PDA

View Full Version : shoe size change during a hike?

buttah
01-09-2005, 03:00
I've read alot about the noted increase in shoe size over the length of a thru hike. This makes sense, but poses a bit of a problem for me. I am planning on buying all of my footwear before I leave from Springer. Right now I wear size 12. I anticipate going thru at least three pairs of my light hiking shoes before Katahdin. I have two questions:

a) Should I buy all three pairs of shoes in size 12, or buy one or both of the later pairs in the larger size (13) in anticipation of my foot getting bigger?

b) Should I break in all three pairs of shoes before I leave so they will be good to go once they are mailed to me, or should I wear them in once I get them (with a bigger foot)?

I'd appreciate any advice on the subject-comfortable shoes seem to be the most important item for a hike, and I want to make sure they fit throughout the hike.

Mountain Dew
01-09-2005, 03:08
Is this the same Buttah that thru-hiked in '03 ?

orangebug
01-09-2005, 07:44
If you buy all three now, can you return any of them when you decide they suck?

I'd buy the best shoes that work for you today, but only one pair. When you get to Damascus for TrailDays, go to Phil Orens' exhibit and get refitted for boots/shoes. You will be in a better position to know what happens to you and your feet.

PKH
01-09-2005, 08:37
You can't really predict if and by how much your shoe size will vary. In my case, I went from a 2E to 4E, but otherwise remained a size 9. Take a single pair of the best fitting shoes you can find, and reassess along the trail. There are many trail towns along the route.

Cheers,

PKH

MOWGLI
01-09-2005, 09:08
a) Should I buy all three pairs of shoes in size 12, or buy one or both of the later pairs in the larger size (13) in anticipation of my foot getting bigger?

b) Should I break in all three pairs of shoes before I leave so they will be good to go once they are mailed to me, or should I wear them in once I get them (with a bigger foot)?

A couple of things. I hear all kinds of reports about foot size increases. During my hike, I thought it was happening too. I had excrutiating pain in my feet for 600 miles that I attributed to fallen arches. I had to take my boots off every 55 minutes like clockwork. Turns out, the pain was from wearing the wrong boots. My feet were size 13 when I started, and size 13 when I finished. That's my experience.

Now, you ask a couple of questions and emphasize that you'll be using "light hiking shoes".

a) Based on my experience, IMO you should not purchase more than the pair of boots you are starting with. You don't know what is going to happen to your feet. You also might want to switch to something like New Balance trail runners along the way. If you decide to purchase your boots ahead of time... What if you determine they are not the right boots after walking 500 miles?

b) I switched from full grain leather boots near Daleville, and went to a lighter weight Garmont boot. Since my wife was with me visiting, I slackpacked 11 miles the first day I switched boots, out of concern for blisters. I didn't get one blister with the new boots. When those shoes fell apart in New York (sole delaminated) I got another pair and had no problems at all. I put 'em on, and rock & rolled with a series of 5 or 6 consecutive 20-mile days. In my experience, if your feet are fairly "normal" (no problems that require orthotics) then lightweight boots do not usually require much - if any -break in. The key is getting a good fit.

I hope that helps.

Little Bear

Dharma
01-09-2005, 10:43
I'd buy the best shoes that work for you today, but only one pair. When you get to Damascus for TrailDays, go to Phil Orens' exhibit and get refitted for boots/shoes. You will be in a better position to know what happens to you and your feet.Good advice.

I had midweight boots to start with and bought some Garmont shoes in Hot Springs that were a half-size bigger. My toes were getting crowded and my heel was slipping, ever so slightly, giving me blisters. I reevaluated again in Damascus at Phil Orens' booth. I didn't buy any shoes from him (he said I should be in a half size smaller shoe... that was painfull... said, no thanks) but did learn a lot and bought some nice custom insoles to correct pronation in my step.

I had a replacement pair of Garmonts (www.trailjournals.com/photos/1476/tj1476_092804_125845.jpg) sent to me in Vernon, NJ. They fit then, but my toes again protested in Manchester Center, VT where I bought a third pair of Garmonts (a half-size larger). These I wore the rest of the way.

If you can, buy as you go and get shoes that need no break-in time.

Peaks
01-09-2005, 11:15
Short answer: buy a replacement pair of boots when you need them. Principal reasons are that your shoe size may or may not change. If it does change, no way to predict exactly how much. Second, you may want something different from what you start with.

As far as break-in goes, I think it's more important to condition your feet. In my case, I got a new pair of boots in Gorham. I took them right out of the box and right onto the trail. I continued on to Katahdin without any blisters or other problems. Then, I put them in the closet until next spring when I went to Georgia. This time I got blisters. So,the lesson learned is just because my boots were broken in with more than 300 miles on them, my feet were no longer in condition.

SalParadise
01-09-2005, 12:58
Shoe fitters will tell you that your feet growing is due to your arches falling and feet flattening out, and that if you have the proper pair of insoles, your feet won't grow at all.

rocket04
01-09-2005, 14:59
I second some of the posts above, stick to buying one pair of shoes to start with. A lot of things can happen and you could be stuck with 2 extra pairs of shoes you don't want.

Pooja Blue
01-09-2005, 19:06
Buy a size up. You can always wear extra socks or put a Dr. Scholl's pad or two in them. Feet swell more during the hot summer months, too.

I bought four pairs of walking shoes before my hike and put 15-25 miles on each pair, then had them sent to me in my mail drops. Worked out great. One pair of NB1122s lasted about 440 miles. For the fifth pair I wore NB963s, which I had broken in during my time at home during the summer when I was recovering from a foot injury. They worked great, too.

I was told before my hike that if you wear custom orthotics (the "real" kind you get from a physical therapist or a podiatrist, not from a shoe store clerk), your foot won't grow. That wasn't exactly true, my foot got a little wider, although they were wide to begin with.

Divining Rod
01-09-2005, 20:22
Like many others I am starting with one pair and will pick up any along the trail if I need them. The ones I have now are my favorite as far as comfort and durablity although I may need to switch to a lighter pair down the trail.

SalParadise
01-09-2005, 20:31
no, I wouldn't recommend getting shoes a size bigger, you'll get a million blisters. I tried that idea and it was terrible. I also tried wearing a second pair of socks and that didn't really help, either.

Freighttrain
01-09-2005, 22:31
my feet grew 1 1/2 sizes up to a 13 during my hike.... its been three years and they are still 13's

01-10-2005, 00:56
I sugest getting evaluated for a good pair for insoles. Below is phil's web sites. There are places all over that can make custom superfeet. you may not need custom insoles but I would get a pair of superfeet. Good insole will prevent the foot from spreading.

www.fitsystembyphiloren.com

swamp dawg
01-10-2005, 01:09
I wear a 12 in street shoes but when it come to the trail I buy a 13. When you put on wool socks, a 13 feels so much better at the end of a long day. Boots are made on different last so asian made boots tend to be a bit more wide and euro boots tend to be a bit narrow. Try boots on late in the day when your feet are at their widest and be sure to wear your trail socks.
Life is good on the trail...Swamp Dawg