PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth City, NC

Corrigan
03-02-2011, 18:11
Any leave in or around Elizabeth City, NC? I'm looking for a spot to park my car for a few weeks...

Corrigan
03-08-2011, 09:45
Well, drove to Elizabeth City on Thursday anyways....talked to a lady in the Town Hall and they rented me a parking spot for 15 bucks(good for a month). So after to quick hitches I found my way to Kill Devil Hills on Friday. The "trail" has been nice so far. Good weather, easy walking, good folks etc..... aside from everything being closed and the 430 Ferry out of Ocracoke not existing the hike has gone smooth. Planned on camping legally, hasn't happened so far. Im on the Ferry to Cedar Island and looking forward to getting closer to some actual trail. Cheers!

Pedaling Fool
03-08-2011, 10:27
Well, drove to Elizabeth City on Thursday anyways....talked to a lady in the Town Hall and they rented me a parking spot for 15 bucks(good for a month). So after to quick hitches I found my way to Kill Devil Hills on Friday. The "trail" has been nice so far. Good weather, easy walking, good folks etc..... aside from everything being closed and the 430 Ferry out of Ocracoke not existing the hike has gone smooth. Planned on camping legally, hasn't happened so far. Im on the Ferry to Cedar Island and looking forward to getting closer to some actual trail. Cheers!
Elizabeth City, that brings back memories. I did a bike tour around the east coast in '93 and rode the Ocracoke ferry to the outer banks, cycled north and exited via a very big bridge. Had to "limp" into Elizabeth City, NC to get a new rear wheel that was completely falling apart.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2011, 11:05
What was the reason for parking in Elizabeth City since the terminus is at Jockeys Ridge?

Are you hiking the whole or sectioning MST? Taba and another hiker named Heidi should be just west of the Croatan/New Bern.

Corrigan
03-09-2011, 20:34
I was planning a thru hike in may but quit my job early. Ill be doing half now, half whenever. Just got into Croatian from Davis.....36 miles today. Sip a whiskey and off to sleep

Corrigan
03-09-2011, 20:36
Oh and the reason for parking in elizabeth is greyhound. As far as I can tell that's the closest spot to ride greyhound to. Am I wrong, do they go to outer banks?

Taba
03-12-2011, 12:52
If you keep doing 36 mile days, you'll catch up to me in no time. I am going into Black Creek tomorrow.

Taba
03-12-2011, 12:55
If you keep doing 36 mile days, you'll catch up to me in no time. I am going into Black Creek tomorrow. Only doing about 10 miles today and 11 tomorrow. I am not running to the mountains to see snow in April but will be finished by the beginning of May.

squirrel bait
03-12-2011, 13:49
You are correct, there is no bus to the Outer Banks, EC is the closest. If I remember right, it's a small gas station on the south side of town.

Corrigan
03-13-2011, 11:14
Got into New Bern and caught a bus back to my car. Picked up some work this week and will be back out end of April. Weather was perfect this time of year, truly amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the trail and getting off the roads. Although road walking is pretty tough on my left knee I did enjoy the small towns the trail went through. I'll try and post a video later if I can figure out how......the church in Smyrna played music my entire walk through the town. Great trip overall.....I hope to see some of you in May!