PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Mistakenly Shoots Teenager

ganj
11-24-2002, 23:00
Hunting accident (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.asp?storyid=24516)

I just came across this on Google news. Another article said that it happened near Jarrod Gap.

Note: Just noticed the thread below addressing this. My bad.

MedicineMan
11-25-2002, 00:05
Why not the same laws concerning National Parks and National Scenic Trails....i.e. no hunting in the AT corridor...say 1/2 mile on either side of the trail?
Don't get me wrong. I am a hunter but the last place I would hunt is near the trail for simple logistical reasons of knowing that hikers on the AT are extant throughout the year and my chances are much smaller where there is hiker traffic...but back to the law, any reason hunting should not be restricted to a protective corridor around the trail???

Lugnut
11-25-2002, 01:17
Hunting is restricted within 300 yards ( I think that is the correct distance) and is definitely not permitted on the trail. Hunters are permitted to use the trail to travel from one site to the next and then are "supposed" to move away from the trail corridor. Guess this didn't happen in this case.

Jack Tarlin
11-25-2002, 16:39
The young lady is evidently going to be fine.

The hunter in question should, in my opinion, go to jail.

Incidentally, this was this poor kid's FIRST experience with the Trail or overnight camping; I think it'd be cool if she heard from other folks in the long-distance hiking world. If anyone wants to send her a get-well-soon message, check out www.stjosephsatlanta.org The patient's name is Rachel Ferguson.

Hikerhead
11-25-2002, 20:11
Jack, the link to the girl requires a room number.

I dropped in an "0" and it went thru.

Maybe it will get forwarded.

Thanks.

mntman777
11-25-2002, 21:45
What ever happend to hunter safety courses that teach you not to shoot at something just because it moves. This hunter is a jackass and should not be allowed to hunt for a while. I couldn't beleive my ears when i heard the news. I actually heard it was near springer Mnt. Anyway.

chris
11-26-2002, 09:36
If he spends some time in jail, he won't get a chance to hunt for a bit.

portugee
11-26-2002, 10:25
According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution Rachel Ferguson is in fair condition and could be released this week end. The hunter, 21 year old Mathew Bryant, has been charged with misusing a firearm, a felony with a penalty of up to 10 years and a fine of up to $5,000. Rachel has expressed a desire that Bryant not be prosecuted. The part of the trail where this incident occured is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. The Forest is open to hunting in season.

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2002, 14:01
The Room #, if anyone wants to send a get well greeting, is ICU 216.

ganj
11-27-2002, 13:56
In response to the hunting poll started above.....the only thing a hiker can do is wear blaze orange, be aware of the surroundings, know what seasons are open at the time you hike etc. But the bottom line comes down to the hunter taking responsibility while he is out there. Some of these rednecks just shoot cause they hear something walking.

ganj
12-08-2002, 12:57
Girl goes home (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.asp?storyid=24968)

gearplace
12-09-2002, 12:59
That's sad. I've grown up in a family of backpacking and hunting. I know that this is not the time of year to go on a backcountry trip. To many crazies out there with 12 guages! Some people will shoot anything that moves during the season