PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail info for Sept 05 trip

hawkeye
01-09-2005, 00:57
Looking for any good trail towns to resupply.I have the end to end guide but am looking for some peronal insight. Also anyone going in Sept? I am planning to take 30 days.

bartender
01-09-2005, 13:36
The end to end guide has it pretty much right. I stopped in Manchester, took a zero and stayed at Suttons Place Hostel, The Inn At Long Trail, went into Rutland to resupply. I highly recomend the Inn its the last time you will see any AT hikers, they had great food, if you are there on a weekend Irish music, hiker rates, and oh yeah, Guinness. Next stop was Bristol, I didn't stay there(there is no place to stay anyway)just bought food, did laundry, ate pizza and sent some stuff home. Wasn't the easist hitch but Bristol was a very cute town, what I expected to find(remember I live in Newark). Next I went to Jonesville, I understand that the store there is closing but if you want a town night call Mama Bower B&B, I can't say enough about these people, I hadn't called ahead and was standing in the rain at the local 7-11 or whatever it was, they were full, but Pa Bower(they insist on being called Ma and Pa)came and picked me up, took me to their place, let me use their shower, change into my rain gear to go do laundry down the street while he found me a place to stay, I stayed at a lady named Marions house for like $35 she cooked me an awesome omelet, also Pa gave me a lift to Burlington to get new hiking poles(mine got left on the roof of the car that drove me from Jonesville, genius) I got a very late start the next day and stopped at Duck Brook Shelter which turned out to be one of my favorite shelters. Last resupply was in Johnson, stayed at the Awesome View Hikers Hostel, again amazing people, Alice and Ed. I would suggest that you find a way to call at least a day or two in advance at these places, I didn't and got lucky both times. Also if you need to stay a night at the end Rose Apple Acres B&B was great. Thirty days is plenty of time, I spent way too much time hanging out in the towns and still finished in 28 days. I'm thinking of doing it again this year since it rained 20 of my 28 days, September should be an ideal time, I'm going to have to go in August again, I'm a big NY Jets fan and can't bring myself to miss games(at least till I attempt the AT) Good Luck.

MrClean
06-12-2005, 12:10
I am doing a section hike from Springer MT. to Davenport Gap for SEP 05, looking for partners, would prefer not to go it alone if I can.
MR. Clean

BonzNRio
06-13-2005, 11:09
Cool,I'm from Naples. "Escaped" 5 years ago.Thru hiked in '97.I'm looking to do some miles.I have a Blue Heeler that hikes with me.Let's talk.

Bonzo

LacquerHead
06-13-2005, 12:01
I am looking to start out around the same time as you, basically going northbound, and am going to get a maildrop or two, mostly will stick to going into town to ressuply. I wonder usually what people do in regards to maildrops in the northern portion, and whether getting to a town up there is tougher, how the hitches are and all that. Will be great to see some people out on the trail when I get out there. Anyone wanting to strategize a car situation in regards to Long Trail thru-hike, I am very much down, and you can drop me a note for any reason. Happy hiking.

A-Train
06-13-2005, 15:31
Hope to see some of you out there. I'll probably be headed out around the 7th-8th of Sept, either from Sherburn Pass or the Border. Haven't picked a direction yet.

hawkeye
06-13-2005, 16:43
I am going nobo around mid-Sept. I might have to cut it down to two weeks and see how far I can go. I just might stay on the AT at the split and head for Hanover,NH. That way I can get a bus back to Boston.

Frosty
06-13-2005, 17:53
Hope to see some of you out there. I'll probably be headed out around the 7th-8th of Sept, either from Sherburn Pass or the Border. Haven't picked a direction yet.If you start from the border, you might do well to consider SOBO :)

Bolivershagnasty
06-13-2005, 19:30
I'm trying to get a 10 day hike going around Oct 18th NOBO over the the smokeys and as far as I get. Still trying to find out when and where there may be a WhiteBlaze "moot" so I can hike into it the last day or two. Holla if ya hear me!:clap :welcome

Mags
06-14-2005, 10:58
I'd check out the "End to Ender's guide" for re-supply info.

Going NoBo some of the poopular places are:

Manchester Center: Good grocery store

Inn at Long Trail: Mail Drop via UPS. On the old LT/AT route. Or an easy walk off the curent LT/AT. If closed for the season, Killington has a small PO.

Jonesville: Mail Drop. PO is almost right on the trail

Johnson: Easy hitch into town. Good grocery store

I do not have my LT materials in front of me (and it has been 6 yrs since I did my 2nd LT hike), so some of the details are a bit faded. But the town info is correct overall.

Again, the End to Enders guide it well worth it. You can get it from the Green Mountain Club. http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

JoeHiker
06-14-2005, 16:08
Doing a Long Trail SOBO Hike starting October 12th so I probably won't see you guys (especially that guy who said he's going to be in the "smokeys"!). I've got the End-to-Ender's guide and definitely would recommend it. A lot of very useful information in there. I plan to take it along.

Sly
06-14-2005, 17:16
Not so sure about the supplemental End-to-Enders Guide but I did use the Long Trail Guide which not only had resupply info but maps and trail descriptions.

hawkeye
06-15-2005, 16:38
I got both the guide and the current end to end guide. I joined the Green Mountain Club last year. Can't see sending $$$ to the AMC anymore. I'm going nobo to start off easy and enjoy it. I'll see how far I make it in two weeks. If Imake the Inn at rt4 early I will stay on the AT to Hanover. My hiking friend is being called up August to go to Iraq. Sucks big time. So I am going solo.

rcli4
06-16-2005, 00:05
Looking for any good trail towns to resupply.I have the end to end guide but am looking for some peronal insight. Also anyone going in Sept? I am planning to take 30 days.
folks covered most options We went to the Hydeaway Inn at appalachain Gap. Great folks. We sent a mail drop there. I think it was 30 bucks and included breakfast buffet. One of the best places we stayed.
Clyde

Allez
09-11-2005, 19:45
hello,
i will be doing an end to end on the longtrail and was looking to trvel light which means more food drops. any info on PO addresses or other options would be greatly appreciated.
thank you, safe travels