PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Mountain Sports

Penn-J
03-02-2011, 13:29
They just opened a new EMS in Collegeville! It's only a 10 minute drive for me. I was there last Saturday. I love the fact there's a hiking store in my home town!
Has anyone else checked it out yet?

ki0eh
03-02-2011, 16:35
Would be good to have one in Harrisburg area because our local outfitter went out and there's quite a lot you can't get at Bass Pro/Gander Mountain.

earlyriser26
03-02-2011, 17:19
Great place, next to REI, it is my favorite. I bought the biggest pack I have ever owned through them. Big enoungh for 1 months food or a small car.

Snake Farm
03-02-2011, 17:34
I love EMS. I have one a few towns over, they had everything I needed. And to top it all off, the store manager did a thru a few years ago! I got tons of advice from him.

ARambler
03-02-2011, 17:45
I got 3 pair of trail runners at the Collegeville EMS. Some of the last Vasque Velocities in the country.

I could not find any synthetic pants at Bass Pro/Gander Mountain, except the pair I bought from the clearance rack for $10.

Namaste
03-02-2011, 18:20
I hope the staff is friendlier and more helpful than the store in Bridgewater NJ. They could all use a course in customer service. I usually go to the NYC Soho store which is pretty big with a friendly staff, and can always find a great bargain.

Chaco Taco
03-02-2011, 18:38
Just moved to Concord, NH and love the fact that there is an EMS 5 mins from our house

One
03-02-2011, 19:01
I have not checked out the EMS in Collegeville yet, but have spent some time in the one in Warrington. Nice Stores, but I still find myself at the REI in Conshohocken more. Can't seem to beat the REI 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I had a pair of gaiters that ripped where they attached and they replaced them no questions asked. How is EMS for backing up the products they sell?

I am working over in Phoenixville on Friday and will have to swing over and check it out!

lbbrown
03-02-2011, 19:14
If you buy from EMS dont lose your receipt! My 6 month old Keens were delaminating and after 3 visits to the store they wanted me to leave them and go home in my stocking feet! Emailed Keen and they gave me online credit for repacement. I was so happy with them I just bought another pair. REI replaced a leaky Big Agnes Insulated mattress that was over a year old. It pays to be a member.

rjjones
03-02-2011, 19:58
I'm three minutes away and i'm almost on a first name basis with the people there.Its nice to have a place like that so close.Bully Bob

rjjones
03-02-2011, 20:02
Hey Penn,did i run into you on the skippack trail last summer??{Me-short stocky guy hiking with backpack.We talked for 5-10 min.}

Penn-J
03-03-2011, 11:09
Hey rjjones, I remember you. I did the 5 mile loop in Jan. again but when I got to the bridge it wasn't there!! It was 20 degrees out! I had to cross the Skippy in bare feet!! WOW that was cold!
Hope your doing well.

sixguns01
03-03-2011, 11:16
I have been to the EMS in SoHo NYC and in Paramus NJ. Prices all seem to be greatly exaggerated and the stock is very limited. The EMS in Paramus is literally right next door to the Campmor one and only store. Not sure how EMS stays in buisness there. Workers, not very friendly or informative, and the prices were well over Campmor's. Sale items at EMS were still more expensive then regular Campmor prices.

Also, thank god that a REI opened in East Hanover NJ. Great place and when you can find them great deals. Can't beat there Garage Sales!

If you like yours, then perfect! I don't even swing by EMS anymore.

Namaste
03-03-2011, 11:45
I have been to the EMS in SoHo NYC and in Paramus NJ. Prices all seem to be greatly exaggerated and the stock is very limited. The EMS in Paramus is literally right next door to the Campmor one and only store. Not sure how EMS stays in buisness there. Workers, not very friendly or informative, and the prices were well over Campmor's. Sale items at EMS were still more expensive then regular Campmor prices.

Also, thank god that a REI opened in East Hanover NJ. Great place and when you can find them great deals. Can't beat there Garage Sales!

If you like yours, then perfect! I don't even swing by EMS anymore.

I agree that it's great to have REI in E. Hanover now. I prefer them to EMS. I LOVE Campmor and with EMS right next door I still avoid them. I can't imagine Campmor not having what I want and with great sales people.

Amanita
03-03-2011, 11:47
I've also had some negative experiences with EMS. I found their prices to be high, their selection to be low, and their staff to be unhelpful. Last time I went in there I didn't get ANY help from the staff. Just because I'm young, female, and don't "look like a hiker" doesn't mean I'm not here to spend money. But no worries, we've got a nice local store that while not "discount" prices has an impressive selection crammed into their tiny little store, and staff willing to help anyone who comes in, not just "real customers."

GoonerYank
03-03-2011, 13:10
I've always had good experiences with the EMS in Lancaster. A friend and I went in there once to get a rock climbing harness and ended up spending an hour talking to a salesperson about hiking Mount Washington. Still, I agree with Ki0eh and wish they would put one in the Harrisburg area. That, or an REI.

I'm actually at a point right now where I want to give up my day job and open a outdoors gear and apparel shop of my own.

Yukon
03-03-2011, 13:12
Just moved to Concord, NH and love the fact that there is an EMS 5 mins from our house

Congrats on the move, beautiful area! :)

Chubbs4U
03-03-2011, 14:08
EMS is a solid store but has nothing on REI. Only thing I dont like is EMS store brand stuff. Doesnt hold up and the reviews for their own products fall in comparison to the other brands. Also REI has the best return policy ever.

mikec
03-03-2011, 15:09
I purchased gear at the EMS in Manchester Center, VT and Lebanon, NH while sectioning in those areas. If you catch the % off sales, you can get some good deals there. The nearest store to me is their southernmost store in Ashburn, VA.

rjjones
03-03-2011, 21:17
Penn,thats to funny.They couldnt have dropped that bridge in the summer,could they.Shoot me a PM if you ever want to do a day out past pulpit and the pinnecle.Bob

LIhikers
03-03-2011, 22:28
An EMS is the closest thing we have to an outfitter here on Long Island. The people in this store are friendly and usually helpful. There's a limited selection of gear and a large selection of clothing. But, you can get everything you'd need for backpacking, if not the particular make and model you're looking for. Although they will order anything you want made by the major manufactures.

All that being said, REI is supposed to open a store in the same area this coming fall.

Peaks
03-06-2011, 18:04
Like other chain stores, sales staff varies from store to store. Sometimes it's outstanding, and sometimes it's severly lacking.

EMS brand products: I've been very pleased with some items, usually clothing. But I stay clear of much of it. All depends on what you are looking for, and how much you want to spend. but, someone usually gives me a gift card, and I'll use it at a 20% off sale in the spring or fall.

takethisbread
03-06-2011, 20:00
I tend to visit the stores, but I buy a lot online. Prices are kinda high at EMS and REI. Good for testing out gear, tho. I go in set up tents, climb in bags, try on jackets, then go online and get it for less.

Tilly
03-06-2011, 20:49

NJ has an REI?!?!? Never thought that would happen.

I guess it doesn't matter too much because I've been going to Ramsey's since I was a girl scout...not going to stop now...

Peaks
03-22-2011, 17:32
Eastern Mountain Sports changing it's focus again?

http://www.nhbr.com/businessentrepreneurs/911810-274/ceo-revives-ems-by-returning-the-firm.html

woodstock64
03-22-2011, 18:18
Had an EMS near me when I lived in Amherst MA. Good to know they opened one in Collegeville. I live in EHT NJ now but the Collegeville EMS will come in handy when I'm out in Shwenksville for the Philadelphia Folk Fest.

Snowleopard
03-22-2011, 18:28
I like EMS. I've had especially good service at the Peterborough, NH, store. They have a warehouse there.The staff has tracked down what I'm looking for in the warehouse and get it to me within 20 minutes.

Some of their house brand stuff is very good quality and is often a bargain when on sale.

soles gone bad
12-08-2011, 01:58
EMS is a solid store but has nothing on REI. Only thing I dont like is EMS store brand stuff. Doesnt hold up and the reviews for their own products fall in comparison to the other brands. Also REI has the best return policy ever.

So I have been a shopper of Eastern Mountain Sports for a long time now. I have tried REI but found the staff to be less knowledgeable then EMS. I'm an avid cyclist that does long distance touring, hiking and rock climbing. Everything is usually on sale for at least 20% off 'which is why my friends and I call it Every Month a Sale" EMS get it? and the return policy will put them out of business. Mainly because you can return anything you bought or didn't buy from there and return it for a credit if you do not have a receipt. Or you get a full refund on your purchase if you have a receipt. The only thing they havent taken back from me was some used climbing gear. and I totally understand why. I'd recommend checking out the Collegeville Pa location. The staff is awesome. they all ride, hike and climb. It's just a darn shame they wont be selling snowboards this year. I'm sure each store has its own faults but I have yet to find one in Collegeville. I hope this helps in some way. Sorry not trying to stick up for anyone. Just voicing my thoughts.

See ya on the trails.

Blue Jay
12-08-2011, 11:55
So I have been a shopper of Eastern Mountain Sports for a long time now....the return policy will put them out of business.....The only thing they havent taken back from me was some used climbing gear.

So tell us WHY you tried to take it back.

bamboo bob
12-08-2011, 12:42
EMS and REI are good stores but I find REI to be more expensive on just about everything. You need the REI member discount just to come back to normal prices. For REI if you are a member they have a record of everything you buy so returns are easy without explanation. They just take it back. I found REI lame dealing with broken leki poles, but I dealt directly with Leki and they did a great job free!

rocketsocks
12-08-2011, 18:32
EMS for me is a 3.68 miles from my home,takes me about 1 hour 35 min.to walk it,I go a few times a month just to sniff the gear?They know me,and don't seem to mind this odd activity.

Chubbs4U
12-08-2011, 18:36
I do have a nice EMS brand top that I use as a go to heavy layer. I think its kind of like the Coke Pepsi thing. Different strokes for different folks.

bamboo bob
12-08-2011, 20:51
Did you ever notice how many Outdoor stores eventually end up becoming clothing stores? Abercrombie and Fitch was an oufitter, then Eddie Bauer, LL Bean. They all were mainly gear stores and all added more and more clothing. Cabela's Bass Pro, more and more clothes and even housewares. It seems that EMS had been becoming a clothing store too but seems to be trying to mainly have outdoor gear. REI is staying pretty centered on gear and outdoor clothing.

LIhikers
12-08-2011, 21:10
A couple of years ago I got a great winter jacket from my local EMS during clearance time at the end of winter. $25 dollars for a jacket with Primaloft Sport insulation. It's warm, comfortable, and the price was better than good. It's my everyday winter jacket and is holding up great.