learned from my hike that physical work feels good. It's what we're meant to do.

Have I ever met a religious person in regular life who lives this way? Never. Have I ever met anyone in real life who preaches minimalism, living in and with nature, taking inspiration from birds and flowers, living a life of trail magic? Never.

Please do not preach to me. I figured it out on my own, thank you.
Jesus said a lot more things also. You should check them out. They have eternal significance.

IceAge
03-01-2011, 14:26
Since RockDoc brought up Buddhism, he should also be informed that there is no deity in Buddhism, therefore there is no inconsistency in being an atheist (note the spelling) and a Buddhist.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 14:32
Lots of atheists proselytizing too. They are often aggressive and looking to pick an argument where ever they can. Several non-Christians gave very helpful advice in the beginning of this thread. It looks like it is quickly going down hill.

IceAge
03-01-2011, 14:38
No aggression here, sheepy! Just answering RockDoc's questions.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 14:40
No aggression here, sheepy! Just answering RockDoc's questions.
Never had a problem with your posts. :D

TallShark
03-01-2011, 14:45
I haven’t heard one Christian speak even near as harsh in this thread as the ones who speak so adamantly against it (continuously mind you). I’ve grown up with friends and family that were Christian and non-Christian including atheist, agnostics, and downright immoral people and I tell you what, I would take my hike with a real Christian any day over any other person, especially the ones who have so irreverently chimed in on this thread. Just to let all know I’m still trying to figure out where I stand in my beliefs and practices and from what I’ve seen in the past 24 hours is that the ones who talk about Christianity in a positive light seem to be wonderful, caring individuals.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 14:58
Satan built the Appalachian Trail.

fredmugs
03-01-2011, 15:01
I haven’t heard one Christian speak even near as harsh in this thread as the ones who speak so adamantly against it (continuously mind you). I’ve grown up with friends and family that were Christian and non-Christian including atheist, agnostics, and downright immoral people and I tell you what, I would take my hike with a real Christian any day over any other person, especially the ones who have so irreverently chimed in on this thread. Just to let all know I’m still trying to figure out where I stand in my beliefs and practices and from what I’ve seen in the past 24 hours is that the ones who talk about Christianity in a positive light seem to be wonderful, caring individuals.

Define a "real" Christian? I real Christian to me is someone who makes a conscious decision to live their lives every day according to the teachings of Christ. I haven't met one yet who isn't a hypocrite in some form or fashion. Most Christians pick and choose what parts they want to buy into and ignore all that contradictory stuff.

Dave Barry once asked "Why is it that people who want you to listen their religious views are never willing to listen to yours?" I couldn't even get the Jehovah's Witnesses in my community to listen to me for 15 minutes in exchange for me listening to them for 15 minutes.

You can preach to me as long as I get to go first.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 15:02
only the steep hills without switch-backs :D

fredmugs
03-01-2011, 15:04
The Dalai Lama is someone I wouldn't mind meeting on the AT. Buddhism is not really a religion but more a philosophy.

Move to Bloomington, IN. He has relatives here and comes by every couple of years or so. There is a large Tibetan center in town. I never actually met him but ate in the same restaurant with him once.

T-Dubs
03-01-2011, 15:09

I'm OK with the Buddhists as I can't remember the last time a Buddhist knocked on my front door with the hopes of saving my soul.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 15:18
Move to Bloomington, IN. He has relatives here and comes by every couple of years or so. There is a large Tibetan center in town. I never actually met him but ate in the same restaurant with him once.

One less relative. His nephew from Bloomington was killed two weeks ago doing a road walk here. (in the dark for some reason). Hit by a car driven by a *********.

Wobegon
03-01-2011, 15:26
Lots of atheists proselytizing too. They are often aggressive and looking to pick an argument where ever they can. Several non-Christians gave very helpful advice in the beginning of this thread. It looks like it is quickly going down hill.

LOL. Do you have atheists knocking on your door handing out pamphlets? Do your hear them on street corners and in college campus mall areas shouting? Has anybody posted threads on Whiteblaze stating that they are heading out on the AT to convert people to atheism/secular humanism?

Science and reason doesn't need proselytism to flourish.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 15:26
Yeah cause ********** are the only ones to ever hit and kill someone with their car.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 15:27
[QUOTE=End_GAME;1122132]LOL. Do you have atheists knocking on your door handing out pamphlets? Do your hear them on street corners and in college campus mall areas shouting? Has anybody posted threads on Whiteblaze stating that they are heading out on the AT to convert people to atheism/secular humanism?

Science and reason doesn't need proselytism to flourish.[/QUOTYep seen em handing out pamphlets, putting up billboards, putting advertisements on busses.

Next.

RockDoc
03-01-2011, 15:31
"Buddhism is not really a religion but more a philosophy."
It is the largest organized religion in the world, and when you take a close look you find a lot of disturbing facts, like the numerous cold and hot hells that are postulated in Tibetan Buddhism. It makes the single hot Christian hell seem fairly humble. I was curious how you end up in the hottest hell, and I was told (during my visit to Dharmsala) that it was reserved for those who disobey their teachers.

"no deity in Buddhism"
Is not the Dalai Lama the incarnate of Buddha Siddartha himself? They actually test children to see if they recognize belongings of the previous DL. This is getting far off the point of the thread, but I've never seen a Buddhist home that did not have an image of a deity prominently displayed, and the object itself was worshiped daily. When you tour Buddhist shrines throughout Asia, as I have, you spend most of your time looking at depictions of deities, especially Buddha in many different manifestations (fat, thin, young, old, happy, sad, sitting, dancing...).

I would add that I don't personally claim to be a Christian, although I've known many that I have admired. I just think it's important to ask atheists why they bash only Christians. In my opinion they are being inconsistent and I want to know why.

TallShark
03-01-2011, 15:34
^ yeah me too cause it's annoying.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 15:36
LOL. Do you have atheists knocking on your door handing out pamphlets? Do your hear them on street corners and in college campus mall areas shouting? Has anybody posted threads on Whiteblaze stating that they are heading out on the AT to convert people to atheism/secular humanism?

I've been to Christian events where atheists protest with signs and hand out leaflets. Every time a Christian thread comes up it is swarmed by anti-Christians calling names and proselytizing their no God message. So I guess the answer is yes.
Some Christians and non-Christians have offered some very good advice: be respectful, if someone says they don't want to talk about it--don't etc....
God bless the seeker.

Blissful
03-01-2011, 15:41
I'm OK with the Buddhists as I can't remember the last time a Buddhist knocked on my front door with the hopes of saving my soul.

The only ones who ever knock on my door are the Mormons and Jehovah Witness clans. They do it to fulfill a mission requirement of their sect, I believe.

Blissful
03-01-2011, 15:49
I've been to Christian events where atheists protest with signs and hand out leaflets. Every time a Christian thread comes up it is swarmed by anti-Christians calling names and proselytizing their no God message. So I guess the answer is yes.

Atheists don't have time to go door to door. They are much too busy in the courts trying to make our nation atheistic.

But I have been to gatherings and see them. They have a right to do it. The same as I have a right to give an account of the hope that is within me.

Anyway, at the end of time we'll find out who is right, and uh...who is dead (isn't that a movie quote? Oh yeah, Princess Bride)

:)

dragoro
03-01-2011, 15:54
I've always wondered that if atheists don't believe in god, why do they care if people pray to an imaginary being. They hate Christians trying to spread their beliefs, but have no problem trying to spread their non belief. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 15:54
The only ones who ever knock on my door are the Mormons and Jehovah Witness clans. They do it to fulfill a mission requirement of their sect, I believe.

Are you saying they are not Christians?

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 15:56
I've been to Christian events where atheists protest with signs and hand out leaflets.

What event was this? where? when?

dragoro
03-01-2011, 15:58

Yeah cause if you don't get exact dates and times, it never happened. ::rolls eyes::

dragoro
03-01-2011, 16:00

If your so against this nonsense called religion, why are you using one of it's tenants as your signature to promote getting high?

dragoro
03-01-2011, 16:02

How bout you address the atheist billboards and bus advertisements in NY! Toronto, and Seattle.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 16:04
Take a deep breath.

skooch
03-01-2011, 16:15

Athiest are not thumping anything because they don't have anything to thump. No doctrine.
The AT is a path to enlightenment. HYOH

Mtn Scout
03-01-2011, 16:25
To all of who who have posted in this thread i want to thank you!! Even if you stand or do not stand for what i beleive in. I thank you because of the attention this thread has gotten has caused several people to see my facebook page and the emails i have received far are worth every minute of it!!!!!!

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 16:27
To all of who who have posted in this thread i want to thank you!! Even if you stand or do not stand for what i beleive in. I thank you because of the attention this thread has gotten has caused several people to see my facebook page and the emails i have received far are worth every minute of it!!!!!!

Cool...now maybe you will have time to spend more than a few weekends on the AT.:sun

tirebiter
03-01-2011, 16:29
I've always wondered that if atheists don't believe in god, why do they care if people pray to an imaginary being. They hate Christians trying to spread their beliefs, but have no problem trying to spread their non belief. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Mostly we hate this kind of condescension. :)

Sickmont
03-01-2011, 16:31
Worship whichever Diety/God/Goddess, etc. you choose in whatever way you wish. But please dont try to force new laws on me because you might not agree with certain things.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 16:31
Promise Keepers events in Detroit, Indianapolis, and at Stand in the Gap at Washington DC.

full conditions
03-01-2011, 16:32
Atheism is not a philosophy, religion, or a world view - its a specific response to the statement: " a god exists". I'm perfectly fine with anyone who wants an invisible friend in the sky having one - you can have a devine dictator who says "I love you completely but you better worship me or I'll set you up for eternal torture". Have at it Hoss. Just leave me out of your craziness. Keep your prosletizing away from from me and I wont demand that you apply logic, evidence and reason to the world around you.

Namaste
03-01-2011, 16:33
Religion, faith, beliefs, whatever is a very personal issue. Agree to disagree and be respectful. That's what I was brought up with and that's what I will die believing in. I was fortunate to grow up in a big city (NY) where I was exposed to many different religions and cultures and no one was bothered by anyone's beliefs.

Now imagine you're on the trail, just hiked 15 miles, it's raining, the shelter is full and someone brings up the topic of religion. The conversation/discussion goes on and on such as this thread (no disrespect to anyone-don't misunderstand the tone). I know what I would do.

sheepdog
03-01-2011, 16:35
When Carl Sagan says "The cosmos, it's all there is was or ever will be." That is a religious statement. It can't be proved, it's takes faith to believe it. And the sad thing is; it's taught in our schools.

Sickmont
03-01-2011, 16:36
Now imagine you're on the trail, just hiked 15 miles, it's raining, the shelter is full and someone brings up the topic of religion. The conversation/discussion goes on and on such as this thread (no disrespect to anyone-don't misunderstand the tone). I know what I would do.

Keep hiking?

Tilly
03-01-2011, 16:40

Buddhists do not evangelize. Neither do Natives. Or Jews, for that matter.

Non-Christian dosen't equal "Christian Hater" although I suppose it would be easy for some to interpret it that way.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2011, 16:41
Promise Keepers events in Detroit, Indianapolis, and at Stand in the Gap at Washington DC.

LOL even other churches and women's groups protest Promise Keepers.

Cookerhiker
03-01-2011, 16:43
In the greater society, some of the holier-than-thou "Christians" especially those with a national following and some of the radio preachers are obnoxious and offensive, saying that God will condemn all of those who don't believe the exact way they tell us to - that we're all doomed to an eternal hell.

But here on WB, I don't see this sentiment expressed at all. On this thread for example, the OP didn't try to preach to us - he just told us what his plans were on the Trail. Even if there are staunch fundamentalist-type WB Christians who feel their way is the only way, they're not lashing out at unbelievers or other-believers on WB; in fact, they've been respectful and reasonable. I say that not because I agree with their religious beliefs; chances are we have some big differences.

On the trail, I just hope everyone uses discretion and good judgement in conversations regarding religion. I agree with many others' expressed sentiments that religion can be very divisive. But not always.

Tilly
03-01-2011, 16:52
One less relative. His nephew from Bloomington was killed two weeks ago doing a road walk here. (in the dark for some reason). Hit by a car driven by a *********.

I feel really bad about this. Apparently his nephew did many long distance road walks to bring attention to the Tibet situation. I don't know much else about it, it's really awful.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 16:59
Take a deep breath.

Heh not aggravated at all, nice try though. Now answer thte question.

twsmith001
03-01-2011, 17:02
hey guys the reason athiest detest christians so much is because they look down on us thinking they are better because they believe in fairy tales........and we are smart enough not to......well in their view dumb enough not to.......but look at it from our point of view, everywhere we go christianity is thrown in our faces....all the time.....now im not saying i hate all christians.....just the ones that think having faith is a noble quality....that im lacking somehow or am less human because i am honest with myself and others instead of pretending just to fit in........

and as far as someone preaching to me on the trail......well i guess ill just do what i do when the folks come knocking at the door......tell them "we worship satan in this house" or camp or shelter or whatever......but there is no door to slam......so anyone know of a lightweight flame thrower set-up?????

dragoro
03-01-2011, 17:03

Moron........

dragoro
03-01-2011, 17:04
hey guys the reason athiest detest christians so much is because they look down on us thinking they are better because they believe in fairy tales........and we are smart enough not to......well in their view dumb enough not to.......but look at it from our point of view, everywhere we go christianity is thrown in our faces....all the time.....now im not saying i hate all christians.....just the ones that think having faith is a noble quality....that im lacking somehow or am less human because i am honest with myself and others instead of pretending just to fit in........

and as far as someone preaching to me on the trail......well i guess ill just do what i do when the folks come knocking at the door......tell them "we worship satan in this house" or camp or shelter or whatever......but there is no door to slam......so anyone know of a lightweight flame thrower set-up?????

No we look down on people like you cause you think your somehow better then us. News flash, your not.

Alligator
03-01-2011, 17:15

i hope this is not in the wrong place or is not allowed. if so please let me know and it will be removedHere's that link again (quoted above) if you would like to talk to Mtn Scout about his new venture.