PDA

View Full Version : White House Landing Camps in Maine for sale

Everyday Hiker
03-01-2011, 18:17
White House Landing, a mile off the A.T. in Maine's"100-mile wilderness" is for sale. The owners, Bill & Linda Ware, would like to sell it to hikers or make sure it stays hiker-friendly.

The owners note the camp has access to "whitewater rafting, biking trails galore, and winter buisness,whether it be snow mobile, cross country skiing, and dog sleds, etc. We have 2 large vegetable gardens, fruit trees, and the biggest blackberry bushes you will ever see. Our house is completly solar with wind mill and solar panels. lots of rose bushes and lilacs."

The website is www.whitehouselanding.com (http://www.whitehouselanding.com). Email is [email protected].

Everyday Hiker
03-01-2011, 18:23
Bill & Linda Ware can be reached by cell phone at (207) 745-5116.

Uncas10
03-01-2011, 18:26
I stayed there last year and really liked it. Will you guys be open this summer?

Everyday Hiker
03-01-2011, 19:05
They will be returning to Maine in early May and will be open this summer.

Cookerhiker
03-01-2011, 19:55
I wish Bill & Linda well. Enjoyed my stay there in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117259) and I hope whoever buys it continues to make WH Landing available to hikers.

Jeff
03-01-2011, 20:24
Those cheeseburgers Linda makes are legendary. Hopefully the tradition will continue !!

Blissful
03-01-2011, 20:53
Was there this past summer, great folks and wow what a burger and pizza.

OliveOil
03-01-2011, 21:19
That place saved me in the 100 mile wilderness in '09.

Phreak
03-01-2011, 21:20
Wish I could snatch up this place.

SouthMark
03-01-2011, 22:20
We stayed there this past August. It was great. The cheeseburger and the pizza were awesome. And of course the pancake breakfast was superb. I wish Bill and Linda the best.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2011, 22:53
Wish I could snatch up this place.
me too!
stayed in 99' & 02'
in 03' stopped in for lunch and pushed on:eek: how stupid was that:o

camp mom
03-02-2011, 13:34
First of all we would like to thank all the hikers we have had the pleasure to meet over the past 13 years.This decision to sell was not an easy one.WHL has been the best experience of our lives and will be missed for the rest of our lives.The biggest factor in our decision is the education of our son Ben.Year round schooling is a must for him to be able to achieve his dreams,whatever they may be.Showing up two months late won't cut it.Especially as highschool nears.We want WHL to remain a hiker oriented business just like it has been since 1999 and during the early days of the AT in the 30's and 40's.We will be open this season and maybe the next who knows how long it may take to find the right buyer.an appraisal will be done this spring when we return from Florida.That way we will have an idea of a price that will work for us.Again thanks to all our hiker freinds who have made the place so enjoyable for us.

wornoutboots
03-02-2011, 16:06
So do you live there year round??

Chomp09
08-04-2013, 15:56
Any update on this, is the property still on the market? If so, what asking price was determined?

TD55
08-04-2013, 18:29
We ordered a pizza and Linda sent Bill out to the garden to pick fresh veggies for the toppings. I know some places claim "fresh ingredients", but when you see the dough being made from scratch and the topping being put on that were picked from the vine 3 minutes ago, that is fresh.

Datto
08-10-2013, 18:05
Best pizza I had on the Trail was at White House Landing -- Bear and I stayed there finishing our AT thru-hikes in the latter half of a very cold October.

Datto

Double Wide
08-10-2013, 18:36
Hiker friendly?

No, you can't charge your phone, and no, you can't eat unless you pay for an overnight.

Just reporting what my SOBO friends are telling me.

SouthMark
08-10-2013, 18:46
Yes you can charge your phone or more accurately Linda will take it to thee house and charge it at night for you. And you can eat if you are not staying the night. For those staying the night breakfast is included in the price. This is how it was in 2010 when I was there.

Hiker friendly?

No, you can't charge your phone, and no, you can't eat unless you pay for an overnight.

Just reporting what my SOBO friends are telling me.

SouthMark
08-10-2013, 18:48
I would like to add that it was as hiker friendly as any other place that I stopped.

yellowsirocco
08-10-2013, 18:50
Yes you can charge your phone or more accurately Linda will take it to thee house and charge it at night for you. And you can eat if you are not staying the night. For those staying the night breakfast is included in the price. This is how it was in 2010 when I was there.

Maybe it depends on who you ask? The wife is very friendly, but the husband can be a bit of a dick if you are not staying the night and dropping some cash. I've noticed this pattern from personal experience and talking to other hikers on the trail.

Shutterbug
08-10-2013, 18:58
Maybe it depends on who you ask? The wife is very friendly, but the husband can be a bit of a dick if you are not staying the night and dropping some cash. I've noticed this pattern from personal experience and talking to other hikers on the trail. I have heard others say that Bill was grouchy, but that was not my experience. I have stayed there twice. Both times Bill and Linda were very friendly. They went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable.

hikerboy57
08-10-2013, 19:11
keep in mind the just like Ron Haven they've had to put up with their share of entitled dicks too.
I stayed there last year and had a great time they were warm and friendly

No Directions
08-10-2013, 19:34
Nice looking place. I hope it is still open when I finally make it that far. I would love to spend a few days there.

SouthMark
08-10-2013, 19:50
I am reminded of the story of two brothers moving to a new community. The first went on a day ahead to find a place to live and met a old man on the outskirts of town. He asked the man what were the people like in this new town. The man asked him what were they like where he came from. He replied that he did not much care for most of them. That they were not very friendly and were often dickheads. The old man said that he would find the people here pretty much the same. The next day the second brother came alone and repeated the same question. When the old man asked him about the people where he came from he replied that they were very nice and he had a lot a friends there. And the old man said that he would find the people here the same.

SouthMark
08-10-2013, 19:53
Nice looking place. I hope it is still open when I finally make it that far. I would love to spend a few days there.

When I stopped there on my SOBO of the 100 mw, there was couple staying there that had just finished a three lake canoe/camping trip in the area. Sounded like fun and I would like to go back and try that myself.

hikerboy57
08-10-2013, 20:15
I am reminded of the story of two brothers moving to a new community. The first went on a day ahead to find a place to live and met a old man on the outskirts of town. He asked the man what were the people like in this new town. The man asked him what were they like where he came from. He replied that he did not much care for most of them. That they were not very friendly and were often dickheads. The old man said that he would find the people here pretty much the same. The next day the second brother came alone and repeated the same question. When the old man asked him about the people where he came from he replied that they were very nice and he had a lot a friends there. And the old man said that he would find the people here the same.
+1 :)

Jeff
08-11-2013, 06:06

Some policies have changed recently at Whitehouse Landing. AWOL posted this on Facebook just a couple of weeks ago:

There are some changes to White House Landing's prices and policies: All stays now include breakfast and dinner. Bunkroom $59, semi-private $69. Meals (including lunch) are for overnight guests only.

SouthMark
08-11-2013, 09:42
Some policies have changed recently at Whitehouse Landing. AWOL posted this on Facebook just a couple of weeks ago:

There are some changes to White House Landing's prices and policies: All stays now include breakfast and dinner. Bunkroom $59, semi-private $69. Meals (including lunch) are for overnight guests only.

Based on this, and if you have the guide and know this, you would have no reason to stop at WHL unless you were going to overnight. Therefore no reason to complain about the treatment if not overnighting.

Sly
08-11-2013, 09:51
Based on this, and if you have the guide and know this, you would have no reason to stop at WHL unless you were going to overnight. Therefore no reason to complain about the treatment if not overnighting.

I believe they still sell supplies.

atmilkman
08-11-2013, 09:59

This is good.

JustaTouron
08-11-2013, 11:10

Outstanding.

Fur Queue
08-11-2013, 11:41
It is a buisness, they fiercely defend their interests....and it is clear and obvious that all the policies they run have evolved from easily imaginable experiences...We had to get a car in to get people out, they did everything in their power to make this appear as next to impossible, highly dangerous and incredibly complicated...to the extent of not even providing an actual address!!!..and my phone was dead and there is no recharging there...ultimately our driver had to find the directions via a 2008 snowmobiling forum posting and drove straight there no problem, saving us the $300 they wanted to get us to the nearest town....if you view your stay through that buisness filter and accept that they have been dicked around by all and sundry over the years it is an excellent and an unbelievably refreshing respite from the wilderness. I was pleasantly surprised at free shampoo, body wash and a towel....would have happily paid ten even twenty dollars extra for that....

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2013, 12:02
Fur sorry, I read it ... and I have to say the post is unclear above.. There are some assumptions in that post that I am not understanding. Maybe you didn't ask the right questions... clearly it was complicated.

Fur Queue
08-11-2013, 12:05
Fur sorry, I read it ... and I have to say the post is unclear above.. There are some assumptions in that post that I am not understanding. Maybe you didn't ask the right questions... clearly it was complicated.

What assumptions are unclear? What questions do you think we didn't ask?

TD55
08-11-2013, 13:47
What assumptions are unclear? What questions do you think we didn't ask?

It's a wildnerness camp without road access. Sounds like you thought you were entitled to road access. Don't know how it is now, but in the past the road into the camp was a private gated road. WHL had very limited access to it's use. Believe they went through alot of legal issue's and fights. Maybe that is why it was complicated and they didn't deem it necessary to explain it. What part of we don't have road access did you not understand? Sounds like you ignored them and had your driver drive a vehical to the camp anyhow.

Fur Queue
08-11-2013, 14:36
It's a wildnerness camp without road access. Sounds like you thought you were entitled to road access. Don't know how it is now, but in the past the road into the camp was a private gated road. WHL had very limited access to it's use. Believe they went through alot of legal issue's and fights. Maybe that is why it was complicated and they didn't deem it necessary to explain it. What part of we don't have road access did you not understand? Sounds like you ignored them and had your driver drive a vehical to the camp anyhow.

You couldn't be more wrong with YOUR assumptions. We simply requested the address and were refused it, diverted from it, and advised that it was all but impossible. We had already ascertained that the rout to the actual camp was gated and simply wanted to secure a meeting place at the nearest PUBLIC access point which was a half to a mile walk from the camp..we were told the roads were dangerous and impassable in places...NONE OF THIS WAS EVEN REMOTELY TRUE!...make of that what you will and stick it up your backpack...

TD55
08-11-2013, 19:47
You couldn't be more wrong with YOUR assumptions. We simply requested the address and were refused it, diverted from it, and advised that it was all but impossible. We had already ascertained that the rout to the actual camp was gated and simply wanted to secure a meeting place at the nearest PUBLIC access point which was a half to a mile walk from the camp..we were told the roads were dangerous and impassable in places...NONE OF THIS WAS EVEN REMOTELY TRUE!...make of that what you will and stick it up your backpack...

It sounds like you were trying to use WHL as a bail out or access point on the 100 Mile Wilderness. The only way I've ever known that could be done is by boat from WHL to the other end of the lake. It also sounds like you disregarded the effect of having WHL guest use the private road, even to walk on. They didn't want you to trespass on private property that gives them and only them access to their home and business. They could not order you not to use the road but it sounds like they tried to get you not to use it. Basicly you are coming on here calling Bill and Linda liars because you are disgruntled about not being given the entitlement of a special made for you access point to the 100 Mile Wilderness section of the Appalacian Trail.

Fur Queue
08-11-2013, 20:26
It sounds like you were trying to use WHL as a bail out or access point on the 100 Mile Wilderness. The only way I've ever known that could be done is by boat from WHL to the other end of the lake. It also sounds like you disregarded the effect of having WHL guest use the private road, even to walk on. They didn't want you to trespass on private property that gives them and only them access to their home and business. They could not order you not to use the road but it sounds like they tried to get you not to use it. Basicly you are coming on here calling Bill and Linda liars because you are disgruntled about not being given the entitlement of a special made for you access point to the 100 Mile Wilderness section of the Appalacian Trail.

I'd already paid to be on the private property....and excuse me for feeling entitled to be told exactly where we were so that we could implement our own exit strategy and allow a serious injury to be addressed....I'm not disgruntled in any way...found the whole thing mildly amusing and slightly creepy like some teen horror movie plot...should have seen their faces when our driver called them from the end of the road! :)

TD55
08-11-2013, 20:53
I'd already paid to be on the private property....and excuse me for feeling entitled to be told exactly where we were so that we could implement our own exit strategy and allow a serious injury to be addressed....I'm not disgruntled in any way...found the whole thing mildly amusing and slightly creepy like some teen horror movie plot...should have seen their faces when our driver called them from the end of the road! :)
You paid to be on WHL property. You did not pay to trespass on the timber company private property, the private road. When hikers trespass on private property along the AT or around service providers it makes it difficult for service providers and it causes problems for other hikers. It is well known that Bill can be grumpy at times, but your story of "creepy like some teen horror movie plot" is not gonna get wheels here. To many of us have been there. Many of us multiple times. Nothing creepy or strange about WHL. It's a family type place. The fact you brag about getting over on them by saying we should have seen their faces when your driver called from the gate where he shouldn't have been to pick up hikers he shouldn't have been picking up tells us plenty about what you are. Your driver being at the gate and waiting for you was just an advertisement to neighbors that a violation of local standards and agreements to privacy and tresspassing laws were occuring.

Fur Queue
08-11-2013, 21:17
The driver at the gate was someone using initiative to retrieve someone with a serious injury....with a child! PERMISSION TO USE THE ROAD HAD BEEN GRANTED by WHL....furthermore, if anything whatsoever had been said along the lines of the bilge you are spewing we would have totally respected that and looked for a different solution...maybe that would have been the solution that they wanted, which was us to pay to be driven out of there....they didn't lie, except perhaps about the quality of the roads, but they obfuscated and did everything in their power to make that the outcome (they told us the drive couldn't be done unguided, impossible they said)...that was the comical creepy aspect..."We are trapped, help is on its way..and they wont tell us where we are!" ...it was obvious to the four adults who witnessed it that it wasn't about anything you have posted....like I said, I absolutely respect them defending their interests....But, yes, victory was sweet...we even stuffed another couple in the Jeep for good measure! ;) You weren't there, you haven't got the faintest clue what you are talking about....

Sly
08-11-2013, 23:50
It's a wildnerness camp without road access.

Nonsense. Search "White House Landing, Millinocket, Maine" on Google Maps, or use their website

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/location.html

SouthMark
08-12-2013, 10:00
Nonsense. Search "White House Landing, Millinocket, Maine" on Google Maps, or use their website

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/location.html

Yes, when I was there a family with an autistic child was there staying in one of the cabins by the lake. They and the couple canoeing the area lakes had driven there in their cars.

The Solemates
08-12-2013, 10:16
I flew there on the back of a feral pig in '09. Had no trouble and was not stopped by the authorities. Bill then slaughtered my ride back home and charged me for the bbq sandwich.

blaneyge
08-13-2013, 12:49
I have nothing but good times at WHL. Both of the Bs are nice guys,L is too(and a looker). The food and accomodations are swell.Wha's not to like?

Fur Queue
08-15-2013, 22:16
.Wha's not to like?

From the website "Call for directions" :0

camp mom
09-03-2013, 15:41
yes we are now listed through remax,can get all info from them.MLS# 1104052 hopefully will be in backpackers and Trailgrove.

camp mom
09-03-2013, 16:35
what planet are you from???? we have no physical address ..we are T1R10,and yes we tell folks not to drive in after dark cause many have got lost and cannot follow directions which we do give.. we are behind a locked nature concervancy gate and the last 1/2 mile in you need a vehical with clearance which you never made it that far...$300 to get you to town ..try$75....now you can stick that up your back pack!!!! get your facts straight before running your mouth!!!

rickb
09-03-2013, 19:34
Does one even own the land when you buy a camp like that?

max patch
09-03-2013, 19:45
listing says 7 acres.

mtnkngxt
09-03-2013, 19:59
Listing says 7 acres, but I've yet to see a price. I'd be very interested in this, my grandfather owns a modular home company nearby and I wouldn't mind a career change.

max patch
09-03-2013, 20:13
$985,000

So do you buy this for the lifestyle or does the business throw off enough income to support the purchase price?

mtnkngxt
09-04-2013, 06:56
Lifestyle. I'd never take on a million dollar camp, with the idea that you could make cash at it. King and Bartlett in Maine has changed hands a bunch of times since I was a kid and offered way more in the way of income generating potential as a top line fishing camp.

Some stock market expat will buy it and hide in the woods. Too rich for my blood, I'm just a simple funeral director.

max patch
09-04-2013, 10:02
Thats what happened with Rainbow Springs Campground near Franklin NC. Property value increased and the numbers didn't make sense.

DavidNH
09-04-2013, 10:35
I would not consider White House Landing particularly "hiker friendly." Also, I am not surprised they are selling.. they didn't seem to like the job of running the place when I visited on my hike in 06. This place is seriously expensive for hikers.

inspectorgene
09-04-2013, 10:40
They sure were a welcome sight for my son in 2011 whilst trying to outrun Hurricane Irene!

mtnkngxt
09-04-2013, 13:55
I'd imagine they have to deal with some real winners in their line of work. Also looking at how much they want for the property, I'm guessing their property taxes and operating costs are very high. If they're retired it is probably a drain on their cash flow. I had no problem when I stopped there on my section hike, but I wemt into it knowing what it cost and what was offered.

Sly
09-04-2013, 14:26
Business Description

An opportunity for a lifestyle change in one of the most beautiful locations in Maine. 4-season sporting camp, turn key, near Baxter State Park. Being offered for the first time in 22 years, White House Landing Camps caters to Appalachian Trail hikers, fisherman, and wildlife lovers alike. A perfect remote get-a-way, off the grid in the heart of Maine's 100-mile wilderness.

Detailed Information

Facilities: 7 acres, 1,000ft waterfront. Multiple buildings: (2) 4BR cabins,(2) 1BR cabins, (1) Bunkhouse sleeps 18, Shower Cabin, Main Lodge with kitchen, bar, and lounge, Owners house 2-3BR. Workshop, Garage, Generator Shed, Gas House, Garden Shed, Well house. Huge list of inventory being sold with business.

Growth/Expansion: Currently only used during hiking season (spring/summer). Can be used four-seasons

Reason Selling: Lifestyle change

Asking Price: $985,000
Gross Income: $75,000

http://www.bizbuysell.com/listings/images/buttons/b_contactSeller.jpg (http://tinyurl.com/mwaxmdl)

The Solemates
09-04-2013, 15:14
so they claim to make $75k working only 4.5 months out of the year? seems those numbers are a little skewed...

max patch
09-04-2013, 15:43
75k is gross, not net.

Never been there so can't comment on their business, but they do have an 18 person bunkhouse at $39 a nite. Plus a cabin or two. Plus meals. They would have to gross $550 a day every day over those 4.5 months to generate 75K. Certainly seems possible to me.

Rolls Kanardly
09-04-2013, 15:56
I do not know what interest rates are or taxes or insurance are in the area but lets run the numbers a little. If you could get 5 percent on $985,000 the monthly payment would be $5,300 or $63,500 approx a year principal and interest. Add taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance and there is not a whole lot left. Leaves almost nothing for the owners to live on. Like others on this thread I would love to be the new owner but it would take some serious thinking. Almost forgot the 20% down. Rolls Kanardly

peakbagger
09-04-2013, 16:42
Having not met the owners or visited the camps, sadly most similar camps have been closing down or being converted to private camps for many years. The economics of earning a living just don't line up. AMC supposedly bought the three sporting camps on their 100 mile wilderness property from willing sellers who apparently just couldn't make a go of it. The WHL land at one time most likely was James Rivers timberlands (from the Old Town ME mill). There usually were limited options to some camp owners to buy the lots under their camps which were formerly leased lots before the land got transferred. The land is typically under LURP (land use planning commission) jurisdiction. They rank each great pond in the state as a 1, 2 or a 3. A largely undeveloped lake is a class 1 and development is very restricted, basically what is there is "grandfathered" but anything new is very difficult to permit. Usually its nothing new within 250 feet of the shoreline, with only a 10 foot path can be cleared through the frontage and even the path has to be crooked so that no one can see through it from the lake. If there is a structure closer to the lake it can be repaired to the same footprint of what was there. In some cases these camps have been converted to condominiums where an association owns the land and individual own the buildings. Camp Phoenix at Baxter State Park is such a development. It is an inholding in BSP and can only be accessed from BSP.

There have been lots for sale on occasion at West Carry Pond which is partially developed lake east of Bigelow. They usually are in the 200 K range. There are many camps on lease lots in the Katahdin Area. Not many folks want to by them as they are generally difficult if not impossible to get a mortgage, as the owner of the lot has the right to ask the tenant to vacant when the leases are up. One major owner indicated last year that they would be selling their leased lots to the camp owners. Typically, they give the owner a break over retail but not much for many folks who are retired mill workers. I know of one long term camp that was on leased land, the owner of the land contacted the camp owners one year and gave them 90 days to come up with 250 K cash, no negotiating. If they didn't come up the cash they had to remove the camp on their dime. They ended up selling it to real estate agent for 25K and let the agent buy out the lease. The agent then listed the camp for $395K.

A lot on one of these wilderness lakes is extremely rare. I know of a few on similar lakes. Generally they sell for about $1000 per foot of frontage and LURP limits most lots to 250 feet minimum so plan on $250,000 for the lot. Many may have camps but usually they are basically only worth rebuilding to get around the setback provisions.

Many folks probably don't realize that many on these small business owners have zero retirement and may have loans to pay off. Basically unless they can sell the business and the sweat equity they have built up in it, they cant retire or move on. I don't think that's the case with WHL but it is with many of these camps.

mtnkngxt
09-04-2013, 20:27
If there was more acreage, it would be possible to make a real go of it. That said it wouldn't take much for the AT community to buy it, I'd put up $1000 right now.

Chomp09
10-05-2013, 17:30
With an asking price of almost $1M, either they are in entirely over their heads or they must not want to sell very badly. Either way, good luck justifying the asking price given the limited stated annual revenue.

bangorme
10-05-2013, 19:34
With an asking price of almost $1M, either they are in entirely over their heads or they must not want to sell very badly. Either way, good luck justifying the asking price given the limited stated annual revenue.

It's 7 acres, with a THOUSAND feet of lake frontage. I'm assuming they own the land. If they do, they could probably sell the land for a million. The business thing is a lifestyle activity. Very few of those businesses actually make enough money to sell as a business. That's why many are going under and being bought by rich, urban types, then posted with "No Trespassing" signs. This is happening all over Maine.

rickb
10-05-2013, 21:16
It's 7 acres, with a THOUSAND feet of lake frontage. I'm assuming they own the land. If they do, they could probably sell the land for a million. The business thing is a lifestyle activity. Very few of those businesses actually make enough money to sell as a business. That's why many are going under and being bought by rich, urban types, then posted with "No Trespassing" signs. This is happening all over Maine.

Which sort of makes the AMC's outright purchase and permanent protection of over 60,000 prime acres in the area rather remarkable, doesn't it?

Especially considering the club's respect for tradional users.

peakbagger
10-06-2013, 06:53
The AMC purchase was essentially a "gift" from Plum Creek in order greenwash their project in the Moosehead region. They needed to add a conservation component to the development and by selling it to AMC they bought a lot of credibility from the conservation community.

rickb
10-06-2013, 07:58
No doubt they will be charging a whole lot more homes they will be selling.

With a million acres they couldn't have developed it all anyway. I'd hate to rely on them for road access.

English Stu
10-06-2013, 11:54
I stayed there in 2010 and was looked after very well,the food was great .

Almost There
12-19-2014, 16:18
Just came across new ad stating the place is now for sale at $595,000. Although there is discrepancy as to how much waterfront, both ads state 3.5 acres, but one says 500 feet of waterfront and the other says 1,000 feet. There is a list of inventory that comes with the sale, which is basically everything including the boat to ferry hikers across the lake. If I didn't have two small children, I'd think about it, but if you've been there you know how remote it would be for kids to get to and from school, and next to impossible in the winter.

http://businessesforsale.businessweek.com/Business-Opportunity/White-House-Landing-Sports-Camps/767256/?J=AF

http://www.lakehouse.com/page-311977.html

Also, it was said before by one of the owners that there is no address, but one is listed in the second ad above.

ScottS
12-21-2014, 06:21
I would not consider White House Landing particularly "hiker friendly." Also, I am not surprised they are selling.. they didn't seem to like the job of running the place when I visited on my hike in 06. This place is seriously expensive for hikers.

In 2012, the husband couldn't have cared less about hikers. He was honest about wishing he could run fishing trips down in Florida instead of having to do this.
We/that business were a burden to him. Then you have maybe the most expensive resupply on trail (I think I remember $1 crystal light single servings) on top of their signs leading up to their hostel not saying the cost of the trip or how far away the meeting spot is until after you've already committed halfway to the dock... Not shady, but not exactly the actions taken by people with good intentions.

I hope they sell or get out of the hiker hostel game because they were clearly unhappy doing it. It would be better for everyone involved.