PDA

View Full Version : Typical Rain gear and cold weather gear/

jima59
03-02-2011, 07:37
Knowing that most people start a northbound hike when it is still cold in the south and end up with the cold in the north what is the typical gear you would use for both ends, for cold and rainy weather. What would you recommend for a price concience person that isn't rich so goretex is out. Also, which town did you mail your cold weather gear to up north after leaving the southern cold weather.

thanks for the info.

HoneyBear
03-02-2011, 07:56
For the second part of your question, I am told there is a post office right across the street from a hostel in Glencliffe NH. It is right before you enter the White Mountains where you wile most likely need your cold weather gear.

swjohnsey
03-02-2011, 08:45
I don't know that I'm typical. I will start around April 1 and hope to end around August 1 so I might not need as much cold weather gear as some.

Marmot Precip top and bottom - windproof/waterproof layer
Fleece 1/2 zip 100 wt top
Fleece pants 100 wt
Fleece hat and gloves

This set-up keeps me pretty comfortable down to freezing when I am not moving.

bigcranky
03-02-2011, 08:57
I like a four layer system:

1. base layer - a light synthetic or wool fabric, like Capilene 2 weight. Moves moisture from your body, dries quickly. Plenty of inexpensive options out there.

2. wind shirt - a single layer 3-ounce wind shirt is very useful while hiking in cold weather, as it breathes much better than a rain shell but is much warmer than just hiking in a base layer. Often found on sale at places like Golite.com.

3. Insulation layer - a heavier fleece or puffy jacket (down or synthetic) for camp or breaks during the day. I would never wear this layer while actually hiking. A 300-wt fleece is inexpensive and warm, though bulky. You can sometimes find a great deal on a down sweater from Eddie Bauer or Lands End -- try to keep the weight of this layer under a pound.

4. Shell layer - a waterproof, breathable layer for heavy rain, snow, or very cold weather (or all three at the same time.) You can spend $300 on a Goretex shell, or $25 on Dri Ducks, which work just as well but aren't going to last as long.

Mix and match the layers as needed throughout the day. In my pack I carry a set of mid-weight long johns for camp and sleeping, so I have something dry to put on at the end of the day.

The individual articles of clothing will change depending on the hike -- warmer stuff in the winter, lighter stuff in the summer -- but the basic 4-layer system still works.

Llama Legs
03-02-2011, 09:04
I don't know that I'm typical. I will start around April 1 and hope to end around August 1 so I might not need as much cold weather gear as some.

Marmot Precip top and bottom - windproof/waterproof layer
Fleece 1/2 zip 100 wt top
Fleece pants 100 wt
Fleece hat and gloves

This set-up keeps me pretty comfortable down to freezing when I am not moving.

I don't think you'll want (or need) the fleece pants. I do like 100 wt fleece however...

Llama Legs
03-02-2011, 09:09
Knowing that most people start a northbound hike when it is still cold in the south and end up with the cold in the north what is the typical gear you would use for both ends, for cold and rainy weather. What would you recommend for a price concience person that isn't rich so goretex is out. Also, which town did you mail your cold weather gear to up north after leaving the southern cold weather.

thanks for the info.

You might try and pick up a cheap (thrift store?) down jacket. I found one in Clearwater for $2.50, plus tax! You won't need it the whole way - obviously.

swjohnsey
03-02-2011, 09:41
I don't think you'll want (or need) the fleece pants. I do like 100 wt fleece however...

I'm carrying a very light bag (Kelty Light Year 40) I need the fleece to sleep in.

Snowleopard
03-02-2011, 12:17
For New England above tree line, you want to be prepared for getting caught in a sudden storm with 60+mph winds, rain and 33 degrees. I'd say two fleece jackets or a puffy jacket, warm hat, gloves and rain jacket and pants that fit over your warm clothes. You can always get cheap fleece at discount stores or Goodwill. If you get lucky you might find a down jacket, but synthetic would be better in rain.

For southern New England, carry rain gear and at least one fleece jacket; it could be in the 40s, raining and windy.

The cheapest rain gear is Dri Ducks, very breathable, waterproof, light and less than $20, but delicate (probably OK if you're careful, no good for bushwhacking). Lots of people use Precip gear, more durable than dri ducks.

Llama Legs
03-02-2011, 17:26
I have never hiked with a thermal layer and a rain shell. Usually too hot already.

flemdawg1
03-02-2011, 17:28
I like a four layer system:

1. base layer - a light synthetic or wool fabric, like Capilene 2 weight. Moves moisture from your body, dries quickly. Plenty of inexpensive options out there.

2. wind shirt - a single layer 3-ounce wind shirt is very useful while hiking in cold weather, as it breathes much better than a rain shell but is much warmer than just hiking in a base layer. Often found on sale at places like Golite.com.

3. Insulation layer - a heavier fleece or puffy jacket (down or synthetic) for camp or breaks during the day. I would never wear this layer while actually hiking. A 300-wt fleece is inexpensive and warm, though bulky. You can sometimes find a great deal on a down sweater from Eddie Bauer or Lands End -- try to keep the weight of this layer under a pound.

4. Shell layer - a waterproof, breathable layer for heavy rain, snow, or very cold weather (or all three at the same time.) You can spend $300 on a Goretex shell, or $25 on Dri Ducks, which work just as well but aren't going to last as long.

Mix and match the layers as needed throughout the day. In my pack I carry a set of mid-weight long johns for camp and sleeping, so I have something dry to put on at the end of the day.

The individual articles of clothing will change depending on the hike -- warmer stuff in the winter, lighter stuff in the summer -- but the basic 4-layer system still works.

Thats what I take for cold weather its good down to single digits wearing everything.

LIhikers
03-05-2011, 00:50
For the second part of your question, I am told there is a post office right across the street from a hostel in Glencliffe NH. It is right before you enter the White Mountains where you wile most likely need your cold weather gear.

That's absolutely right, the post office is a 2 minute walk from the hostel.
Going up Mount Moosilauke, a short walk from the hostel, on an August day the weather changed from a warm sunny day, to rain, to sleet, to snow and to cold and windy and in the clouds. On top it was a finger numbing condition. Sure glad we had the right clothing for protection from the elements.