PDA

View Full Version : Kindle and Trail Life

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 11:55
I'm not nor will I really be converted to an ultra-light weight. I was questioning if anyone here has experience with, or recommends a kindle on the trail. I've never liked the thought of a kindle since the books come at a very minimal price reduction from the hard copy - and if you buy a hard copy you don't get access to it via the kindle.

Regardless, I found myself always carrying a book, so the weight of the kindle wouldn't bother me a bit - especially since it boasts the ability to hold 3500 books.... I do wonder how accurate its "one month battery life without wifi" statement is. Is that one month of continuous "on" or is that one month of an average user's use?

Also -there isn't a "gear/supplies" subtopic - or did I just overlook it?

dragoro
03-01-2011, 11:58
I love my kindle. It's definitely coming with me on the trail. The batteries on them last for ever. They only use power when your turning the page, it takes no power to display the pages.

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 12:15
Okay - is there any possibility of using it to write your journal? That would be a selling ticket for me. Not that I am planning on doing another thru-hike :( But I'm confused at why it has a keyboard? Just for convenience searching the library? No reviews I've read, or technical specifications, list or mention the ability to write. I've never even held one, and just wonder. I'm thinking it has serious potential - but at $140 + the cost of each book, I'd be crazy not to do my research to make sure it is right for me.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2011, 12:16
Ya can't burn a kindle, and I love burning my books as I read them when I'm out. I've burned some truly excellent books over the years, but heck, I got them dirt cheap for next to nothing, so what's the problem? And I guess the purist could go ahead and burn his kindle, just to keep in line with old habits.:)

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 12:22
Whats funny about that Tipi was I just read about your winter trip, #118, and yea that was one of the things that already crossed my mind. However, it does save a slight bit of paper, and thus trees that I like to hike through. As it is the human race is doing a good job at killing this planet. I've done my fair share of helping with that, certainly.

max patch
03-01-2011, 12:42
I wouldn't take my kindle on a thru because I know it would not survive 5 months in the woods with me. YMMV.

Kindle is now so cheap (I paid $400 for my first one) that should it break its not that big a deal. Equivalent to a nano. Breaks ya throw it away and get a new one.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 12:42
Nah kindle wouldn't be good for journaling. Keyboard is basically for searching through you book collection and for searching for books in the kindle store. There is a real basic web browser, but wouldn't dream of doing any major typing.

Ogre
03-01-2011, 13:38
I am bringing my Kindle. The battery life claims are accurate, I believe it would make it through a month using it a couple of hours a day, as long as the wireless is turned off (very important). Not that I've tested it for that long, but it seem plausible from my experience.

I have tested writing emails from it, by going to gmail with the browser. It could theoretically be used to update a journal by email, but it's painful and I am not planning on doing it. The keyboard is just plain bad. And there's no good way to write offline and send it later, you'd have to actually be connected while writing.

I won't be terribly surprised if it doesn't last the whole trail. Don't bring one if that thought bothers you. My attachment to it is more emotional than financial, so I'll be OK with it :) There will likely be yet another price drop sometime later this year too. Someone made a chart recently showing that at the very steady rate the price has dropped since the first version, Amazon will be giving them away by the end of this year. (More likely, they'll give you a free one if you sign up for Amazon Prime, just like they started offering free streaming video for Prime subscribers) And if they do break, you can get your whole library back on the replacement.

fredmugs
03-01-2011, 15:25
I'm bringing mine on my PCT section hike in April. I already have the maps and data book loaded (you can zoom in on the maps too). I would have big reservations taking it for an AT thru hike and keeping it dry. If you can keep it dry take it by all means.

Not only will you have books to read but you can scan pretty much anything and save it as a PDF file and upload it. No need to hump the thru hikers handbook and you can play MP3 files on it as well.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 15:30
I'm bringing mine on my PCT section hike in April. I already have the maps and data book loaded (you can zoom in on the maps too). I would have big reservations taking it for an AT thru hike and keeping it dry. If you can keep it dry take it by all means.

Not only will you have books to read but you can scan pretty much anything and save it as a PDF file and upload it. No need to hump the thru hikers handbook and you can play MP3 files on it as well.

Thats what ziplock bags are made for hehe.

Spogatz
03-01-2011, 16:44
If you get the Kindle with 3G you can even surf the internet on it or get email free.

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 16:55
The keyboard is just plain bad. And there's no good way to write offline and send it later, you'd have to actually be connected while writing.

I'm not sure how bad the keyboard would have to be to stop me from using it, however the requirement of being connected, and using the sub-par browser (from what I've read in reviews) doesn't sound great. Ultimately it isn't a browser, and I am sure it does a great job for it's primary purpose. I was just hoping to push it just a little further without sacrificing battery life.

I would have big reservations taking it for an AT thru hike and keeping it dry. If you can keep it dry take it by all means.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking it because of wetness, that is part of being in the great outdoors... I miss it.

I didn't know you could upload PDF files to it? So anything as a PDF is fair game? This might actually be a selling point for me. Not quite sure I'd jump on the 'lets buy digital books' idea, but I have enough reading material in digital magazines and other papers of interest that I could be happy with this!

If you get the Kindle with 3G you can even surf the internet on it or get email free.

You can _only_ surf the internet/email pending you are in a place that has wifi, right?

Thanks a lot guys for clearing up some of these things!

dragoro
03-01-2011, 17:10
I'm not sure how bad the keyboard would have to be to stop me from using it, however the requirement of being connected, and using the sub-par browser (from what I've read in reviews) doesn't sound great. Ultimately it isn't a browser, and I am sure it does a great job for it's primary purpose. I was just hoping to push it just a little further without sacrificing battery life.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking it because of wetness, that is part of being in the great outdoors... I miss it.

I didn't know you could upload PDF files to it? So anything as a PDF is fair game? This might actually be a selling point for me. Not quite sure I'd jump on the 'lets buy digital books' idea, but I have enough reading material in digital magazines and other papers of interest that I could be happy with this!

You can _only_ surf the internet/email pending you are in a place that has wifi, right?

Thanks a lot guys for clearing up some of these things!

It's a book reader, not an Internet device. You can try an iPad, which I have, which has book reading capabilities, but ill be the first to tell you the battery lif sucks. I'm kinda getting the impression that you just look for reasons to complain.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2011, 17:11
I belive I will buy a Kindle soon. I figure it will be at least as good as the PDA I usually carry on the trail for checking email.

Since the Kindle allows for adding notes to a book, I figure the way to do a journal is to create a blank book in Kindle format, which should be easy enough to do. My only question would be is there a cut and paste feature so that the entries can be transfered to emails?

dragoro
03-01-2011, 17:11
Just buy a laptop and figure a way to charge it.

dragoro
03-01-2011, 17:12
That was meant for blackbird.

Ogre
03-01-2011, 17:22

Yes, you can upload PDFs from a computer to the Kindle via USB, or even just email them, but Amazon does charge a small amount per MB for the email service.

There are two models of Kindle, one with 3G (provided by Sprint), that one will get online anywhere you can get a cell signal. There's no extra charge for that beyond the price of the Kindle. (Some people think the browser is purposefully awful to discourage people from using it this way). The other model only has WiFi.

Ogre
03-01-2011, 17:25
My only question would be is there a cut and paste feature so that the entries can be transfered to emails?

No, there's not, I had that thought too. You can transfer notes to a computer via USB, but I don't think there's any way to get things written offline off of the Kindle without access to a computer.

blackbird04217
03-01-2011, 17:34
It's a book reader, not an Internet device. You can try an iPad, which I have, which has book reading capabilities, but ill be the first to tell you the battery lif sucks. I'm kinda getting the impression that you just look for reasons to complain.

I'm sorry you feel I'm here to complain, but ultimately I feel I'm looking for information, that I haven't found elsewhere. I believe I mentioned that browsing was not it's primary target, and although I may have mentioned that I've read it isn't great at it - I don't see where I said that effected me. If anything the information I've found in this thread has opened my eyes a lot and am seriously considering this.

I don't want an iPad. I want something very good with battery life.

Just buy a laptop and figure a way to charge it.

First, the kindle weighs in at just over 1/2 a pound. Second battery life of even a netbook wouldn't make it suitable for me to be out for long trips.

Brings me to another question- Does the kindle display work at night, I get the idea it doesn't. If not, has anyone tried using it in darkness with a headlamp? That would be interesting to know.

Since the Kindle allows for adding notes to a book, I figure the way to do a journal is to create a blank book in Kindle format, which should be easy enough to do. My only question would be is there a cut and paste feature so that the entries can be transfered to emails?

Hmm this is an interesting thought, anyone confirm/deny or chip in with their thoughts?

No, there's not, I had that thought too. You can transfer notes to a computer via USB, but I don't think there's any way to get things written offline off of the Kindle without access to a computer.

But you can get the notes back in text form once you connect the Kindle through USB? That would be plenty useful for me as a form of trail journal until I got back.

Thanks guys.

Yes, you can upload PDFs from a computer to the Kindle via USB, or even just email them, but Amazon does charge a small amount per MB for the email service.

There are two models of Kindle, one with 3G (provided by Sprint), that one will get online anywhere you can get a cell signal.

Thanks Ogre! That is very interesting to know about the online-ability where the cell signal is. Of course that is spotty - but still better than 'wifi' areas only. I have a feeling in the coming months I may be getting myself one of these.

Kermitt
03-01-2011, 18:53
I've fuond this infromation very interesting thanks. Now I have a question, can you down load the AT maps on a nino? Oh by the way Amazon has kinder for PC down load which mean you donot need to buy a Kinda.

max patch
03-01-2011, 19:19
Oh by the way Amazon has kinder for PC down load which mean you donot need to buy a Kinda.

Thats true, but there is a huge difference between reading off the kindle screen and reading off a computer screen.

Spogatz
03-02-2011, 00:18
I just bought a Kindle last week. it has WiFi and 3G. The internet browser is not the best in the world but it does work and works with the 3G without an additional charge. It is good enough to get to your web mail or to check the weather. The later would come in handy if you can get a signal and are not close to a road.

Bucherm
03-02-2011, 01:47
I

As Dragoro said, if you get the 3G version(which is an additional 50 clams upfront) you can surf the internet where ever there is AT&T 3G exposure, not just Wifi.

And Ogre is wrong, it is not provided by Sprint, it's provided by AT&T. AT&T is even going to start selling them in their brick and mortar stores. Shoot, I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of dedicated e-book readers out there with a 3G radio operate off the AT&T network in the states.

Get the Kindle, it's awesome and has a very long battery life. The web browser is servicable for mobile sites and text heavy sites, and the screen is much easier on the eyes than tablets or computer screens.

As for whether or not a Kindle displays at night...no, it doesn't generate any light. You need a light for it, just like a book.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy210/Ryan_Crierie/KindleLight-3.jpg

Ogre
03-02-2011, 03:32
And Ogre is wrong, it is not provided by Sprint, it's provided by AT&T.

Ah, my bad, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle) says:

"The original Kindle 2 uses CDMA2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000), for use on the Sprint network. The international version uses standard GSM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM) and 3G GSM, enabling it to be used on AT&T's U.S. mobile network and internationally in 100 other countries."

I have a Kindle 2 and didn't realize the new ones were on AT&T.

Bucherm
03-02-2011, 03:43
Ah, my bad, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle) says:

"The original Kindle 2 uses CDMA2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000), for use on the Sprint network. The international version uses standard GSM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM) and 3G GSM, enabling it to be used on AT&T's U.S. mobile network and internationally in 100 other countries."

I have a Kindle 2 and didn't realize the new ones were on AT&T.

The "Kindle 2 International" has been the only version of the Kindle 2 since fall of 2009, I gots mine last spring and it works fine on Euro-Telecoms.

(The image is of a Kindle 3 a friend got).

Ogre
03-02-2011, 04:18
The "Kindle 2 International" has been the only version of the Kindle 2 since fall of 2009, I gots mine last spring and it works fine on Euro-Telecoms.

(The image is of a Kindle 3 a friend got).

Well I don't actually know what I have then. I got a Kindle 2 when they first came out. That one was Sprint for sure. But the screen broke somewhere around that fall... covered by warranty (And the service was excellent), so they might have replaced it with an AT&T one and I wouldn't have even known it.

I'm sure I can find it in the menus somewhere. I don't think I care :)

Bucherm
03-02-2011, 04:45
Well I don't actually know what I have then. I got a Kindle 2 when they first came out. That one was Sprint for sure. But the screen broke somewhere around that fall... covered by warranty (And the service was excellent), so they might have replaced it with an AT&T one and I wouldn't have even known it.

I'm sure I can find it in the menus somewhere. I don't think I care :)

They probably pulled an older CDMA one out that was still in inventory to hook you up. :)

jima59
03-02-2011, 07:31
On the trail you would need the 3g model which is more expensive. the lesser priced model only has wifi which could be used in town. Keyboard is hard to use for anything beyond searching or adding brief reviews. Love our kindles but wouldnt take them on the trail with the damp weather.

TheChop
03-02-2011, 14:48
Cripe there's a lot of people talking about the Kindle and either don't have one or haven't used one on the trail.

Took my new Kindle on the Foothills trail. Kindle 3.

The screen is not backlit which is why it gets such great battery life. I read most of a Vonnegut book on mine with a head lamp. It's more or less exactly like a paper book. The battery life is just as advertised. The Kindle only uses power when changing the screen. When you turn it off it actually just changes the screen to a static image of an author or something and disables the buttons. The battery life is measured more accurately in page flips.

You can transfer PDFs for free onto the Kindle as long as it's through Wi-Fi or through the USB cable. There is a charge per MB to have Amazon send it over the 3G wireless. You're not paying for the conversion just for the bandwidth over the cell network. I use Calibre on my Mac to transfer PDFs. Might have downloaded some ebooks from some places with questionable legal backing to upload to the Kindle. Read Harry Potter 7 completely and reading through Hemmingway short stories currently.

Have the 2010 Companion and AWOL's AT Guide on the Kindle as well. Works well enough to use at night in the tent for next day planning purposes.

Kindle screen did crack the last night. I believe it was laying flat on my tent floor and I pushed myself off on it without noticing. Kept it wrapped in my sleeping bag inside a dry sack at other times. Not sure if it was broken by me pushing off on it or from sitting on my pack. Either way I bought a case for it and am going to try that. Amazon replaced it for free with very little questions asked. They make money from selling ebooks not hardware.

There are also numerous little games you can get to keep yourself amused. As far as note taking there are a few apps for it but it's apparently a pain the butt but I haven't personally tried that.

desertnomad
03-04-2011, 13:20
Sort of off topic but my wife took her nook on an 800-mile stretch of the AT last year and did not have any problems at all. She kept it in a sea to summit TPU case.

griztrax
03-10-2011, 01:58
I love my Kindle! I'm an avid reader and can't imagine going on a long bp trip without something to read, especially if I'm hiking solo. On longer trips, it was often hard to keep enough reading material to keep my happy, but with the Kindle, I can take a whole freakin' library with me. You definitely need some light to read at night, just like with a paper book. The optional cover with the included LED book light is a good buy, though a little pricy. I imagine that there will soon be lots of protective covers available at Wally World, etc. that will offer good watertight protection on the trail. For now, I put it in a padded hard case and a ziplock. The battery life is incredible - it just goes and goes and goes.
It's also worth checking out the freebie books that are available. I found some great journals from back in the 1800s that I got for free. Several of Teddy Roosevelt's books are available, along with Mark Twain and many others. Good reading for a night (or many nights) on the trail.

Powder River
03-10-2011, 09:05
On the trail you would need the 3g model which is more expensive. the lesser priced model only has wifi which could be used in town. Keyboard is hard to use for anything beyond searching or adding brief reviews. Love our kindles but wouldnt take them on the trail with the damp weather.

You don't need the 3G version for the trail. Internet is only needed to download books. You could do that via wifi every couple
of days in towns. The thing will hold hundreds of books in it's memory. If you need the internets more frequently than that, then you're not hiking fast enough.