PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend National Park

HeadiesHiker11
03-03-2011, 01:13
:bananaIm headed to Big Bend this saturday any tips landmarks to see trail to hit? Let me know also any desert hiking tips would be great.:banana:banana:sun:sun:sun

wythekari
03-03-2011, 01:47
Desert hiking tips = my big three are water, hat (mine is the military floppy for ear and face coverage), and long sleeve REI lightwght shirt - theirs is a UPF 50 but others make them also. Water is obvious, hat will keep your head from frying and ears from burning, and ls shirt will keep sun off of neck and arms and a loose one will be comfortable. After that - binos, camera - keep it handy (not in pack) there s/b all sorts of wildlife, hiking poles, and then your choice of guide book pages, map or gps. My Big Bend time has all been on the river not trails. But lots of time hiking in Anza Borrego.

skinewmexico
03-03-2011, 02:21
Lots of water.

swjohnsey
03-03-2011, 07:31
Really big place, lots to see. Think about taking River Road to Presidio. Terligua is worth a look. Boot Canyon trail, usually lotsa birds, Old Mine Road.

Look out for the bears! There have been some lately.

hobbs
03-03-2011, 08:56
I think everyone hit the biggy water...Glad you picked this month.Made the mistake of doing it during a spring break..To many people...

HeadiesHiker11
03-03-2011, 09:27
Haha yea well being a student Spring Break is about the only time to get out. Water is a huge issue;I plan on trying to hike the outter moutain loop and the trail corsses several streams I hear they could either be flowing or not im guessing their not flowing.

Cookerhiker
03-03-2011, 09:44
2 suggestions based on my recent trips:

1. Circuit hike along the network of trails in the Chisos Mountains - I've done this as a day hike, starting early in the morning. Since the starting point is near the Visitors Center and Campground, you'll have a lot of company on this hike.

2. In contrast, I backpacked the 14 mile Marufo Vega Trail in the eastern end of the Park near the river. There's no water on this stretch; despite views of the river, it's not accessible. This link (http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/east_hikes.htm) gives a brief description. While 14 miles can be a dayhike, I chose to do an overnight because I had never backpacked in the desert before. Along with cameling up beforehand, I carried 5 liters of water & gatorade and used every drop. Didn't see anyone the first day and only one person the second. There were sections of rocky footing making for slow going. Being alone, I kept a constant watch for cougars. Re. bears, I covered food (in a hard-plastic container with rocks and thankfully it was undisturbed.

Also did a one-day canoe trip on the River outside the west side of the Park. At the time, the outfitters were worried about being forced out of business because of Homeland Security rules regarding passport requirements. We actually landed on the Mexican side once to explore a real cool canyon.

Writing this and reading your post makes me wish I was going there now! Have a great trip!

skinewmexico
03-03-2011, 10:32
Haha yea well being a student Spring Break is about the only time to get out. Water is a huge issue;I plan on trying to hike the outter moutain loop and the trail corsses several streams I hear they could either be flowing or not im guessing their not flowing.

There may be streams on a map, but they'll only flow after a rain. And there hasn't been any of that in something like...........5 months (at least where I live)?

tuswm
03-03-2011, 12:44
I was just there in January and did the outer mountain loop. its nice...but cache your water. you wont find much if any.

I wish i had left less time for hiking and more time for exploring caves. also long pants are good so you dont spent your nights pulling out thorns.

Frogdown
03-03-2011, 12:55
Like they all say - WATER! I sold 10 acres about five miles from Big Bend just this week. I know the area well. They find dead bodies out there! Check the latest information at Panther Junction. Have a beer with Doc on the porch in Terlingua Ghost Town.

WI_Mike
03-03-2011, 13:15
Definitely do the Ross Maxwell Drive which will be a loop. Santa Elena Canyon is a must see with a trail that heads into the canyon.

As you're heading south from the Castolon/Santa Elena Junction (see map) you will soon get to a rocky road on the eastern side of the road. Really, make sure your vehicle can handle it. You'll eventually hit a parking lot and I forget the details but from here you can go to Cattail Falls which is along an unadvertized trail (not on the park map). Our guide told us about it and it was awesome. Hike through the desert to an oasis with a great waterfall that could be good this time of year. Highly recommend it. See if the park service staff will tell you about it or look up www.bigbendchat.com (http://www.bigbendchat.com) and see if you can find directions.

Have a beer with the Mayor of Lajitas, a goat named Clay Henry (ask about it once you get there). Boquillas Canyon also a must see (they are re-opening the border hopefully by next year!), but for now it's a pretty neat spot. A number of other sites like Mule Ears, the Window, Balanced Rock some of which I saw some which I did not.

Check this site out, they do have Cattail Falls there but it's not named.

http://www.virtualbigbend.com/

Spirit Walker
03-03-2011, 13:41
You may be in mid-Spring break time. Do you have campsite reservations? If you don't, and they tell you the campgrounds are full, you still have options. You can park your car and camp near your car. If that is full, there is 'zone camping' where you park your car and walk out of sight in a special zone. We had a very nice night cowboy camping and watching a thunderstorm over the mountains. The campground down by the Rio Grande is also nice. Seems to me I read something this week that they are going to reopen the border crossing at the park -

Hikes: the Chisos loop is about 13 miles, a nice dayhike. Lost Mine Trail is about 5 miles. There is a good backpack trip in Big Bend State Park. The Chimney Trail in the NP is also nice, especially from the western side. It's 7 miles between the roads, so if you have a driver you can do a one way, if not you can go out and back as far as you choose. If you're flying into to El Paso, Hueco Tanks is an incredible pictograph site.

Graywolf
03-03-2011, 14:48
One of my favorite hike, besides the Chisos loop, is Glen Spring and the Mule Ear Peak networks. Like others have said, Water is a must, but Glen Spring is an underground stream and is always flowing COLD water. You should be ok this time of year. Not as hot, weather is great and the cactus should be in bloom. Makes for nice pictures and props for background Mountains..

Have fun...It really is a beautiful park.

Graywolf

SunnyWalker
03-03-2011, 22:49
Do the Window Hike out of the basin. But then take the trail down from there across the desert going West and walk to the highway. Hitch a ride back to Panther Junct. Really neat. Don't take stove for overnighting. This will give you more room for food and WATER. People die in BB so take it east. Read the advice and stuff the Ranger give you. DO NOT hike at dusk or early in the morning when light is dim. Wait until it is real light. I know this is hard becasue you want to get going. But this is the most dangerous time for Cougar attacks. Their eyesight is bad and it is at those times when attacks of hikers occur. When it is light they won't want any part of you. Definitely take a set of binocs with you. If you have time do a day hike up the Chisos and look for the Colima Warbler. Only place it enters USA is BB Chisos Mtns. Take care and have fun. -Chaplain

Railroad King
03-04-2011, 10:18
I did a trip report a year ago on Big Bend. Really wish we had time to do the desert trails.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61624

SunnyWalker
03-05-2011, 00:55
Railroad King: Awesome photos. The place has not changed, still so beautiful. I loved the true quietness also.

HeadiesHiker11
03-16-2011, 00:27
Just to let you all know the trip was a great success and the desert was a different creature than western NC which i am familiar with. many beers were drank in terlinguia and yes Doc was present

mudhead
03-16-2011, 05:20
Did you see the funky deer?