PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam area to Clingman's Dome in TN?

mjones
03-01-2011, 15:59
I know it depends on many different factors, but does anyone have an estimate on how many days it takes to complete this section hike? Also, how many miles are between the two? Thanks for any input!

Storm
03-01-2011, 16:12
Looks like 32.4 miles, I'd say 2 to three days depending on how fast you hike.

rustmd
03-01-2011, 16:13
http://www.atdist.com/

This is very helpful for calculating AT distances.

dottie

Storm
03-01-2011, 16:14
Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome

mjones
03-01-2011, 16:51
Thank you both!

wounded_knee
03-01-2011, 17:06
A word of caution. Coming out of Fontana to there is a great deal of elevation change. Also it happens very quickly right out of Fontana. Take a few minutes and enjoy the view from Shuckstack!

Llama Legs
03-01-2011, 17:24
I would highly recommend making that run SOBO. That would make it very pleasant - and easy to plan for shelter stops. The climb out of Fontana is "White Mountains" tough.

Praha4
03-01-2011, 18:27
that's a very scenic section, with awesome views at Rocky Top and the ridgeline heading toward Clingmans Dome. Several nice shelters along that stretch also.

elmotoots
03-01-2011, 18:30
I would highly recommend making that run SOBO. That would make it very pleasant - and easy to plan for shelter stops. The climb out of Fontana is "White Mountains" tough.

I agree

Three days and two nights would make this a really nice hike.

Four days and three nights would make this a real walk in the park.

have fun !!!!

ChinMusic
03-01-2011, 18:35
I know it depends on many different factors, but does anyone have an estimate on how many days it takes to complete this section hike? Also, how many miles are between the two? Thanks for any input!
I did it in 3 days and would have slowed down to 4 days had the weather been better. My comfort range for a section on the southern AT is 7-12 miles/day, coming straight from flatland Illinois.

edit: Sorry, I read Fontana to NFG. 3 days is fine.

Star Walker
03-01-2011, 19:29
i woulde say 4 days but thats only because i like takin it easy : )

Jedeye
03-01-2011, 19:55
Yeah, SOBO would be a pretty good way to go. While finishing at Clingman's Dome would be a little more spectacular, Fontana Dam is still a interesting place to finish, and shower!

fredmugs
03-02-2011, 14:25

Really? It's a big boulder field like Mt Washington? It took me 10 hours to do the 13 miles downhill to whatever notch that is. Is it really that hard? I plan on going SOBO through GSMNP in May. I also plan on doing the 28.2 miles between Silers Bald and the Visitors center my last day.

Or is it really just a steep climb up a lovely trail like coming out of the NOC?

ChinMusic
03-02-2011, 15:04
Or is it really just a steep climb up a lovely trail like coming out of the NOC?
Kinda like the climb out of NOC in duration, but not even that bad. No nasty steep spots if I remember right. Well graded.

fredmugs
03-02-2011, 15:15
That's what I thought. The NOC climb is cake.

wornoutboots
03-02-2011, 15:58
I just did that section in October, 4 days to leizurely get to the Fontana Hilton, from New Found Gap, 3 days from Clingman's

ChinMusic
03-02-2011, 17:18
That's what I thought. The NOC climb is cake.

I would not consider either to be "cake". That can give newbies the wrong impression of what they are getting in to.

Both NOC and the Fontana are long sustained climbs. Unless you are in very good shape they will slow you down. If you are just coming off the couch they could wear you out and make for a VERY long day.

Fontana to Mollies would be a rough day for me, but doable.

bflorac
03-03-2011, 02:35
I did it in three days (to Mt Collin Shelter). However, the hike from Fontana to Mollies Ridge Shelter is a real beast unless you already have your sea legs under you (I didn't). Be aware as you appoach Clingmans as there are a few trails that intersect and can easily take the wrong one.

Six-Six
03-03-2011, 07:43
I did the same stretch last spring. I went SoBo after looking at the elevation change out of Fontana for the same reasons everyone has already mentioned. It took me three days. One word of caution though - the southward downhill to Fontana is tough on the joints if you are hurrying to finish. Leave some time for a leisure hike down that hill. I was hurting for weeks afterwards = joints, not muscles. Enjoy.

Roots
03-03-2011, 09:13
I have hiked this section both NOBO and SOBO and HIGHLY suggest hiking it SOBO. Much easier and enjoyable. IMO the climb out of Fontana is a gradual accent, compariable to the one out of NOC. I believe the one out of NOC to have a few more 'tough' parts, but not too bad. Enjoy!:sun

Kerosene
03-03-2011, 09:14
One word of caution though - the southward downhill to Fontana is tough on the jointsThat's why I'll be covering this section NOBO. I'd much rather climb at a steady, sustained grade than abuse my knees for that length of time. Of course, the NOBO descent into Davenport Gap is about the same.

fredmugs
03-04-2011, 12:07
I would not consider either to be "cake". That can give newbies the wrong impression of what they are getting in to.

Both NOC and the Fontana are long sustained climbs. Unless you are in very good shape they will slow you down. If you are just coming off the couch they could wear you out and make for a VERY long day.

Fontana to Mollies would be a rough day for me, but doable.

NOC to Fontama Dam: 29.4 miles in 13 hours. At no point did I have to stop climbing out of the NOC because it was too hard. It's not The Priest by any stretch.

Ox97GaMe
03-04-2011, 18:51
Depending on what sort of shape you are in and how many miles you can do in a day. The issue is that there arent many options as far as different ways to slice this thing. You are almost committed to spending your second night at Derrick Knob. so you need to decide if you want the first day, or the second day to be your longer day. Neither will be an easy day. the third day from Derrick to Clingman's is manageable, except that day 1 and 2 could have you feeling pretty weak.

If possible, I would suggest this itinery....
Day 1: Fontana to Russell Field
Day 2: Russell Field to Derrick Knob
Day 3: Derrick Knob to Clingman's

Although.. the sunset from Spence is pretty nice, if you are up to hiking that extra 3 miles (gradual uphill) on day 1. This would also give you the option of attempting to get to Siler's Bald the second night for another sunset and give you an easier (5 miles) exit on day 3 or the option to hike the additional 7 miles over to NewFound Gap.

Have a great time in the park.

Ox97GaMe
03-04-2011, 18:56
Also note that NOBO, your biggest climbs will be out of Fontana, out of Ekanetlee Gap, over Thunderhead, and up Mt Buckley. That is not to say there arent other climbs that will get your attention, but those will be your most memorable (or miserable).

Llama Legs
03-04-2011, 20:00
Really? It's a big boulder field like Mt Washington? It took me 10 hours to do the 13 miles downhill to whatever notch that is. Is it really that hard? I plan on going SOBO through GSMNP in May. I also plan on doing the 28.2 miles between Silers Bald and the Visitors center my last day.

Fair enough. Certainly not as technical as the hardest parts of the Whites.

Blissful
03-04-2011, 20:58
SOBO is nice. Just take it easy. It's not that steep going downhill. (!) Not compared to other places AT-wise.!

Blissful
03-04-2011, 21:04
Depending on what sort of shape you are in and how many miles you can do in a day. The issue is that there arent many options as far as different ways to slice this thing. You are almost committed to spending your second night at Derrick Knob. so you need to decide if you want the first day, or the second day to be your longer day. Neither will be an easy day. the third day from Derrick to Clingman's is manageable, except that day 1 and 2 could have you feeling pretty weak.

If possible, I would suggest this itinery....
Day 1: Fontana to Russell Field
Day 2: Russell Field to Derrick Knob
Day 3: Derrick Knob to Clingman's

Although.. the sunset from Spence is pretty nice, if you are up to hiking that extra 3 miles (gradual uphill) on day 1. This would also give you the option of attempting to get to Siler's Bald the second night for another sunset and give you an easier (5 miles) exit on day 3 or the option to hike the additional 7 miles over to NewFound Gap.

Have a great time in the park.

I would never do a 13 miler fresh out of the house the first day in the Smokies loaded with food, personally.

I'd do it this way

Day One: Mollies Ridge
Day Two: Derrick Knob
Day Three: Clingman

Blissful
03-04-2011, 21:11

Fredmugs you're just a workhorse and just love punishment. Anyone who thinks the NOC stretch to Fontana is a piece of cake is plain loco. I have done it both NOBO and SOBO (and having done it after 1500 miles) and it still stunk, imo. Not everyone hikes (or has the knees or grunts) like you do. :D:cool:

Blissful
03-04-2011, 21:16
Fair enough. Certainly not as technical as the hardest parts of the Whites.

it isn't "technical" granted, but those with weak knees, zippo trail legs and loaded with food will think its tough nonetheless. Plus coping with the unpredictable Smokies weather.
Esp NOBO starting a thru - to talk about the Whites or Maine, you might as well be talking about Pluto. Way too distant. What's the issue is what is before you. And the first part of the Smokies NOBO is tough, and I thought, kind of boring. After Clingman's Dome its great.

Ox97GaMe
03-05-2011, 13:29
Fontana to Russell is an easier 13 than from Mollies to Derrick (proposed second day). But, it is all a matter of preference. Hikers have the choice of stopping at Mollies, Russell, or Spence on day one, depending on how they are feeling on that first day.

Also, there have been 3 relocations that have been put in between Mollies and Spence in the past 5 years, so that stretch is a lot easier than it used to be. In my opinion, the stretch between Spence and Derrick is one of the more grueling sections of AT in the park. Just a constant roller coaster with short, steep climbs in addition to the climb over Thunderhead.

ChinMusic
03-05-2011, 14:07
NOC to Fontama Dam: 29.4 miles in 13 hours. At no point did I have to stop climbing out of the NOC because it was too hard. It's not The Priest by any stretch.
Congratulations. I doubt that only a small percentage of hikers can do that.

Telling potential newbies this serves no purpose without a reference point. That is probably one of the harder AT sections in the southern half.

I did that section in a comfortable 3 days. 2 would have been a serious push. My comfort zone is 7-12 miles/day on the southern AT.

10-K
03-05-2011, 14:58
That's why I'll be covering this section NOBO. I'd much rather climb at a steady, sustained grade than abuse my knees for that length of time. Of course, the NOBO descent into Davenport Gap is about the same.

For sure...

I'd rather hike into GSMNP on the AT from Fontana than Davenport Gap.

I hiked the Smokies SOBO and I think that's the only time I literally hiked uphill all day long.

10-K
03-05-2011, 15:02

Not sure how this compares but I had a cheeseburger at NOC which means I was there at lunchtime and stopped about 6 miles short of Fontana dam that evening.

It wasn't nearly as tough as I'd heard.

Ya'll gotta make things so hard.... :)

fredmugs
03-05-2011, 16:55
Fredmugs you're just a workhorse and just love punishment. Anyone who thinks the NOC stretch to Fontana is a piece of cake is plain loco. I have done it both NOBO and SOBO (and having done it after 1500 miles) and it still stunk, imo. Not everyone hikes (or has the knees or grunts) like you do. :D:cool:

Thanks! You made my day.

I actually blew out my knee on my second AT hike in Maine. Lots and lots of exercise bike hours later I have no knee problems at all.

No rocks + no roots + no mud = cake. I attack every climb.

mjones
03-05-2011, 19:24
Thank you all very much for your insight. After reading this thread, we are headin' Southbound! Appreciate all the rec's on places to stop and camp for the night along the way. I'm actually hitting the trail this coming Thursday. Many thanks! :D

Llama Legs
03-05-2011, 21:09
Thank you all very much for your insight. After reading this thread, we are headin' Southbound! Appreciate all the rec's on places to stop and camp for the night along the way. I'm actually hitting the trail this coming Thursday. Many thanks! :D

Awesome and have a great time!

Last year on the trail in the stretch 10 to 15 miles north of Fontana, I encountered 6 bear. Most were hiding high up in the trees, climbed down and ran away. That was summer, so I'm not sure about right now. Keep your camera handy!

PR Man
03-05-2011, 22:32
That is a beautiful stretch. I did it last year - took 3 days ( lots of uphill )

One of my favorite stretches of trail is just south of Clingmans Dome - truly ridge walking.

Have fun !

shimkus
03-05-2011, 23:39
I hiked from Fontana to nantahala outpost in 3 days 2 nights. It about killed me and my buddy. Awsome vistas but killer elevation changes. Cheha (sp) was big and a cold front came through on the last night and made us wish we had more food.

Outa shape and heavy packs, big hills - tough.

double j
03-07-2011, 23:00
fontana to clingmans dome took me 2 days its not as bad as people let on . if it were easy everybody would do it