PDA

View Full Version : US19 (Elk Park) to Damacus April 23-27 Question

Litefoot937
03-01-2011, 16:33
We are looking to do a section hike from US19 (Elk Park) to Damacus at the end of April. We realize this will be a busy time for the thru hikers but don't know how busy. If we plan to use the shelters will we be adding to an over use problem? Should we plan on avoiding the shelters and using our tent?

Our dates are set due to having to be in Gatlinburg on the 28th.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Lone Wolf
03-01-2011, 17:37
it will be very crowded. use your tent unless you like being squeezed together. the shelters are first come, first served

moldy
03-02-2011, 10:35
1. You have as much right to use the shelter as anyone.
2. This will in fact be near the peak of the pack of NOBO thru-hikers.
3. One way to improve odds in a shelter is to get up early and get to a shelter early.
4. Bring a tent and plan on using it.
5. When you get to a shelter with space, roll out your pad and bag right away to reserve a space.
6. Be aware that many thru-hikers have bonded by this time will be formed up in social groups that may hike as individuals or pairs but usually camp together.
7. While uncommon, this has been known to happen: The group sometimes sends a fast hiker who leaves early and will stake out a shelter by spreading all his equipment over the floor of a shelter. His tent will look like a sleeping pad, his bag will take up a spot, his ground cloth, sleeping bag, clothing. If questioned he will say that the shelter is full and all those space are occupied by fellow hikers who have hiked up the mountain to take pictures etc. I have seen this trick done at poorly supervised hostels.
8. The shelters at this location at this time of year are full of noisy people and mice. I try to set up my tent at least a half mile away.

Namaste
03-02-2011, 10:44
I would stealth camp especially after reading Moldy's response:)

Litefoot937
03-02-2011, 19:41
Thanks for the responses. We will use our tents and leave the space for others.