PDA

View Full Version : Will I be warm enough?

hayjhooy
03-02-2011, 20:03
Whats up guys,
Well we are leaving on our Spring Break Adventure on Friday and I just had some last min questions. I bought one of these puffy jacket liners from the Army Supply store and I dont know wether to take that as my insulation or take a fleace. I have my rain jacket and pants and Im just worried that I might need more but I dont want to be to heavy at the same time. We are doing Springer Mt. so if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Papa D
03-02-2011, 20:12
one good insulating layer is plenty - for this time of year (and some of it is guess work and luck) - i'd have a base-layer, a fleece, a rain jacket and a stocking cap. You'll be plenty warm hiking. At night, I stuff sleeping clothes (long johns) in with my sleeping bag. Right now a 20 degree bag will probably be fine. Not sure about the puffy army jacket liner - not really "standard issue" on the AT - if it's heavy, I might leave it behind - do you have a down jacket? They compress really well, and are comfortable around camp, sleeping, etc. The basics of saving weight is not to replicate anything - you don't need two of anything whatsoever that is not spelled "s o c k s"

Llama Legs
03-02-2011, 20:28
Whats up guys,
Well we are leaving on our Spring Break Adventure on Friday and I just had some last min questions. I bought one of these puffy jacket liners from the Army Supply store and I dont know wether to take that as my insulation or take a fleace. I have my rain jacket and pants and Im just worried that I might need more but I dont want to be to heavy at the same time. We are doing Springer Mt. so if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Taking both a light fleece pullover and the field jacket liner would make a great combo for some low temps. Never thought of using the liner and they are pretty light...

hayjhooy
03-02-2011, 21:58
Yeah the liners are light. So I might end up taking a fleece that I got from work (for FREE) 100% Polyester is that ok? its not that heavy but it is a fleece.

bigcranky
03-02-2011, 22:03
The temps should be moderate next week, highs in the 50s and lows around freezing according to the forecast (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php). A field jacket liner is great, but I would take a light microfleece pullover as a warm base layer for around camp. Not a big 300-wt fleece jacket, but something dry to put on.

hayjhooy
03-02-2011, 22:11
This is what I have as clothes:
Hiking Clothes:
Columbia Convertible pants
Short Sleave Polyester Shirt
Pair of Coolmax/ Nylon socks

Sleeping/ Other Clothes:
Long Sleve Polyester Shirt
AMC Fleece
Rain Pants (I really like sleeping in these Rain Pants)

Blissful
03-02-2011, 22:40
Well I always take an insulating jacket this time of year, but that's me. I assume you have a hat and maybe gloves in the pile. :)