PDA

View Full Version : homemade stove

dropsofskywater
03-02-2011, 22:28
So I made a soda can stove and I love it. I have turned many nonbelievers into believers, but I feel like in slowly being talked into a MSR or jetboil should I stick with my original stove or go for one of the bigger names?

ChrisFol
03-02-2011, 22:38
Why do you feel like you need something more than your homemade alky stove?

I have used a MYOG fancy-feast stove for many years, recently I purchased a Venom Super Stove from Zelph ($12) and have been happy with that too. I do also have a Pocket Rocket and a Giga Power, but these days they just sit in the gear closet as I have no need for such stoves just to boil water.

sbhikes
03-02-2011, 22:58
Consider your homemade stove your first step toward self-sufficiency and the freedom from being a slave to consumerism.

NCarolinaHiker
03-02-2011, 23:23
Odd.

The above being said, if you wanted to buy a Jetboil the time is ripe. New models coming out soon means plummeting prices on old models, and notably - there has been at least half a dozen really, really good deals on lightly used Jetboils popping up here and on other forums recently.

As far as an MSR (I'm assuming you're thinking Pocket Rocket here?) - they're not worth their weight. Bulkier, heavier, and less useful than cheaper and equally costly competitors. If you're looking for what the Pocket Rocket offers - get something better, a Jetboil.

dropsofskywater
03-03-2011, 01:56
Thank you, Thank you! consumerism that's it! Thank you!

Jedeye
03-03-2011, 09:35
I use my cat food can stove for what I would call serious hiking trips, but I love taking my jetboil for short trips with friends where I want to boil water quick.

Koinseb
03-03-2011, 10:30
I use my cat food can stove for what I would call serious hiking trips, but I love taking my jetboil for short trips with friends where I want to boil water quick.

That's exactly my take as well.
When I go with other "serious" hikers I always take my cat can stove. It's reliable and super lightweight.

When I go with "sofa hikers" I'll take the pocket rocket.
It's heavier, less reliable and fuel is more expensive. But it delivers the morning coffee three minutes faster, which seems to outweigh the disadvantages for certain people :rolleyes:

zelph
03-03-2011, 19:06
So I made a soda can stove and I love it. I have turned many nonbelievers into believers, but I feel like in slowly being talked into a MSR or jetboil should I stick with my original stove or go for one of the bigger names?

Go for the big names and big prices if it makes you feel good. It's what you want that counts.;)

LIhikers
03-05-2011, 01:31
I have an MSR white gas stove for use in the heart of winter.
Not only does it work well in the cold, but if you have to melt snow to get your water it's got a couple of advantages orver an alcohol stove.

TallShark
03-05-2011, 16:48
Super cat for the win.