PDA

View Full Version : what are my options to go from the trail to d.c.

balloonatic
03-02-2011, 17:06
howdy well i am doign a thru hike on the a.t. and leaving the end of march. I have nothing on my calender to side track me from the trip except one thing. I have a balloon gig in myrtle beach for the national junior champships of shag dancing ( I am making two life size dancers) mid july. since i am not sure where exactly I will be i have not been able to book a flight to that confernce yet. I am hoping to be some where between harpers ferry and p.a. what are my options to be able to get washingtion d.c? i know there is a train somewhere as well as i think some busses. can some one please give me some ideas?
thanks.
balloonatic

Cookerhiker
03-02-2011, 17:11
Harpers Ferry has 2 commuter trains per day plus an AMTRAK line. The commuters leave early in the morning, the AMTRAK about 1 PM. I'll find the links for you.

bfayer
03-02-2011, 17:14
You walk right past the train station in Harpers Ferry. Trains run all day. Cost about $9 for the MARC train.

Cookerhiker
03-02-2011, 17:19
Unless something new has occurred, trains do not "run all day." Here's the MARC timetable (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_Jan10.pdf). As a communter line, it does not operate on weekends or major holidays.

The AMTRAK line is the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139) and costs more but is faster than the MARC because it only stops once between HF and DC.

balloonatic
03-02-2011, 17:22
thats great. what if i get past harpers ferry is there any other options?

Cookerhiker
03-02-2011, 17:26
Sorry, I just re-read your post and noticed your balloon event isn't until mid-July. With a late March thruhike start, you should be past the half-way point. Only you know what pace you're planning to maintain but you may want to consider getting to Philadelphia or NY.

Options to consider:

Duncannon - train from Harrisburg to Philly
Port Clinton - bus to Philly
Delaware Water Gap - bus to either Philly or NY
Greenwood Lake - bus to NY
Rt. 17 NY - train to NY
Bear Mountain - bus to NY

Some of these involve hitching and/or shuttles. Take a look at your exact start and pace and decide which city you want to fly out of.

Helios
03-02-2011, 17:29
Unless something new has occurred, trains do "not run all day." Here's the MARC timetable (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_Jan10.pdf). As a communter line, it does not operate on weekends or major holidays.

The AMTRAK line is the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139) and costs more but is faster than the MARC because it only stops once between HF and DC.

The AMTRAK does run through HF on weekends to DC. I live in Western Maryland and have rode this train to DC on weekends several times.

balloonatic
03-02-2011, 17:29
thanks cookerhiker that is the kind of stuff i needed to know
balloonatic

Sorry, I just re-read your post and noticed your balloon event isn't until mid-July. With a late March thruhike start, you should be past the half-way point. Only you know what pace you're planning to maintain but you may want to consider getting to Philadelphia or NY.

Options to consider:

Duncannon - train from Harrisburg to Philly
Port Clinton - bus to Philly
Delaware Water Gap - bus to either Philly or NY
Greenwood Lake - bus to NY
Rt. 17 NY - train to NY
Bear Mountain - bus to NY

Some of these involve hitching and/or shuttles. Take a look at your exact start and pace and decide which city you want to fly out of.

beakerman
03-02-2011, 17:37
of course you could hoof it from HF to DC on the C&O canal as well....just sayin'

Helios
03-02-2011, 17:45
of course you could hoof it from HF to DC on the C&O canal as well....just sayin'

Hey, great option there! Done that a few times actually! 60 miles, flat, great scenery!

Cookerhiker
03-02-2011, 17:46
The ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%201-20-11%20_2_.pdf) will help your planning. Re. my last post, I'm not sure whether Port Clinton still has bus service or not.

trailangelmary
03-07-2011, 12:50
If you end up in the area of Duncannon I can shuttle you to train/bus station in Harrisburg or to the airport outside Harrisburg for a gas donation.

balloonatic
03-07-2011, 13:06
yes that would be great, i will definatly let you know if that is the case. right now that is the plan, but i will have to see as i am actually hiking if i can make it there by the middle of july or if i get farther.
balloonatic

If you end up in the area of Duncannon I can shuttle you to train/bus station in Harrisburg or to the airport outside Harrisburg for a gas donation.

ARambler
03-07-2011, 14:23
My three guesses. I have tried them all.
3) Manchester Center via Rutland via Hanover
2) Dalton via Great Barrington
1) Off the trail long before July.

Which guide book are you not reading?

Rambler
04-12-2011, 22:57
From D.C. I took an early morning bus to Harrisburg. A shuttle driver took me a few miles to Duncannon. I hiked south to Harpers Ferry and the train back to DC from there. Transportation was easy.

singing wind
04-12-2011, 23:59
Not sure if this is still on the ATC shuttle list - but if you're looking for a public bus around the Front Royal area perhaps check out the Valley Connector Coach Service. It's basically a commuter coach run out of D.C. but they worked out pretty well for me in 2010 to get out of the big city to a place close to the trail. Best to email for details - hard to contact by phone.

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } http://www.shenvalleycommuters.com/Schedules.html#Coach_Schedule

Good luck with your hike!

singing wind
04-12-2011, 23:59
p.s. sorry about the extra text! but the link was working ok today.

Dogwood
04-13-2011, 01:43
I don't see anywhere you mentioning your anticipated hiking pace but in 2006 going NOBO with a Apr 12 start date at Amicalola Falls(I did the Approach Trail) and hiking at a very leisurely pace(15 mpd to start, increased to upper teens- low 20's mpd after about 1 month, at least I thought it was leisurely) I was at Harper's Ferry July 2. Took the Amtrak into Washington D.C. for July 4th. I think with your earlier start date and mid July hiatus from the AT you will most likely be north of HF barring an exceptionally slow pace or injury.

Dogwood
04-13-2011, 01:48
Just a guesstimate but I wouldn't be surprised, given the criteria of your hike in my previous post, that you will be in PA or NJ about mid July. I would be looking at an exit to Washington DC somewhere in those states at a convenient location with a low ball southern estimate of HF.