PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx $$$$

Scrapes
03-02-2011, 11:03
Why is all their stuff so expensive, does anyone use it? love to hear how one can justify the big dollars this gear costs.

Blue Jay
03-02-2011, 11:22
Why is all their stuff so expensive, does anyone use it? love to hear how one can justify the big dollars this gear costs.

High quality, works well, lasts forever under heavy use. Very hard to come by anywhere these days.

TheChop
03-02-2011, 11:42
They have to find that very very rare fossil and then embed it into everything they manufacture and that adds a lot.

My Arc'teryx fleece has held up for me very well but I got it 40 or 50% off. The secret to a lot of gear buying is waiting for sales and knowing where to look. Paying full price with sales tax is a fool's game.

Blue Jay
03-02-2011, 12:11
Paying full price with sales tax is a fool's game.

That is EXACTLY why all stores are filled with crap and why Americans are out of work.

IceAge
03-02-2011, 13:48
That is EXACTLY why all stores are filled with crap and why Americans are out of work.

Because people buy stuff on sale?

TheChop
03-02-2011, 14:50
Because people buy stuff on sale?

And from American websites?

TheChop
03-02-2011, 14:51
And Arc'teryx is a Canadian company.

John B
03-02-2011, 15:12
And Arc'teryx is a Canadian company.

Yeah, but their webpage says they also outsource production to 8 different countries just like we do -- China, El Salvador, Phillipines, etc -- so that makes it OK. :D

I have an Arc hat. Very nice, but for $25 it had better be.

I like their pack, too -- it responds to Bryson's complaint that a pack should be waterproof -- but I made the mistake of buying a ULA, made in a guy's garage in Utah, at half the weight and for half the price. Next time I'll try to support a Canadian company.

Stir Fry
03-02-2011, 16:00
"McHale packs", US made, high quality, and made to fit. Will last forever and it holds its value.

earlyriser26
03-02-2011, 17:23
I use one of the Arc'teryx packs (Bora 40). Best pack I have ever had and I have had a few over the last 42 years. Most comfotable pack there is IMO.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2011, 17:29
High quality, works well, lasts forever under heavy use. Very hard to come by anywhere these days.

It's a newbie tendency to stay halfway committed to the Outdoor Life and so you see the fascination with the cheap stuff that has to be repeatedly re-bought while at the same time they wonder why Arcteryx gear costs so much. This is no offense to Scrapes and is only directed at the half in the canoe/half out of the canoe types who can't figure their priorities. Do you want to be outside or inside?

If a person lives out all the time, in fact, if he doesn't even have a house or a spring mattress, he will find the best stuff is cheap when compared to all the toys we normally cherish. $2,000 or $3,000 for a top-notch winter kit that can keep you out all year? Compare this to what people pay for their mortgages or flat screens or vehicles. A dynamite tent is less than one month's rent. And if in addition it helps you to keep from paying rent, well, you've got the memo and are well are your way to Freedom in the form of Backpacking.

There's a group of people who pride themselves on dirtbaggng it: Pulling off a backpacking or climbing trip with minimal expensive stuff and foraging---in all the meanings of that word. Dirtbagging is great for those young guys who have little gear and want to get out no matter what, and it's sort of a prerequisite learning experience in knowing what stuff to get later or what you might need. But after the dirtbagging phase there comes a time when you appreciate gear that is well-made, bombproof, and tested---Ozark Trail vs Hilleberg. How many Ozark Trail tents do you need to get before you wail out in the night and say, "Never again!" Your gaze just may end up on something better. This evolution continues as your trips get longer and winters get colder and winds turn nastier. Hence the need for Arcteryx.

Zeno Marx
03-02-2011, 18:43
QUALITY, costs, and QUALITY that lasts, costs even more. They should be one in the same, but that is for another discussion. (especially in today's world where the basic quality of yesterday is now considered a luxury)

You don't build a longlasting, diehard, loyal following in the outdoor rec world by offering junk. Sure, there are collectors and fashionistas, but they don't tend to drive the longterm confidence in products that can maintain and save your life.

$400 for a shell or backpack that will last two decades? Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. $200 for a backpack that I might have to replace in five years? That sounds expensive, wasteful, and silly to a person who is old enough to not have learned it is just a way of life to "buy, buy, and buy again."

Chubbs4U
03-02-2011, 19:19
I have a couple of their things and they rock. They last a long time and are pricey but worth it.

10-K
03-02-2011, 19:32
Well, thanks to the discount coupon I'm now an unpaid advertiser for Golite but I do have a few of this companies things and like them ok. Seem to be well made - on par with Mont Bell, Marmot, etc.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-02-2011, 19:53
I have a dead bird jacket and some pants that have been extremely durable. Quality was excellent. 10 years and still holding up well.
Their stuff is really too heavy for most backpacking though.

YoungMoose
03-02-2011, 20:18
i got a polartec fleece jacket from them about 3 years ago still working great and holding strong. didnt mind spending a little extra. got it on sale for 405 off thankfully or i wouldnt of gotten it.

Papa D
03-02-2011, 20:29
my main rain jacket is Arc-teryx and I have some of their other stuff too - yes, it is spendy, but when you are dry, comfortable, warm and prepared - you don't care - the stuff is well-made and lasts a long time if you take care of it. There are a lot of brands out there that people associate with "quality" that are really cheaply made crap (sorry, I'm sure some are exceptions and some of it's fine) but- North Face comes to mind - I'm also beginning to feel that way about Marmot - stuff made to look outdoorsy or trendy - arc-teryx, mont-bell, and western mountaineering are companies that make the real stuff - just an opinion though - I think Columbia and Slumberjack are honest brands - not associated with high end but usually really reliable - much more so than the North Face.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2011, 21:01
There are a lot of brands out there that people associate with "quality" that are really cheaply made crap (sorry, I'm sure some are exceptions and some of it's fine) but- North Face comes to mind - I'm also beginning to feel that way about Marmot - stuff made to look outdoorsy or trendy - arc-teryx, mont-bell, and western mountaineering are companies that make the real stuff - just an opinion though - I think Columbia and Slumberjack are honest brands - not associated with high end but usually really reliable - much more so than the North Face.

It used to be that the old 1970's era North Face bags were at the top of the heap and were influenced by the even older top of the line Trailwise Slimline down bags, Colin's favorite. I got my -10F rated North Face bag back in '81 and it was a life-saver for winter nights in the mountains of North Carolina. It was called the Ibex and is pictured below when I went home to see the folks in '84. So, yes, North Face stuff generally can be said to be questionable, but at one time they were the best. (BTW, the SF blouse was souvineered to me by an old first sgt of the 5th Group at Bragg).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_b401C2NJk-Y/TIJ3TN5aMII/AAAAAAAAA6o/mg8qEqk47D4/FIRST%20BAG.jpg

Powder River
03-03-2011, 01:10
It's a newbie tendency to stay halfway committed to the Outdoor Life and so you see the fascination with the cheap stuff that has to be repeatedly re-bought while at the same time they wonder why Arcteryx gear costs so much. This is no offense to Scrapes and is only directed at the half in the canoe/half out of the canoe types who can't figure their priorities. Do you want to be outside or inside?

If a person lives out all the time, in fact, if he doesn't even have a house or a spring mattress, he will find the best stuff is cheap when compared to all the toys we normally cherish. $2,000 or $3,000 for a top-notch winter kit that can keep you out all year? Compare this to what people pay for their mortgages or flat screens or vehicles. A dynamite tent is less than one month's rent. And if in addition it helps you to keep from paying rent, well, you've got the memo and are well are your way to Freedom in the form of Backpacking.

There's a group of people who pride themselves on dirtbaggng it: Pulling off a backpacking or climbing trip with minimal expensive stuff and foraging---in all the meanings of that word. Dirtbagging is great for those young guys who have little gear and want to get out no matter what, and it's sort of a prerequisite learning experience in knowing what stuff to get later or what you might need. But after the dirtbagging phase there comes a time when you appreciate gear that is well-made, bombproof, and tested---Ozark Trail vs Hilleberg. How many Ozark Trail tents do you need to get before you wail out in the night and say, "Never again!" Your gaze just may end up on something better. This evolution continues as your trips get longer and winters get colder and winds turn nastier. Hence the need for Arcteryx.

Well said Tipi. I have long been puzzled by the backpackers who spend 3k or more on a thru hike and then complain about spending an extra $100 here or there for a small number of pieces of gear. Hiking is at the bottom of the heap as far as expensive hobbies or pastimes go. Trust me you don't want to get into photography.

There is not much that Arcteryx makes that I would take on a thru hike due to weight, but I have owned a ski jacket for years and they make the best jackets in the world. I have owned a daypack made by them for almost 10 years and it still looks like new. Worth every penny.

wythekari
03-03-2011, 02:02
There is a mix of gear that each of us has to feel comfortable with. Hopefully those who want to can get to a point when they can ditch the Eureka tent and step it up. I have gear bought cheap from Big Five that hangs w/my buddies name brand stuff; example, hiking poles that have been all over Anza Borrego and up and down/in and out of the Grand Canyon. And I have a Petzoldt winter sleeping bag that I bought back in the early 80s (who can remember the price?) that is still my go to, no sh#t, winter bag and my Gore-tex shell is REI and bought in 2001 and I plan on using it for 10 more years. So buy quality when you can, take care of your kit, and give advice gently to newbies.

Kia Kaha
03-03-2011, 09:24

I also agree, it is imple economics, cost to own -vs- cost to buy. We are such a disposable society anymore, this is one thing I have been working on doing better myself, if I need something I try to buy the best for 2 reasons, first and foremost is that the better gear does last and perform better, the second is that I am in a spot at this point in my life where I can afford it, it has not always been that way.

There is a place for any and all gear, the gear is as different and commited as those of us who hike. There is a reason Mystery Ranch (Dana Packs), McHale, Hilleberg, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, etc. do not advertise so much...they don't need to, people who are serious have and always will seek out the best product for the job, it's always been that way.

Hike your own hike.

Papa D
03-03-2011, 23:01
yes, Tipi - North Face was once the best there was - sort of like Abercrombie and Fitch - which was a company that sold high-end luggage and hunting equipment - Vanity Fare bought The North Face and it is pretty much poser **** now - Abercrombie and Fitch is, well, you know ........

Ramble~On
03-04-2011, 07:05
I have been a long time fan of Arcteryx gear for their quality. I have never had a problem with any of their stuff. The Bora 95 I bought ? 10 or so years ago still looks new and it has been used -heavily. I have quite a bit of their stuff and I am happy with it. They are pricey but for that price I know I am buying something that I will get my money out of and will last.
I have yet to find a hiking shirt that I like better than the Velox Comp. I hiked almost the entire AT in one and could have finished in it but it got some bleach on it - so I got a new one. Most of their gear is too heavy for a thru hike and IMO their stuff is geared more towards colder weather...for that, I'm happy to have it. I figured that once they started having their stuff manufactured overseas there would be a drop in quality - there hasn't been any that I have noticed.

Blue Jay
03-04-2011, 10:39
Yeah, but their webpage says they also outsource production to 8 different countries just like we do -- China, El Salvador, Phillipines, etc -- so that makes it OK. :D

I have an Arc hat. Very nice, but for $25 it had better be.

I like their pack, too -- it responds to Bryson's complaint that a pack should be waterproof -- but I made the mistake of buying a ULA, made in a guy's garage in Utah, at half the weight and for half the price. Next time I'll try to support a Canadian company.

Actually I often think of myself as Canadian in the winter as often I'm the only one not speaking French on any given mountain. Outsourcing (which had nothing to do with what I wrote) has nothing to do with buying cheap crap.
Clearly we are forced to make it here also.

stranger
03-04-2011, 10:49
I used to be tight with some key people within Arc'Teryx years ago, so can't necessarily bank on this information but as a rule it should prove useful.

First off, Arc'Teryx isn't all that expensive when you put it next to Patagonia, Gregory, Osprey, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, etc...It's a high end product and the price reflects that. Years ago the Bora hipbelt consisted of 4 different layers of foam, with 3 different densities, all thermo-moulded together. The hipbelt had a wholesale value of $45 and retailed for $60, that's just the hipbelt! Alot of craftmanship goes into ArcTeryx products.

Their clothing is designed to be both comfortable, fashionable and functional, the idea being if you spend $400 on a waterproof technical parka, you should be able to wear it to work without looking silly, also, the fit on many ArcTeryx products is amazing, the attention to detail is definiately there.

Second, they do have a very heavy focus on fashion, colors, and patterns. To the point where years ago they brought in a fashion designer to look at their packs, as changed most of them to reflect the suggested changes, most of which simply involved aligning color patters, seams, etc...Even to the point of having a very complex, but cool looking, sternum strap sliding device...all of this costs money!

For many years, Arc'Teryx made some of the worlds finest climbing harnesses, where they started apparently many years ago.

They make great products, but I don't necessarily think they are needed in the long distance hiking community, but for technical climbing, mountaineering, etc...perhaps.

I wouldn't buy a jacket from them personally, but not based on price, just because everything seems to be overdone, overdesigned...I like basic, simple gear.

Tenderheart
03-04-2011, 15:19
[QUOTE=Scrapes;1122591]Why is all their stuff so expensive, does anyone use it? love to hear how one can justify the big dollars this gear costs.[/QUOTE

Because it is simply bomb-proof. My Khamsin 50SL pack is still going strong and will soon attempt a second thru hike.

litefoot 2000

TallShark
03-05-2011, 17:10
Yeah I agree NF has become garbage due to the over-production of trendy gear. It seems Marmot could go down the same path but what I own/have owned can be considered quality and fairly durable. Now when someone said columbia was reliable I beg to differ. It would be what I would consider affordable odd and end type gear that you certainly wouldn't want to rely on in a survival situation. Oh and I Love Arc'teryx, Mont-bell, OR.