PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions...

Chubbs4U
03-03-2011, 02:04
Recently got 2 new Gregory packs and tried my Z35 today. It fits great, so far and the light load I did bring wasnt a problem at all. Couple questions though. Im not a fan of having stuff in my front pockets and on my Z35 I have a waist belt with 2 mesh pockets which is nice but I may want another small one maybe on the strap. Is there something I can add to the strap so that I could maybe hold my camera or something of the like. Also on my Teton 60 I have no mesh pockets on the belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also something I noticed. What I believe is the pocket for my water bladder inside my bag, it doesnt fit properly when the bladder is full of water. Is there a certain size I should get or only fill it up a certain percent. Seems silly to have a space for it and not be able to use it. Thanks again

bigcranky
03-03-2011, 08:42
Camera pouch: I have this from Mountainsmith (http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=268&categoryId=13&subCategoryId=12&subCategory2Id=0), it holds a small p+s camera and fits on my pack's shoulder strap. I found it at a local outfitter.

Waist pockets: I use a small waist pack ("fanny" pack) to carry my gear, even when my pack does have hip belt pockets. You can get these almost anywhere, Wallymart has a nice one, or you can find the Eagle Creek brand in a lot of places.

Bladder pocket: I don't use those, so I can't help you, sorry.

Old Hiker
03-03-2011, 08:49
Not sure of that pack, but I have a small camera pouch to fit the camera and I clip the sternum strap through the belt loop on the pouch. The camera is right where I need it if a quick shot comes up. I have one with a velcro flap and one with a zipper and I kinda like the velcro better.

Side trail: my only problem with quick shots between the dad-gum new-fangled digital camera is the time to turn it on. My elderly (antique) Advantix camera was ready to go with a quick lever flip to open the shutter. I DO like 8 gig memory cards though!

Majortrauma
03-03-2011, 09:06
I broke the code on this pouch thing REAL cheap. I did not like my butt pack at all but needed one to carry misc items I needed/wanted ready access to.
I'm a huge shopper at my local thrift store so I went there and found a lot of discarded camera pouches in various sizes with al kinds of zippers, velcro etc for $1.00-3.00 each. Jackpot!!
I can put them on my pack belt or on the straps and it's far more convenient and comfortable then my butt pack.

Turtle Feet
03-03-2011, 09:14
I have one of these that I like alot, http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

Weighs nothing, very strong, good construction. It's designed to carry a smallish water bottle & some extras, but you could certainly just put your camera in there.

As for your internal water bladder pocket; in my experience, they do tend to stretch a little with use. Do you mean it won't go in at all, or it's something you have to force in? I have a 2L bladder and ususally carry 1.5 liters at a time. Not sure if you have the same size, but try filling about 2/3 full and leave it in the pocket, over time it'll be easier to put in and take out.

BigRing
03-03-2011, 11:43
Here is another suggestion. I purchased two small fanny packs from wallyworld. I cut the belt off the packs and stitched them onto the ouside of my hip belt using a heavy poly thread and canvas needle. I keep my camera in one, so it is always at the ready!

Chubbs4U
03-03-2011, 19:24
Thanks guys. Turtle I do like those a bit. May end up ordering a pair just trying to see my other options.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2011, 19:32
I broke the code on this pouch thing REAL cheap. I did not like my butt pack at all but needed one to carry misc items I needed/wanted ready access to.
I'm a huge shopper at my local thrift store so I went there and found a lot of discarded camera pouches in various sizes with al kinds of zippers, velcro etc for $1.00-3.00 each. Jackpot!!
I can put them on my pack belt or on the straps and it's far more convenient and comfortable then my butt pack.

By far a great answer - In the past I have had problems with digitals because of cold temps, so a pouch not a open hipbelt pocket, keeps the dirt out and makes sure you get a great photo.